Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Hi everyone.

I have a dilemma and would like a pro's opinion on the matter. I'm 28 years old and my girlfriend is 31. I work in the entertainment industry and she wants to quit her job to pursue organic farming. Now, neither one of us makes a lot of money, and I would like stability in my life. She also wants to raise a big family on top of everything. Personally, I'm against this idea because I have zero interest in farming and we would be most likely under a lot of debt. She wants to do this by herself with the help of some hired volunteers. A few years ago she spent a couple of summers working at a farm and found her passion. She hates her current job and feels that this will make her happy. Im not so sure. We would look to settle down somewhere within commute distance to Toronto. Is it even possible to buy a farm on the cheap?

Is this a good idea or are we headed for disaster?

Views: 195

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I suggest that you find a market gardening operation that you can help near where you live so you can learn the ropes.

Starting from scratch with no real experience could be a painful experience....

Lots of ways to get started and still follow your passion - living near Toronto can be a major benefit as you are near your market.  You also might hit the Food Terminal and meet some farmers there who might want some help.

Good luck

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Chevron CEO Warns U.S. Diesel Export Curbs Could Backfire

Chevron CEO Mike Wirth says restricting U.S. diesel exports could constrain global supplies without delivering the intended savings for American consumers.

New Syngenta foliar insecticide available for potato growers

Incipio includes a novel Group 30 mode of action

How One Ontario Pumpkin Farm Turned 10% of Production Into Half Its Revenue

Butter Farms has found success in ornamental pumpkins and gourds, demonstrating how specialty crops and the growing agritourism sector can significantly improve farm profitability.

Canadian Food System Trust Holds Steady, but Uncertainty and Misinformation Are Rising

Canadians continue to view the country's food system positively, but confidence in its future direction is weakening.

Canadian Agri-Businesses Face Insurance Crunch as Premiums Rise and Coverage Options Shrink

Higher insurance costs and fewer coverage options are creating new challenges for Canada's small agri-businesses.

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service