Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

So far this year it appears that the Ontario wheat yield is destined to break the record for the Ontario average as the yields have been better than expected following the late planting dates. Our Farm located just south of London, produced 101bu/acre SRW wheat using Hyland Emmit. Neighbors in the area have ranged from 80 to 110+ bu/acre. Emmit has lead yields the past three years, but I've heard reports that R47 is outyielding emmit this year? Has anyone had sprouting issues following the recent percipitation. How have your yields been? 

Views: 2405

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The first field we took off yielded 70 bushels but after that it was anywhere from 40 to 55 It was SRW wheat Huntley . Very dissappointing ! That was near Otterville in Oxford County
We are nearing the end here in Troy (between Brantford and Hamilton). Yields have been highly variable from some up in the 100 bu range to those in the 60's. The best yields seem to come from nearer the lake where they was some lake effect and came off a week or so ahead of that further from the lake. The early test weight was very good 385-390 g/.5l but have fallen with every rain event. We are now seeing many in the 350-360 range. R 47 is yielding as well as any but seems to have taken the biggest hit on test weight compared to the Emmitt. Protein on the hard reds was mostly lower than average, less than half made the 11% protein and even the very best was only slightly over 11%. Fusarium was nearly non existant early but a few loads, especially after corn sileage had troublesome levels. I'd guess 2/3 or better of the wheat was sprayed with fungicide this year. More should be next year with the availability of Carumba and Prosaro adding more options. Most of our wheat went in after the middle of October as the beans were late coming off, I would suggest this was a major drag on yields as the winter was mild and the spring/early summer good for wheat growth. An enormous amount of activity in forward sales of 2011 and 2012 wheat and a high percentage of the 2010 crop has been sold rather than stored. Nearby basis is very weak with the level of selling but lots of carry in the market for those who have the ability to store. I expect that weather permitting we will see a record acreage of wheat in Ontario this fall, should keep Mr Johnson busy as quite a few who don't normally grow wheat around here are planning some for next year.
Anybody have issues with wheat sprouting? My wheat averaged 98 bu/ac with no fusariam or other issues.Overall an excellent crop.

Frank B
Farms.com Risk Management
I haven't heard of any soft red sprouting, but I have heard reports of soft white sprouting. Excellent yields, even with low test weight.

OntAG Admin said:
Anybody have issues with wheat sprouting? My wheat averaged 98 bu/ac with no fusariam or other issues.Overall an excellent crop.

Frank B
Farms.com Risk Management
Found a Youtube video from Ontario on the Harvest.

We are a small farm in Southern Ontario, Canada. The wheat is yeilding around 100+ bushels per acre and around 15 % moisture. We are using the ez guide 500 system with vrs RTK one inch accuracy. The combine we use is a 2366 with a 25 foot 1020 case flex head. Grain cart 750 unverferth with a mx210 running it. We are just finishing up our wheat before we start custom work. Hit with alot of rain so far drawing out our wheat harvest

My yield 72 bu/ac (just below avg). Hail damage very evident. Neighbours around 70 bu to 85 bu. Have not heard of the 100+ locally that we have had in previous years. No fusarium dockage or sprouts but a bit of Grade 3. Easy harvest with decent straw. 
I found this good video on Youtube reporting their harvest results...

Libbrecht Farms 2010 Wheat Harvest. Case 2366 Axial-Flow Combine. In Southwestern Ontario Canada. Wheat was yielding 100+ Bushels Per Acre.

Another great harvest video.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

How one company is reducing agricultural waste on Earth Day

As the world celebrates Earth Day on Monday, one agriculture organization is reflecting on the work it accomplished in 2023. According to a release from CleanFarms, a non-profit group that ensures farmers actively contribute to a healthy environment, the agriculture industry used many recycling and safe disposal programs for agricultural plastics and packaging last year, and there’s certainly an appetite for more solutions in the future. One example that CleanFarms offers is AgriRÉCUP in Quebec, which operated four permanent collection programs and two pilot programs in the province that captured pesticide and fertilizer containers, plastics for hay and silage protection and seed, and pesticide and fertilizer bags. “We’re thrilled to have seen so much expansion in our programs last year,” said Barry Friesen, executive director of Cleanfarms. “Earth Day encourages us to acknowledge the important work we get to do on behalf of our members, with farmers, first sellers, ag retailers, an

More incentive for grads to consider agriculture-focused vet career

On any given day, Prince Albert, SK veterinarian Peter Surkan sees roughly 40 patients, but for every patient he sees, there are dozens more waiting. To accommodate all of the clients in the area, Surkan said there needs to be more vets, especially in smaller, rural communities. His practice in Prince Albert only has three full and part-time veterinarians, compared to 10 vets a decade ago. On Friday, the province announced $13.2 million in funding to the Western College of Veterinary Medicine (WCVM) in 2024-25, representing a $667,000 increase over last year. The money will partially subsidize 25 training seats for Saskatchewan students. “We continue to see a rising demand for veterinary services in the province and they are a key support for our growing economy,” Advanced Education Minister Gordon Wyant said in a press release. “This is a priority investment for Advanced Education that supports the continued implementation with five new seats, bringing the total now to 25 seats, t

Squeal on Pigs Manitoba receives new Sustainable Canadian Agricultural Partnership funding

Manitoba Pork, in partnership with the Government of Canada and the Province of Manitoba, and in collaboration with Manitoba’s agricultural sector, is pleased to announce that the Squeal on Pigs Manitoba initiative will receive over $2.6 million over the next four years to further the work of tracking and removing wild pigs from Manitoba’s landscape. “Wild pigs continue to thrive across Manitoba and are vectors for many diseases that have a devastating impact on both domestic pigs as well as other animals,” said Dr. Wayne Lees, project coordinator, Squeal on Pigs Manitoba. “Together with our partners in both the provincial and federal governments, as well as Manitoba’s agricultural sector and stakeholders across the province, this new funding will allow us to further our efforts to track, trap, and remove wild pigs from the landscape and protect our province.” The goal of the Squeal on Pigs campaign is to identify where wild pigs are in Manitoba, control their spread, and remove as m

Another year of guaranteed financial return for CRSB Certified beef producers from Cargill, its supply chain partners and the Canadian Roundtable for Sustainable Beef

The Canadian Roundtable for Sustainable Beef (CRSB) has once again partnered with Cargill and its customers – Centennial Food Solutions, Gordon Food Service, Intercity Packers, MacGregors Meat & Seafood, McDonald’s Canada, Metro, Recipe Unlimited and Walmart – to provide up to $400 CAD for beef producers maintaining their CRSB Certification. This credit will be provided for another year to “fill the gap” for Canadian beef producers who have made the upfront investment of becomingCRSB Certified but did not receive at least $400 CACargill Certification Credit USE D in financial return for qualifying cattle processed in 2023 as part of the existing Qualifying Cattle Credits  I would like to extend my sincere thanks to these organizations for supporting the CRSB Certified program for another year. In 2024, CRSB will prioritize identifying long-term solutions to ensure certification provides financial value and enduring benefit to producer participation,” said Ryan Beierbach, Chair of the

Competition Bureau Raises Concerns with Bunge-Viterra Merger

The Competition Bureau has thrown some cold water on the proposed Viterra-Bunge merger. 

© 2024   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service