Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

To add insult to injury.

Harper Conservatives cut $1 billion from agriculture
Tuesday, November 17, 2009

In the midst of the severe crisis facing hog and beef producers, nearly $1 billion in spending for agriculture programs has been cut, Liberal Agriculture Critic Wayne Easter said today.

“When hog farmers were facing a crisis through no fault of their own, rather than aid them, this government turned their back on them,” said Mr. Easter. “One billion dollars could have helped farm families significantly in easing their struggles and transforming the industry for the future. This is nothing short of a disgrace.”

Mr. Easter was commenting on figures found in the recently released Agriculture & Agri-food Canada Performance Report for 2008-09. According to the report, agriculture program spending dropped from $2.4 billion in 2007-08 to $1.5 billion in 2008-09.

“That’s nearly $1 billion cut out of Canada’s struggling farming community,” said Mr. Easter. “This Conservative government is taking farmers for granted. They are ruling from Ottawa and leaving hard-working farm families without assistance in their time of need.”

Adding insult to injury, this reduction comes on top of the Conservatives’ broken promise on their cost of production program, support for beef processing capacity and their agricultural flexibility program.

“When BSE hit, a Liberal government delivered for farmers with a $2 billion aid package,” said Mr. Easter. “We worked hard to balance the nation's finances so we had the financial capacity to help farmers in need. This is no longer the case under Stephen Harper.”

“Instead of helping farm families, Stephen Harper decided to spend millions of taxpayer dollars on partisan political advertising,” concluded Mr. Easter. “This was where Stephen Harper and Gerry Ritz decided to place their priorities.”

http://www.wayneeaster.com/media_reports_item.php?newsrel_id=407

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Below is the reply I received from my Conservative MP in my riding when I sent him this announcement - Thoughts/comment?
I responded that it is very unusual for a government agency NOT to use up it's entire budget and that the hog industry would have been a suitable recipient for the excess $

Thank you for the email

First of all, this was not an announcement. This was comments made by the Liberal Critic for agriculture.

Programs have not been cut but instead usage of the BRM payments decreased last year. 3.2 billion Was budgeted for last year with only 2.6 billion being used.

Payments under AgriRecovery were done due to the decrease in natural disasters. Regarding livestock, 1.2 billion over the past couple of years have been paid out with $711 million in advance payments for the 09-09 year and the first half o the 09-10 year.

I appreciate your concerns but the information that you have received is inaccurate.
Hi Ron:

It would really help if we knew the name of the MP that responded with the information below.

Who is the Conservative MP?

thank you
Ron Steenbergen said:
Below is the reply I received from my Conservative MP in my riding when I sent him this announcement - Thoughts/comment?
I responded that it is very unusual for a government agency NOT to use up it's entire budget and that the hog industry would have been a suitable recipient for the excess $

Thank you for the email

First of all, this was not an announcement. This was comments made by the Liberal Critic for agriculture.

Programs have not been cut but instead usage of the BRM payments decreased last year. 3.2 billion Was budgeted for last year with only 2.6 billion being used.

Payments under AgriRecovery were done due to the decrease in natural disasters. Regarding livestock, 1.2 billion over the past couple of years have been paid out with $711 million in advance payments for the 09-09 year and the first half o the 09-10 year.

I appreciate your concerns but the information that you have received is inaccurate.
Just another case of governments not knowing anything about agriculture and doing whatever they please whenever they please and not having to be accountable to anyone

Tom Murray said:
Ron Steenbergen said:

Thank you for the email

Joe Preston - Conservative MP for Elgin-London-Middlesex

Joann said:
Hi Ron:

It would really help if we knew the name of the MP that responded with the information below.

Who is the Conservative MP?

thank you

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Ontario Winter Wheat Yields a Pleasant Surprise for Some

Winter wheat harvest is winding down across the province and reported yields to date have ranged from 80-130 bu/ac which compares well to the five-year average yield of 82.7 bushels/ac, according to the latest provincial crop report.

Optimum Planting Dates for Winter Wheat in Ontario

As we saw with the 2019 winter wheat crop, if winter wheat is planted late and if conditions are not fit, there is a greater risk of winter survival issues.

Exeter Agribusiness Breakfast Meeting Minutes

The status of crops varies in the region with some areas not looking too bad while others are showing signs of moisture stress with growers reporting less than ½ inch of rainfall since the beginning of July.

Crop producers granted extension to repay cash advances

Farmers form the backbone of rural communities across Canada. They are integral to expanding our middle-class and strengthening our economy.

Government of Canada invests to help reduce pesticide applications for Fruit and Vegetable Industry

Jean-Claude Poissant, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food, on behalf of the Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, announced an investment of over $1.4 million to the Mirabel Agri-Food Research Center (CRAM) to help develop alternative approaches to pesticide use for Canadian fruit and vegetable greenhouse growers.

© 2019   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service