Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

I've been trying to understand what if any programs there are for farm start up. 

For example I would need help in the following areas

Bank business case

Understand government programs (if any) for new farmers

What is the current cost per acre of land.  From what I've seen it can be from $6000 to $10000 per acre.

I'd also welcome any additional comments or suggestions about how best to do a start up of 100 acres or more.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Views: 925

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Chuck,

I would suggest visiting the local Farm Credit Canada office and asking about the Beginning Farmer programs.

Your business model and case will be very important - what type of farm you want to start.

Land is important but there are ways of working around ownership if you have a sound business plan....partner with existing older farmers with no clear family succession.

Good luck,

Farms.com Team

Hello

Yes I did call the Farm Credit Canada as a first step.  They have told me they will send me a template for a business plan but as yet it's not shown up.  So I've taken it upon myself to do my business plan.  My next step is contacting a financial planning & consulting service to help with the plan, however this will cost a few bucks.

As for the farm I am looking to setup would be a cash crop farm.  Simple to start with just growing corn, soy beans, and hay.  

For the most part I can do the numbers on the purchase price for the land and machinery.  Where I am struggling is on the cost for seed and then trying to work out what the yields might be on class 2 and class 3 land.  

I do like the suggestion of partnering with an existing farmer, and will begin that search right away.  This I think would be a great source!

Please keep giving advise and comments as I do appreciate them

Thanks

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Canada’s Investment Boom Must Reach Beyond Big Cities, Says Rural Prosperity Group

Nearly $500 billion in investment commitments were announced through Canada’s inaugural Investment Summit, but advocates say rural and northern communities must be positioned to benefit.

Harvest Window Emerges Despite Heavy Rain Threat Across Key Crop Regions

Heavy rains tied to the remnants of Hurricane Polo are expected to slow harvest progress across portions of the U.S. Corn Belt this week, while farmers in the Canadian Prairies could see a transition toward cooler and drier conditions.

Seaway Labour Agreements Support Stable Grain Shipping

Unionized St. Lawrence Seaway employees have ratified new four-year labour agreements; the settlement offers greater predictability for farmers, grain handlers, and exporters.

CWRC appoints new president, transitions host duties to Sask Wheat

The Canadian Wheat Research Coalition (CWRC) has appointed a new president, following the transition of hosting duties from Manitoba Crop Alliance (MCA) to the Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission (Sask Wheat). Sask Wheat executive director Blair Goldade is the new CWRC president. The president, who is appointed from the host organization and approved by the CWRC board of directors, is the key contact for external stakeholders. The CWRC’s operational hosting duties rotate every three years between the three Prairie producer organizations who represent wheat farmers in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba: Sask Wheat, Alberta Grains and MCA. “Sask Wheat was the inaugural host when the CWRC was formed in 2017, so this represents a full-circle moment for the organization. Looking back nearly a decade later, I’m extremely proud of what the CWRC has accomplished on behalf of western Canadian farmers,” Goldade says. “I would like to extend my sincere thanks to MCA and outgoing CWRC

U.S. and China Trade Deals Could Boost Farm Exports and Ease Trade Tensions

The United States and China have announced new trade agreements that include agricultural products among the key sectors receiving improved market access.

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service