Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Hi everyone.

I have a dilemma and would like a pro's opinion on the matter. I'm 28 years old and my girlfriend is 31. I work in the entertainment industry and she wants to quit her job to pursue organic farming. Now, neither one of us makes a lot of money, and I would like stability in my life. She also wants to raise a big family on top of everything. Personally, I'm against this idea because I have zero interest in farming and we would be most likely under a lot of debt. She wants to do this by herself with the help of some hired volunteers. A few years ago she spent a couple of summers working at a farm and found her passion. She hates her current job and feels that this will make her happy. Im not so sure. We would look to settle down somewhere within commute distance to Toronto. Is it even possible to buy a farm on the cheap?

Is this a good idea or are we headed for disaster?

Views: 195

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I suggest that you find a market gardening operation that you can help near where you live so you can learn the ropes.

Starting from scratch with no real experience could be a painful experience....

Lots of ways to get started and still follow your passion - living near Toronto can be a major benefit as you are near your market.  You also might hit the Food Terminal and meet some farmers there who might want some help.

Good luck

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

International Plowing Match 2026 Draws Largest Crowd Since Pandemic Return

The 2026 International Plowing Match and Rural Expo welcomed 71,330 visitors to Bruce County, delivering the strongest attendance since the event returned after the pandemic.

Ont. farmer thankful for doctor’s push for breast cancer screening

Sarah Wynn co-owns Wynn Farms in Greater Napanee

New AI Tools for Alberta Farmers

Alberta is funding seven genomics and AI projects that will help farmers improve livestock performance, manage crop diseases, protect pollinators, and strengthen antimicrobial resistance monitoring through practical data-driven tools.

Canola Meal Boosts Dairy Cow Performance

Research shows canola meals can help dairy producers increase milk production, improve protein efficiency, reduce waste, and support profitability when included in balanced rations.

Lallemand Donates $5,000 to Three Canadian Communities

Lallemand Plant Care awarded $5,000 through its 2026 Hometown Roots Contest to support local community projects across Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Alberta.

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service