Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Gredig: From the Fencerow
Bookmark and Share
Do you want your kids to farm?

As a farmer and father with a young son, it’s a question that has started to creep into the back of my mind. The old saying is, “farmers farm for their sons and daughters”. The inference is that for a family farm to succeed, each generation builds onto what came before and passes it on in better shape. This pattern has served us well for the past 150 years or so, but is it an out of date way of thinking or does this approach still have merit?

I never felt any pressure to come home to the farm. I was encouraged to find summer jobs off the farm to get some exposure to other ways of making a living. I laid a few million yards of sod (well, it seemed like millions) for a landscaping company for a couple of summers, harvested tobacco, and worked at a golf course. After high school, I went to university chasing a degree in agricultural economics. At home, the message was, if you want to come home after university, the farm will be here.

When I took a job in the big city as a policy researcher after graduation, I could tell that my parents still held out hope that I would farm, but either way, they were moving forward and the farm was evolving.

After a couple of years of fun in the city the light bulb went on and I knew I wanted to give it a shot at home. It was an easy decision that took 24 years to become apparent. I guess I learned from my parents that it’s important to encourage the next generation to consider all the opportunities available to them, including agriculture. And this could mean primary production or a job related to agriculture.

By the time I came home, the hog operation had been shuttered and a progressive apple orchard was added as a new enterprise. If I had shown interest earlier, there is a good chance that there would have been more land and more pigs, but there would also have been more pressure to follow that model. Because my parents had moved forward with enterprises that were right for them, there was room for me to start my own direction when I started farming.

Now I am the farmer with a kid. Some days the boy thinks living on a farm is the best ever (go-carts rock!). Other days, he wonders why we can’t live in town where the kids play street hockey every day after school! I think I was the same way.

Some people say the economics of agriculture today make it very difficult for farmers to keep the farm viable and available for the next generation. I think this has always been true, but I agree that high asset values make it more difficult for some to forego cashing in, especially if there are numerous siblings that must be considered in succession planning.

I guess at this early stage I’ll do my best to be a positive influence and to keep as many options open as possible, both for myself and my son. I’m not as concerned about building a certain scale or kind of operation. My experience is that the next generation should be encouraged to consider new enterprises and new approaches.

What do you think? Do you want your kids to farm? What are the opportunities/challenges? 

Peter Gredig
Farms.com Media
Peter.Gredig@Farms.com

Follow me on Twitter. I’m Agwag.
 
 
 
This commentary is for informational purposes only.  The opinions and comments expressed herein represent the opinions of the author--they do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Farms.com.  This commentary is not intended to provide individual advice to anyone.  Farms.com will not be liable for any errors or omissions in the information, or for any damages or losses in any way related to this commentary.

Views: 1452

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

because of selfishness

the dad should have said NO

the dad should have been a man and done what he wanted



Roadrunner said:

I was talking to a friend the other day....the son wants to farm but the challenges of succession between the 3 generations of the family made it impossible....they needed to sell the land and operation to satisfy the siblings...still bitter feelings between everyone.

we just want to farm one hundred acers

 

there is three of us to work full time

 

we will live in the country and work for  free for ten years  for a farmer that will help us get   our own hundred acers

i can make  25 thousand a year with a hundred acers and thats all we want

 

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Small Plane Crashes Near Fergus Into a Corn Field

A small general aviation aircraft crashed into a corn field north of Fergus, Ontario, on October 9, catching fire and triggering a major emergency response.

Western Canada’s Premier Fall Livestock Showcase

Manitoba AG EX is the province’s largest all-breeds cattle show. Drawing top breeders, livestock exhibitors, and industry leaders from across Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta. Held each fall in Brandon, Manitoba AG EX is more than just a cattle show, it’s a celebration of agricultural excellence, youth development, and community learning. With high-level competition in purebred livestock, interactive learning experiences for youth, and the return of crowd-favourite attractions like MooMania and EweMania, AG EX offers something for everyone. Highlights include the Little Lady Classic, Jackpot Bull Show, Junior Show and Showmanship, and the prestigious Supreme Breed Extravaganza, where breed champions go head-to-head for the title before advancing to the Canadian Western Agribition in Regina.

FCC Ag Summit in Winnipeg

Ideas to inspire. Insights to act. Looking to level up your farm business? Join us at the FCC Ag Summit, a series of free, one-day events to help Canadian producers like you strengthen the business side of your operations and prepare for what’s ahead. Have fun as industry experts share their latest findings and best practices. From technology and artificial intelligence to leadership, succession, workplace culture and the future of Canadian agriculture, the agenda is built to deliver value for farms of all sizes and stages. Bring your family, your management team or anyone involved in the decisions that shape your operation. Leave with practical takeaways and new connections to support your next steps.

Crop Report – October 6, 2026

Upcoming Events & News  • CropTalk Webinar: Marketing the 2026 Crop, Wednesday, October 7 at 9  am  • Get the print version of Seed Manitoba delivered directly to your door! Sign up for the print edition and/or the Seed Manitoba newsletter here: https://seedmb.ca/subscribe/   Weather Report   • Rain this week brought variable precipitation accumulations across Manitoba.  Southern regions along the US border in the East and Central regions received between 5 and 30 mm of rain. The Interlake and  Northwest regions saw accumulations of less than 1 mm over the past seven days.  The highest accumulation of precipitation was at Gardenton with 32.9 mm. Climate normals for total accumulated precipitation from May 1 to October 4 range from 261 mm to 404 mm and are based on 30-year historical data. Since May 1, large areas of the Northwest and Southwest regions have  accumulated more than 380 mm of precipitation. Seasonal accumulations are above normal for most of the Northwest, Southwest, an

Navigating Change. Seeding For Success.

Mark your calendars — the CrossRoads Crop Conference is back January 26 & 27, 2027 at the DoubleTree by Hilton West Edmonton, bringing producers, industry leaders, and researchers together for a day and half of learning, networking, and inspiration. Producers can lock in early bird pricing of just $179 plus taxes and fees before December 31, 2026, making it easy to secure a spot at one of Western Canada's premier agriculture events. Highlights of the 2027 CrossRoads Conference include: Keynote presentations from Damian Mason, respected agri-food leader; Mark Redmond with D’Arcy Hilgartner, speaking on the importance of research to producers; and Gitane De Silva, public policy leader. Expert sessions covering the latest in agronomy, farm business management, and ag technology. Networking Lounge & Industry Mixer networking opportunities with producers, researchers, and industry partners. Annual General Meetings hosted by Alberta Grains, Alberta Pulse Growers, and Alberta Canola Produc

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service