Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Vegetable Greenhouses NEED new, young growers--but where are all the jobs?

Statistics Canada shows that most of the horticulture/greenhouse management is reaching retirement age, and that almost all of these management positions will turnover within the next 20 years, making the demand for young greenhouse growers very high.

 

This is great for me, because I am a young Greenhouse Technician, recently graduated from a 2 year program where I focused mainly on Greenhouse Vegetable Production.

-Entemology

- Integrated Pest Management

-Water, Media, Fertilizer Management

- Priva, Computerized Controls etc.

 

In addition, tomato and pepper greenhouses are starting a new crop RIGHT NOW,

 

The demand is there..so, why is it so hard to find a job?

 

I am very resourceful, and have pooled together all my contacts to maximize my chances of landing a contract in an Ontario vegetable greenhouses as soon as possible. I have been using forums, following up on all leads, and even revisited the Niagara/Chatham/Leamington area several times to secure a Grower position. I have contacted growers and consultants I know, which has given me good leads but I still have not secured a position and contract.

 

I have excellent references, and lots of experience... Help!

Any suggestions, advice or discussion  is greatly appreciated!!

You can find my resume on my website if needed: jamieboland.blogspot.com

 

Thanks!

 

 

Views: 1313

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jamie, You will have to actually go to many of the greenhouses directly and let them meet you. There are several good operations outside of the areas you are currently looking in. Exeter has a couple large operations, Petrolia has a good one, St Thomas and Jarvis have top rated propagators, and there is a lot of individual greenhouses scattered around Delhi, Simcoe and Bradford.
You should also get a copy of Greenhouse Canada magazine since many job oportunities are posted there.
If you can switch over to bedding plants there are several oportunities in that field also. They should be listed in the same magazine.
Good luck,
Dave
Hey Dave,
Thanks for your reply to my discussion. I will definitely be checking out these operations in Exeter and I will also check out the propogators you mentioned. I have been checking greenhousecanada.com for job opportunities and have got some really great leads, do you think the hardcopy magazine has additional career listings separate from the ones on the website?

Thanks again for the tips, I'll let you know how it goes!
Jamie
Jamie, I think the hard copy may have jobs posted that may not be online as I see them frequently. Something to keep in mind is that these companies who are looking usually are attempting to find a seasoned grower. Having a new grower coming into the market is also a good thing as they can then train you to suit their needs rather than you changing them. Good luck.

Jamie Boland said:
Hey Dave,
Thanks for your reply to my discussion. I will definitely be checking out these operations in Exeter and I will also check out the propogators you mentioned. I have been checking greenhousecanada.com for job opportunities and have got some really great leads, do you think the hardcopy magazine has additional career listings separate from the ones on the website?

Thanks again for the tips, I'll let you know how it goes!
Jamie

Dave,

Thanks for the advice! I have now been working as Assistant Grower @ Veris in Exeter for 7 months.

Cheers!

Jamie



David Ritchie said:

Jamie, You will have to actually go to many of the greenhouses directly and let them meet you. There are several good operations outside of the areas you are currently looking in. Exeter has a couple large operations, Petrolia has a good one, St Thomas and Jarvis have top rated propagators, and there is a lot of individual greenhouses scattered around Delhi, Simcoe and Bradford.
You should also get a copy of Greenhouse Canada magazine since many job oportunities are posted there.
If you can switch over to bedding plants there are several oportunities in that field also. They should be listed in the same magazine.
Good luck,
Dave

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Farmland Demand Strong in Alberta, Not so for the Rest of Canada

Canadian farmland values continued to climb in the first half of 2026, but growth slowed as producers faced tighter margins, higher costs, and ongoing trade uncertainty.

Canadian Ethanol Industry Pushes Ottawa to Act as U.S. Imports Gain Market Share

Canada's ethanol sector is pressing Ottawa to move quickly on long-promised Clean Fuel Regulations reforms. Industry leaders warn that without a stronger incentive for domestic production.

Nortera Green Giant Deal Called Off

Canada’s Competition Bureau has welcomed the decision by Nortera and B&G Foods Canada to abandon a proposed acquisition involving major vegetable brands. The Bureau said the deal could have reduced competition, leading to higher prices and fewer choices for consumers.

Ontario Meat Awards Crown Top Processors

Ontario’s top meat processors were honoured at the 2026 Ontario’s Finest Meat Competition, recognizing outstanding quality, innovation and craftsmanship.

What Would Make Seed Potato Testing Work Better for Alberta Growers?

An accredited Alberta laboratory is asking growers and industry partners to help shape a seed potato testing process that is practical, accessible, and sustainable for the long term. When 20/20 Seed Labs developed its Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)-approved seed potato testing capacity in Nisku, the opportunity seemed straightforward: Alberta growers would have access to an accredited laboratory closer to home. Before this service was established, Alberta potato growers often had to ship samples out of province — in some cases as far away as Prince Edward Island — for testing. Establishing testing capacity in Alberta made sense for growers, the industry, and the broader goal of building local agricultural services. But proximity is only one factor in a grower’s decision about testing, says Sarah Foster, President and Senior Seed Analyst at 20/20. “A grower managing multiple varieties and seed lots must consider the cost of each test, how samples are collected and shipped, h

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service