Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Vegetable Greenhouses NEED new, young growers--but where are all the jobs?

Statistics Canada shows that most of the horticulture/greenhouse management is reaching retirement age, and that almost all of these management positions will turnover within the next 20 years, making the demand for young greenhouse growers very high.

This is great for me, because I am a young Greenhouse Technician, recently graduated from a 2 year program where I focused mainly on Greenhouse Vegetable Production.

-Entemology

- Integrated Pest Management

-Water, Media, Fertilizer Management

- Priva, Computerized Controls etc.

In addition, tomato and pepper greenhouses are starting a new crop RIGHT NOW,

The demand is there..so, why is it so hard to find a job?

I am very resourceful, and have pooled together all my contacts to maximize my chances of landing a contract in an Ontario vegetable greenhouses as soon as possible. I have been using forums, following up on all leads, and even revisited the Niagara/Chatham/Leamington area several times to secure a Grower position. I have contacted growers and consultants I know, which has given me good leads but I still have not secured a position and contract.

I have excellent references, and lots of experience... Help!

Any suggestions, advice or discussion  is greatly appreciated!!

You can find my resume on my website if needed: jamieboland.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Views: 818

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jamie, You will have to actually go to many of the greenhouses directly and let them meet you. There are several good operations outside of the areas you are currently looking in. Exeter has a couple large operations, Petrolia has a good one, St Thomas and Jarvis have top rated propagators, and there is a lot of individual greenhouses scattered around Delhi, Simcoe and Bradford.
You should also get a copy of Greenhouse Canada magazine since many job oportunities are posted there.
If you can switch over to bedding plants there are several oportunities in that field also. They should be listed in the same magazine.
Good luck,
Dave
Hey Dave,
Thanks for your reply to my discussion. I will definitely be checking out these operations in Exeter and I will also check out the propogators you mentioned. I have been checking greenhousecanada.com for job opportunities and have got some really great leads, do you think the hardcopy magazine has additional career listings separate from the ones on the website?

Thanks again for the tips, I'll let you know how it goes!
Jamie
Jamie, I think the hard copy may have jobs posted that may not be online as I see them frequently. Something to keep in mind is that these companies who are looking usually are attempting to find a seasoned grower. Having a new grower coming into the market is also a good thing as they can then train you to suit their needs rather than you changing them. Good luck.

Jamie Boland said:
Hey Dave,
Thanks for your reply to my discussion. I will definitely be checking out these operations in Exeter and I will also check out the propogators you mentioned. I have been checking greenhousecanada.com for job opportunities and have got some really great leads, do you think the hardcopy magazine has additional career listings separate from the ones on the website?

Thanks again for the tips, I'll let you know how it goes!
Jamie

Dave,

Thanks for the advice! I have now been working as Assistant Grower @ Veris in Exeter for 7 months.

Cheers!

Jamie

David Ritchie said:

Jamie, You will have to actually go to many of the greenhouses directly and let them meet you. There are several good operations outside of the areas you are currently looking in. Exeter has a couple large operations, Petrolia has a good one, St Thomas and Jarvis have top rated propagators, and there is a lot of individual greenhouses scattered around Delhi, Simcoe and Bradford.
You should also get a copy of Greenhouse Canada magazine since many job oportunities are posted there.
If you can switch over to bedding plants there are several oportunities in that field also. They should be listed in the same magazine.
Good luck,
Dave

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Ontario Asparagus Spearheads Spring Season

Spring has sprung, and so has Ontario's fresh local asparagus. Ontario asparagus farmers are working hard harvesting this year's crop for Ontarians to enjoy at their dinner tables.

Is It Time to Switch to Earlier Maturing Soybean Varieties?

The spring of 2019 has been unprecedented with excess rainfall and cool temperatures. This has significantly delayed soybean planting. When does it become necessary to switch to earlier maturing soybean varieties? There has been a trend in modern soybean production to plant early and to use long season varieties to achieve higher yields. This strategy has proven effective when soil conditions allow for early planting, but it’s also changed perceptions of what a “normal” planting date is for soybeans. When soybeans first gained popularity in Ontario over 50 years ago it was considered normal to wait until the May 24th weekend before seeding. This idea stemmed from the fact that soybeans cannot tolerate a killing frost once emerged. Soybeans are also a subtropical species and thrive under warm conditions. It was considered ideal to see soybeans twice in one week. First as seed in the planter, then as emerged seedlings within 7 days of planting. This will only happen under warm soil condi

Simcoe Agribusiness Breakfast Meeting Minutes – May 22, 2019

It was a small group in attendance at the Simcoe breakfast meeting this week. Some may have been busy with field work, but overall things are still moving slowly across the region and may not be moving at all on heavy soils that remain wet. Those in attendance reported that producers are optimistic planting will begin in a big way this coming weekend, or maybe into next week. While we are looking for more heat to move the winter wheat along and dry out fields for planting corn and soybeans, it is a good thing we do not see very high heat in the short-term forecast, which can bake the soil surface and trap moisture below on heavy ground.

Ontario Field Crop Report – Week of May 23rd, 2019

Weather patterns have been variable, leading to regional differences in progress on planting and crop growth. Soils continue to remain unfit for field operations in large parts of the province, especially in much of the southwest and parts of eastern Ontario (figure 1). A few pockets have had windows of opportunity to catch up on cultivation, fertilizer spreading, and planting.

Airblast Spraying in Poor Conditions

For many airblast operators, the spring of 2019 has been very difficult. The frequency and duration of rain events has left limited opportunity for orchard sprays. Even then, the periods between rains are transitions between warm and moist conditions and cold fronts, which makes wind gusty and changeable. These same periods leave wet alleys prone to rutting and compaction, and conditions that favour spraying may also favour pollinator activity.

© 2019   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service