Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Heard on the news this morning about another sad loss to the Grey County area. A few weeks ago millions of dollars of damage occurred from a tornado. Now the local ice cream plant has burned to the ground. We usually buy Chapmans Premium Ice Cream because it is made in Ontario and the first ingredient is "Cream" - therefore they get to use the "little blue cow" logo.
On one hand I want to say go out and buy a 2L tub (Plastic container) of Chapmans Ice Cream because it is on sale this week at Zehr's. On the other hand I do not want to tell you that because I need to stock up my freezer since there will probably be limited supply in a few weeks.
Full news report at CKNX websites:
http://am920.ca/news.php?area=details&cat_id=4&art_id=6364
http://www.1017theone.ca/news.php?area=details&art_id=6364
Photos by Kirk Scott

Views: 542

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Wayne: Have you heard if they plan to rebuild or not? How many employees work there...tough situation in a small town like Markdale...

Joe
Yes they plan to re-build in Markdale. They are pretty dedicated to the town since they are the largest employer with 400 employees. Another reason to support this business: David Chapman said "they will continue to pay their 400 employees for however long it takes" at a news conference Sunday Sept. 6th.
for more information on the company: http://www.chapmans.ca/

Joe Dales said:
Hi Wayne: Have you heard if they plan to rebuild or not? How many employees work there...tough situation in a small town like Markdale...

Joe
This is amazing. I can't think of one other company that has continue to pay employees while they rebuild. This is what every small town in Ontario needs, a company that will support it through the good and bad. One more reason I'll buy Chapman's.

Wayne Black said:
Yes they plan to re-build in Markdale. They are pretty dedicated to the town since they are the largest employer with 400 employees. Another reason to support this business: David Chapman said "they will continue to pay their 400 employees for however long it takes" at a news conference Sunday Sept. 6th.
for more information on the company: http://www.chapmans.ca/

Joe Dales said:
Hi Wayne: Have you heard if they plan to rebuild or not? How many employees work there...tough situation in a small town like Markdale...

Joe
I knew this would happen.
As soon as I said - better stock up on Chapman's Ice Cream - everyone must have also. My wife cleaned out the last remaining 2 L Chapman's Premium Ice Cream in Zehr's in Goderich. No more.
I wonder where the next closest store would be.... and with this heat wave... :-(

Wayne Black
if they want to maintain their contracts with major food distributors they will need to have someone copack their ice cream for them. I wonder how many companies they were co packing for?

Andrew Campbell said:
This is amazing. I can't think of one other company that has continue to pay employees while they rebuild. This is what every small town in Ontario needs, a company that will support it through the good and bad. One more reason I'll buy Chapman's.

Wayne Black said:
Yes they plan to re-build in Markdale. They are pretty dedicated to the town since they are the largest employer with 400 employees. Another reason to support this business: David Chapman said "they will continue to pay their 400 employees for however long it takes" at a news conference Sunday Sept. 6th.
for more information on the company: http://www.chapmans.ca/

Joe Dales said:
Hi Wayne: Have you heard if they plan to rebuild or not? How many employees work there...tough situation in a small town like Markdale...

Joe
I wonder how many consumers know that if it doesn't have the blue cow it isn't a) cream or B) canadian cream. chapman's also make a bargain brand out of dairy solids or some other euphemism for out of country sugar/milk concoction made to pole vault the import regultions of supply management..

Wayne Black said:
I knew this would happen.
As soon as I said - better stock up on Chapman's Ice Cream - everyone must have also. My wife cleaned out the last remaining 2 L Chapman's Premium Ice Cream in Zehr's in Goderich. No more.
I wonder where the next closest store would be.... and with this heat wave... :-(

Wayne Black

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Net-zero or bust: Dairy groups support it but not sure how to get there

Yes, milk will be produced with “net-zero” carbon emissions by 2050, a goal publicized earlier this year and recently reaffirmed by the Dairy Farmers of Ontario (DFO) and Dairy Farmers of Canada (DFC) to Farmers Forum.

Farm groups team up to demand compensation for fertilizer tariff

Grain Farmers of Ontario and their Quebec counterparts are among the leading agricultural groups demanding farmers be compensated for the 35% tariff paid on Russian fertilizer this season

Disappearing farmland? Not in Eastern Ontario

Disappearing farmland? Not in Eastern Ontario. While Statistics Canada reports that Ontario farmland is disappearing at a rate of 319 acres per day, the reality on the ground in Eastern Ontario is much different.

Beef farmer vs. animal police

Warsaw beef farmer Walter Ray has largely prevailed at a provincial tribunal in his recent cost dispute with Ontario’s animal police.

Port of Oshawa Expansion to Improve Local Grain Movement

A planned $30 million expansion of the Port of Oshawa is expected to provide farmers in the central part of the province with a better means to move their grain. 

© 2022   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service