Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

After hearing that both levels of government want to do more meetings and discuss the future of agriculture in Canada I wonder if it is time to bring all non supply managed farmers and their elected officials together for a major rally to get the point accross that wait and see is not an answer and we need results now. Is this a good idea and if so how do we get the ball rolling.

Views: 548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tom Murray said:
JoAnne Caughill said:
I agree with John that it is the Provincial Government that needs to help us out right away to save this Industry. However I would not let the Federal Government off the hook so quickly. They have AgriStability which (even though Gerry thinks it does) IS NOT working for producers. His 80% satisfaction rating has to be many years old. They need to fix this program. Sheila Frasier, Auditor General has spoke severely against this program and it's ability to work as it should as outlined in the Farm Income Protection Act. We need to take Gerry to task on this program and make it stand up to their (Government's) own test of FIPA.

I think we need a MAJOR protest - and yes as pointed out in another email - it would be great if all Provinces could agree to protest together on the same dates. Anyone interested in this from other provinces can contact me through this chat forum. Let's work together.
To pull off a major rally, there needs to be more than a grass roots revolt....there needs to be organization and lots of communication...where are ofa and cfa on this? they have the time and ability...do we need to push them into action?
It is not wether we need to push them but how we push them. I do not think they are listening and understanding how bad things really are or they would be organizing something already.
RoadRunner

I see you asking where the OFA is and why they have not been organizing rallies. As a vice president in the Bruce County federation of Agriculture I am going to turn the question around and ask where have the members been? OFA has been asking for the RMP and other programs and changes. We have not been getting much response from Government to our requests. We know things have to change BUT we are not seeing much from our members. Last fall at our county annual meeting ( with almost 1400 members in the county) we had 70 people out, about 1/2 were directors and spouses, plus media and politicians, hardly any regular members. There were NO resolutions presented for us to do anything different and I think the hog and beef sectors were in trouble last fall too. We always make our monthly board meetings open to members, and we never have any come. If you want to push OFA to do more you have to show up. Go to your county meeting and ask them to do more. Better yet take 25 of your neighbours with you. If 5 or 6 regional directors go to the next OFA board meeting and say they each had 50 or 100 members out to the last county board meetings demanding rallies/protests etc then more is likely to happen.

The leadership of OFA can't do everything for the members without some help. Our county can't even fill all the township director chairs, and most of us have off farm work besides, so we need more help. If you want to provide it, we will accept.
Do you think that there might be to many orginizations. I belong to several and the same message is being put out but like you say not enough people coming forward at each groups meetings. Maybe we need less groups working for us in order to have a united voice. I wonder if one orginization stepped up and really started to push how many people would come out. I feel most people do not bother because they see it is a slow process and of little value. One load group seems to work in places in Europe as well as in Quebec.

John Gillespie said:
RoadRunner

I see you asking where the OFA is and why they have not been organizing rallies. As a vice president in the Bruce County federation of Agriculture I am going to turn the question around and ask where have the members been? OFA has been asking for the RMP and other programs and changes. We have not been getting much response from Government to our requests. We know things have to change BUT we are not seeing much from our members. Last fall at our county annual meeting ( with almost 1400 members in the county) we had 70 people out, about 1/2 were directors and spouses, plus media and politicians, hardly any regular members. There were NO resolutions presented for us to do anything different and I think the hog and beef sectors were in trouble last fall too. We always make our monthly board meetings open to members, and we never have any come. If you want to push OFA to do more you have to show up. Go to your county meeting and ask them to do more. Better yet take 25 of your neighbours with you. If 5 or 6 regional directors go to the next OFA board meeting and say they each had 50 or 100 members out to the last county board meetings demanding rallies/protests etc then more is likely to happen.

The leadership of OFA can't do everything for the members without some help. Our county can't even fill all the township director chairs, and most of us have off farm work besides, so we need more help. If you want to provide it, we will accept.
I have to agree with both Tom and roadrunner. Like who is the Bruce county federation of agriculture. When I start looking around there are way to many groups all trying to work towards helping agriculture but not unified enough with each other to make a difference. I have not been to my own cattlemens meeting for 15 years or more mainly to busy but I am going this year because everyones voice is important and now is the time to stand up or soon there will be nothing to stand up for.

Tom Murray said:
Do you think that there might be to many orginizations. I belong to several and the same message is being put out but like you say not enough people coming forward at each groups meetings. Maybe we need less groups working for us in order to have a united voice. I wonder if one orginization stepped up and really started to push how many people would come out. I feel most people do not bother because they see it is a slow process and of little value. One load group seems to work in places in Europe as well as in Quebec.

John Gillespie said:
RoadRunner

Well the BCFA is the local level of OFA. We deal with local issues, and act as a voice for members to interact with the provincial OFA.

I do agree there are too many groups, and that the Quebec model works much better, getting there is going to be an interesting process but some parts are starting (Grain Farmers).

The real question is if we do decide to become more active, (and rallies are just one option, a very concentrated lobby on MP/MPP's may be just as effective, if say every MP/MPP had a personal visit every day, and a call and fax every 15 minutes for 2 or 3 weeks) how many people are going to support us, and how many have just given up?
The real point is one of our leadership has to step up and tell us what needs to be done and tell it so that we get a huge majority on board. If not we might as well quit right now. I will support anything that is seen as helping the cause but I am sick of going to meetings that do not accomplish anything. The farm can no longer support my family so my wife and myself ( just like many others ) have found it necessary to work full time jobs and run the farm, how much time do we have to attend meetings that appear to be going no where......none

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Governments Of Canada And Manitoba Celebrate Agriculture By Supporting Royal Manitoba Winter Fair

The governments of Canada and Manitoba are providing financial support to the Royal Manitoba Winter Fair in Brandon, one of Manitoba’s key cultural events, federal Agriculture and Agri-Food Minister Lawrence MacAulay and Manitoba Agriculture Minister Ron Kostyshyn announced here today. Through the Sustainable Canadian Agricultural Partnership, the governments of Canada and Manitoba are providing $20,000 to the Provincial Exhibition of Manitoba for a one-year sponsorship of the Royal Manitoba Winter Fair. The sponsorship supports agriculture as the backbone of the provincial economy as a leader in innovation, research and job creation. The Royal Manitoba Winter Fair in Brandon is organized by the Provincial Exhibition of Manitoba. It is one of Canada’s largest agricultural events, showcasing the Manitoba Cup, livestock shows and sales, more than 300 commercial and agricultural exhibits, the Royal Farm Yard and more. The Manitoba Cup Equestrian Event is Manitoba’s premier horse jumpin

Qualified Alberta Pulse Growers Eligible for 11.9% Tax Credit for Investing in Research

The Alberta Pulse Growers Commission has confirmed that 11.9% of eligible producers’ 2023 check-off payment is eligible for the Scientific Research & Experimental Development (SR&ED) tax credit for their investment in APG-funded research and development projects. Producers who have paid check-off this past year and have not asked for refunds are eligible claimants for this year’s credits. For more detailed information about the SR&ED Tax Credit, APG advises you to contact an accountant or the Canada Revenue Agency. For a history of SR&ED with Alberta Pulse Growers visit https://albertapulse.com/growing-pulses/sred-tax-credit/ . A summary of APG research investments in 2022-23 is available at https://albertapulse.com/research/. The federal SR&ED tax program is administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and encourages businesses to invest in and perform research and development in Canada. The SR&ED Tax Credit application forms for individual producers and Canadian controlled pri

Saskatchewan Government Delivers for Agriculture

The Saskatchewan Government delivered for grain farmers in the 2024 – 25 budget. Allocating $570.6 billion towards a variety of programs that support the agriculture industry, grain farmers will have access to a variety of risk management programs, including Crop Insurance and AgriStability. “It is a great assurance to Saskatchewan grain farmers as we plan our 2024 growing season, knowing that these programs will backstop us,” said Daryl Fransoo, Chair. Grain farming is a key part of the provincial economy, exporting over $20 billion in agri-food products and harvesting over 31 million acres across the province. “The Saskatchewan Government understands the value that agriculture brings to our economy and hears the needs of grain farmers. Their stance on the carbon tax is a great step and one that the Wheat Growers supports,” closed Fransoo. About the Wheat Growers: Founded in 1970, the Wheat Growers Association is a voluntary farmer-run advocacy organization dedicated to developing

Do More Ag fills board seats

Five individuals have been selected to serve on the board of directors for the Do More Agriculture Foundation (Do More Ag). Board chair Lauren Martin said the combined expertise of the new board members will drive the Foundation’s strategic objectives forward and each new board member brings unique perspectives and innovative ideas to Do More Ag’s mission of promoting mental health awareness and support within the Canadian agriculture industry. The new board members include Calvin Sonntag, the executive chair of BrettYoung Seeds; fifth generation farmer Robert Hunter; Holstein Canada CEO Sartaj Sarkaria; beef producer Emma Cross; and Angela Geddes, the spouse of a beef farmer on the East Coast and owner of “Soul on Fire Coaching,” Martin said this is a significant step towards a future where all members of the agriculture community are encouraged, supported, and empowered to take care of their mental wellbeing. “We are exceptionally pleased to welcome Angela, Calvin, Emma, Robert,

Research underway to benefit sustainability of swine industry

The Western College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Saskatchewan is working to develop an on-farm tool for pork production companies to make business decisions to meet animal welfare and sustainability goals. The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) in partnership with 14 industry partners and the university provided funding for the research program in swine welfare. The program is led by Dr. Yolane Seddon. Her team of four research scientists and technicians will study data gathered from interviews with producers who make management decisions, as well as herd vets in Canada and the United States. “The outcome of this work is that we aim to produce a tool that will support decision making on the farm that will influence animal welfare, but also with the knowledge of how it interacts with business, profitability and environmental emissions and therefore, overall business sustainability goals that could influence market access,” Seddon explain

© 2024   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service