Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Article from the Ottawa Citizen - Cute animals are just as delicious as ugly ones

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Cute+animals+just+delicious+ugly+...

The discussions following this article are just about as interesting...... Not entirely surprising, but interesting.

I posted this article because I attended the Bruce Grey Politicians meeting in Chepstow on Saturday.  An excellent event hosted by the local Federation of Agriculture! 

Bill Murdock made a comment at the meeting, which I think is related to the message of article.  He was referring to the disconnect between the producers and the consumers.  He mentioned (in his own style) that you could say something really mean and nasty in "Toronto", but mention words such as "slaughter" and you would be run out of town!   I cant remember the exact words he used, but I think we have all encountered similar reactions to common agricultural terms and practices.

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I noticed that Bill Murdock also said Toronto should separate from rural Ontario because rural people are losing to the Toronto mentality.....

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/windsor/story/2010/03/16/toronto-mpp-murdo...
Yes, he mentioned this at the meeting in Chepstow as well.....While at first , it seemed a bit extraordinary, the CBC article and radio reports noted that even the Toronto counsillors were in agreement (albeit for totally different reasons - their reasons were fiscal....) We shall see how it plays out.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Sulzer’s PLAnet bioplastic technology creates market opportunities for sugar producers

The growing appetite for sustainable bioplastic made from polylactic acid (PLA) is opening new doors to corn, sugar beet and sugar cane farmers.

2019 Cereals Seasonal Summary

The cool, wet spring in 2018 resulted in delayed soybean planting for many producers across the province.

North American Fertilizer Industry Supports CUSMA Deal

Fertilizer Canada and The Fertilizer Institute (TFI) welcome Tuesday’s announcement of a bipartisan agreement on the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).

Helping Ontario Farmers Improve the Environment

New application intake will support measures to benefit Lake Erie

Diversifying crop export markets: Has Canada reached its limit?

Diversifying export markets can help mitigate ag producers’ risk. This is important in Canada, a country which depends so heavily on exports.

© 2019   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service