Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Bette Jean Crews announcement on not seeking re-election. Who will be the next OFA president?

Ontario Federation of Agriculture President Bette Jean Crews announced this morning she won’t seek re-election to the president’s position in November, citing a need to concentrate her efforts on her family farm. Here’s the text of the message she sent:

:

Dear friends and colleagues,

By way of this message, I am informing you that I will not be seeking re-election as OFA president.

I am returning to a more active role in the operation of our family farm business. I am announcing this now, because I want to be fair to OFA members who may be considering putting their name forward for an executive position at the OFA AGM November 21-22, 2011. 

I will complete my term as President with the same commitment and energy as I have given since first elected in 2009.  I am proud of the OFA’s accomplishments during the terms in which I have had the privilege and trust to be your President. 

For me, there have been many highlights.  In this past year alone we have accomplished the Risk Management Program and the united voice of OASC. The National Food Strategy,  a proposal initiated by OFA, was presented to Federal and Provincial Ag Ministers. A new market-value based schedule for wildlife damage to livestock. A cervid management plan was created that enables farmer control of problem elk and an elk hunt this fall. Farmers realized a three-year exemption under bobolink preservation regulations and a joint industry-government committee to design protection policy that will work for agriculture. And finally, OFA’s role in the Open for Business consultation has already reduced regulations by nearly 30 per cent and put a new process in place for regulation development, interpretation and enforcement. 

All of this, and more, demonstrates the farm community’s ability to work together. It shows how we can achieve success when we take an active role in designing solutions.  Well-articulated, well-defended positions supported by a unified sector can bring results.

I have enjoyed my years of service to the Ontario farm community as part of the OFA Executive committee for the past 11 years.  I have the immense privilege of meeting hundreds of hard working Ontario farmers and their families.  That is the real joy of the work and memories that I will always treasure.  I have also had the privilege of working with OFA general manager Neil Currie and his staff members who are outstanding and a credit to OFA.  Thank you all.

I will continue to serve the farmers of Ontario on the OFA Board as Zone Director for Northumberland, Hastings, Prince Edward and Lennox and Addington counties.  When elections are held this year I will be past president, and in that portfolio I intend to use the experience of the past 11 years to further advance the issues affecting Ontario agriculture. 

Thank you to Ontario farmers for the years of confidence and support.

Bette Jean Crews,

President and Zone 12 Director

Views: 421

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Has anyone heard who is running?

Some one told me Wayne Black was considering it.

 

Phillip Shaw Endorses Wayne Black.

 

Watching the LIVE Ontario Federation of Agriculture  convention video feed here today, Monday Nov 21, 2011 at http://www.ofa.on.ca/convention-video.aspx

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Farmland Demand Strong in Alberta, Not so for the Rest of Canada

Canadian farmland values continued to climb in the first half of 2026, but growth slowed as producers faced tighter margins, higher costs, and ongoing trade uncertainty.

Canadian Ethanol Industry Pushes Ottawa to Act as U.S. Imports Gain Market Share

Canada's ethanol sector is pressing Ottawa to move quickly on long-promised Clean Fuel Regulations reforms. Industry leaders warn that without a stronger incentive for domestic production.

Nortera Green Giant Deal Called Off

Canada’s Competition Bureau has welcomed the decision by Nortera and B&G Foods Canada to abandon a proposed acquisition involving major vegetable brands. The Bureau said the deal could have reduced competition, leading to higher prices and fewer choices for consumers.

Ontario Meat Awards Crown Top Processors

Ontario’s top meat processors were honoured at the 2026 Ontario’s Finest Meat Competition, recognizing outstanding quality, innovation and craftsmanship.

What Would Make Seed Potato Testing Work Better for Alberta Growers?

An accredited Alberta laboratory is asking growers and industry partners to help shape a seed potato testing process that is practical, accessible, and sustainable for the long term. When 20/20 Seed Labs developed its Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)-approved seed potato testing capacity in Nisku, the opportunity seemed straightforward: Alberta growers would have access to an accredited laboratory closer to home. Before this service was established, Alberta potato growers often had to ship samples out of province — in some cases as far away as Prince Edward Island — for testing. Establishing testing capacity in Alberta made sense for growers, the industry, and the broader goal of building local agricultural services. But proximity is only one factor in a grower’s decision about testing, says Sarah Foster, President and Senior Seed Analyst at 20/20. “A grower managing multiple varieties and seed lots must consider the cost of each test, how samples are collected and shipped, h

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service