Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

I've been trying to understand what if any programs there are for farm start up. 

For example I would need help in the following areas

Bank business case

Understand government programs (if any) for new farmers

What is the current cost per acre of land.  From what I've seen it can be from $6000 to $10000 per acre.

I'd also welcome any additional comments or suggestions about how best to do a start up of 100 acres or more.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Views: 929

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Chuck,

I would suggest visiting the local Farm Credit Canada office and asking about the Beginning Farmer programs.

Your business model and case will be very important - what type of farm you want to start.

Land is important but there are ways of working around ownership if you have a sound business plan....partner with existing older farmers with no clear family succession.

Good luck,

Farms.com Team

Hello

Yes I did call the Farm Credit Canada as a first step.  They have told me they will send me a template for a business plan but as yet it's not shown up.  So I've taken it upon myself to do my business plan.  My next step is contacting a financial planning & consulting service to help with the plan, however this will cost a few bucks.

As for the farm I am looking to setup would be a cash crop farm.  Simple to start with just growing corn, soy beans, and hay.  

For the most part I can do the numbers on the purchase price for the land and machinery.  Where I am struggling is on the cost for seed and then trying to work out what the yields might be on class 2 and class 3 land.  

I do like the suggestion of partnering with an existing farmer, and will begin that search right away.  This I think would be a great source!

Please keep giving advise and comments as I do appreciate them

Thanks

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

How Much of Your Thanksgiving Dinner Reaches Canadian Farmers?

As Canadians prepare Thanksgiving meals, many wonder how much of their grocery bill goes back to the farm.

A Thanksgiving meal from Canadian farmers

Each province’s ag sector would contribute a different ingredient

Manitoba Crop Alliance announces results of 2026 crop committee delegate nominations

Manitoba Crop Alliance (MCA) is pleased to announce the results of the nomination process for delegate positions on its four crop committees. The nomination period ran from July 1 to Oct. 1, 2026. In total, 15 farmer members were nominated for the 17 available delegate positions across the four crop committees and are thereby elected by acclamation. Among those 15 delegates, four are new to their respective committees and 11 are incumbents. “Our crop committees provide a strong voice for each crop type we represent, while also creating opportunities for collaboration and a cross-commodity approach to the issues all farmers face,” says MCA CEO Pam de Rocquigny. “I would like to thank all the MCA farmer members who let their names stand for nomination and I look forward to seeing how they will help guide the direction of our industry.” Corn: Doug Martin (East Selkirk), Jonothan Hodson (Lenore), Warren McCutcheon (Carman) and Joel Doerksen (MacGregor) were nominated for the four avail

We’re Hiring an Agronomy Assistant for the 2027 Growing Season!

Manitoba Pulse & Soybean Growers’ On-Farm Network is looking for an Agronomy Assistant for a 4-month term in the 2027 growing season! We’re looking for a post-secondary student in Agriculture or a related discipline with strong communication skills, familiarity with prairie crop production and a valid Manitoba driver’s license. You can gain hands-on experience in: Field-scale research and data collection Pest surveillance, crop scouting and reporting field observations Conducting a personal research project The position is based in Carman, MB but job responsibilities take place across agro-Manitoba. We offer: Competitive wages Opportunity to receive a performance bonus Student-friendly working environment

Historic Yorkton Brick Flour Mill Opens Interpretive Centre Strengthening Cultural Tourism to Share Saskatchewan's Agricultural Story

Saskatchewan's oldest remaining brick flour mill is the province's newest cultural tourism destination, sharing the province's rich agricultural heritage with residents and visitors. Supported in part through a $600,000 investment from the Government of Saskatchewan, the Yorkton Brick Flour Mill Interpretive Centre was officially opened yesterday as an educational hub, featuring artifacts, exhibits and displays that bring the region's agricultural history to life.   "This is an exciting day for the community of Yorkton and our province's tourism industry," Parks, Culture, Sport, Minister and Minister Responsible for Tourism Saskatchewan Alana Ross said. "This iconic landmark is a cherished part of Yorkton's history and Saskatchewan's agricultural heritage. It is an important part of our story that has been preserved through the extensive and ongoing efforts by the community, and our government is so pleased that we could join with them, provide support, and help the Society complete

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service