Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Bette Jean Crews announcement on not seeking re-election. Who will be the next OFA president?

Ontario Federation of Agriculture President Bette Jean Crews announced this morning she won’t seek re-election to the president’s position in November, citing a need to concentrate her efforts on her family farm. Here’s the text of the message she sent:

:

Dear friends and colleagues,

By way of this message, I am informing you that I will not be seeking re-election as OFA president.

I am returning to a more active role in the operation of our family farm business. I am announcing this now, because I want to be fair to OFA members who may be considering putting their name forward for an executive position at the OFA AGM November 21-22, 2011. 

I will complete my term as President with the same commitment and energy as I have given since first elected in 2009.  I am proud of the OFA’s accomplishments during the terms in which I have had the privilege and trust to be your President. 

For me, there have been many highlights.  In this past year alone we have accomplished the Risk Management Program and the united voice of OASC. The National Food Strategy,  a proposal initiated by OFA, was presented to Federal and Provincial Ag Ministers. A new market-value based schedule for wildlife damage to livestock. A cervid management plan was created that enables farmer control of problem elk and an elk hunt this fall. Farmers realized a three-year exemption under bobolink preservation regulations and a joint industry-government committee to design protection policy that will work for agriculture. And finally, OFA’s role in the Open for Business consultation has already reduced regulations by nearly 30 per cent and put a new process in place for regulation development, interpretation and enforcement. 

All of this, and more, demonstrates the farm community’s ability to work together. It shows how we can achieve success when we take an active role in designing solutions.  Well-articulated, well-defended positions supported by a unified sector can bring results.

I have enjoyed my years of service to the Ontario farm community as part of the OFA Executive committee for the past 11 years.  I have the immense privilege of meeting hundreds of hard working Ontario farmers and their families.  That is the real joy of the work and memories that I will always treasure.  I have also had the privilege of working with OFA general manager Neil Currie and his staff members who are outstanding and a credit to OFA.  Thank you all.

I will continue to serve the farmers of Ontario on the OFA Board as Zone Director for Northumberland, Hastings, Prince Edward and Lennox and Addington counties.  When elections are held this year I will be past president, and in that portfolio I intend to use the experience of the past 11 years to further advance the issues affecting Ontario agriculture. 

Thank you to Ontario farmers for the years of confidence and support.

Bette Jean Crews,

President and Zone 12 Director

Views: 421

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Has anyone heard who is running?

Some one told me Wayne Black was considering it.

 

Phillip Shaw Endorses Wayne Black.

 

Watching the LIVE Ontario Federation of Agriculture  convention video feed here today, Monday Nov 21, 2011 at http://www.ofa.on.ca/convention-video.aspx

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

How Much of Your Thanksgiving Dinner Reaches Canadian Farmers?

As Canadians prepare Thanksgiving meals, many wonder how much of their grocery bill goes back to the farm.

A Thanksgiving meal from Canadian farmers

Each province’s ag sector would contribute a different ingredient

Manitoba Crop Alliance announces results of 2026 crop committee delegate nominations

Manitoba Crop Alliance (MCA) is pleased to announce the results of the nomination process for delegate positions on its four crop committees. The nomination period ran from July 1 to Oct. 1, 2026. In total, 15 farmer members were nominated for the 17 available delegate positions across the four crop committees and are thereby elected by acclamation. Among those 15 delegates, four are new to their respective committees and 11 are incumbents. “Our crop committees provide a strong voice for each crop type we represent, while also creating opportunities for collaboration and a cross-commodity approach to the issues all farmers face,” says MCA CEO Pam de Rocquigny. “I would like to thank all the MCA farmer members who let their names stand for nomination and I look forward to seeing how they will help guide the direction of our industry.” Corn: Doug Martin (East Selkirk), Jonothan Hodson (Lenore), Warren McCutcheon (Carman) and Joel Doerksen (MacGregor) were nominated for the four avail

We’re Hiring an Agronomy Assistant for the 2027 Growing Season!

Manitoba Pulse & Soybean Growers’ On-Farm Network is looking for an Agronomy Assistant for a 4-month term in the 2027 growing season! We’re looking for a post-secondary student in Agriculture or a related discipline with strong communication skills, familiarity with prairie crop production and a valid Manitoba driver’s license. You can gain hands-on experience in: Field-scale research and data collection Pest surveillance, crop scouting and reporting field observations Conducting a personal research project The position is based in Carman, MB but job responsibilities take place across agro-Manitoba. We offer: Competitive wages Opportunity to receive a performance bonus Student-friendly working environment

Historic Yorkton Brick Flour Mill Opens Interpretive Centre Strengthening Cultural Tourism to Share Saskatchewan's Agricultural Story

Saskatchewan's oldest remaining brick flour mill is the province's newest cultural tourism destination, sharing the province's rich agricultural heritage with residents and visitors. Supported in part through a $600,000 investment from the Government of Saskatchewan, the Yorkton Brick Flour Mill Interpretive Centre was officially opened yesterday as an educational hub, featuring artifacts, exhibits and displays that bring the region's agricultural history to life.   "This is an exciting day for the community of Yorkton and our province's tourism industry," Parks, Culture, Sport, Minister and Minister Responsible for Tourism Saskatchewan Alana Ross said. "This iconic landmark is a cherished part of Yorkton's history and Saskatchewan's agricultural heritage. It is an important part of our story that has been preserved through the extensive and ongoing efforts by the community, and our government is so pleased that we could join with them, provide support, and help the Society complete

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service