Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Federal Budget: Do you want an election? Do you think anything will change with an election?

I doubt anyone really wants a federal election right now, it is hard to see that much will change politically.  Western Canada is not likely to vote Liberal, Quebec likely is not going to vote Conservative.

 

Will Ontario vote Conservative?  Are Ignatief/Liberals popular enough to gain an Minority Government?

 

Some mentioned it seems like a big waste to get another minority Conservative Government.

 

Politics Discussion - What do you think?

 

Joe Dales

 

 

Views: 299

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If there were to be a late spring election, I would hazard to guess it would have the lowest voter turn-out EVER. Voters have been constantly threatened with an election since '06 and now are completely oblivious to political chatter.


Voters would stay home in droves.  There is little confidence in the government showing true leadership and in the same token there does not appear to be any viable alternative.


Having said that.... the people that will go to the polls and the die-hard entrenched party supporters.


Then it will rest with the die-hards with a question of supporting a party that shows contempt for our system.


The government has been boxed into a corner.  The Royal Opposition must bring down a government that is contempt.  It they do not, the opposition will send a message that contempt of our governing system is acceptable.


What a mess.   It will be a long drawn out nasty election with another minority governing party... albeit... different from the one we have today...... that is my personal opinion. :)

I agree Joann  "What a mess."

I have talked to 3 or 4 people this morning and everyone thinks it will be a big waste of time and money right now.

 

I heard $400 Million is what is it likely to cost for a Federal Election....

 

It will be interesting to see if the NDP want an election or not.

 

Take care,

 

Joe

Everyone I speak to says the same thing but there is a serious matter that needs to be addressed.

 

The sitting government is in contempt. Contempt is defined as: An act of deliberate disobedience or disregard for the laws, regulations, or decorum of a public authority, such as a court or legislative body.

Individuals may be cited for contempt when they disobey an order, fail to comply with a request, tamper with documents, withhold evidence, interrupt proceedings through their actions or words, or otherwise defy a public authority or hold it up to ridicule and disrespect.

 

It is serious and if the Royal Opposition does not deal with the matter effectively, we have a ruling party that could not be described as democratic but more as a totalitarian rule.

 

I do not think people WANT an election.... the question is: do we NEED an election with the contempt charges?

 

If the people of Canada accept contempt from our elected officials then.. by all means... we do not NEED an election.  

 

Our international reputation will suffer as a result.

 


Joe Dales said:

I agree Joann  "What a mess."

I have talked to 3 or 4 people this morning and everyone thinks it will be a big waste of time and money right now.

 

I heard $400 Million is what is it likely to cost for a Federal Election....

 

It will be interesting to see if the NDP want an election or not.

 

Take care,

 

Joe

Hi Joann,

I don't disagree with your point regarding contempt.

I have only been half watching this last political fiasco.

In the past, has every government in contempt fallen and called an election?

Just wondering about precedents and is an election a foregone conclusion irregardless of the budget?

 

Joe

 

 

From what I understand, but correct me if this is wrong.... that the contempt charges are precedent in this country.   I would imagine it will be up to the Opposition to determine what action is forecoming.  I have no idea if the G.G. would be part of this mess or not.

 

The world is watching to see what happens.  Strong leadership.... from someone please.... is needed now.  Much is at stake. 

 

If Canada shows contempt to its own citizens... are they capable of showing contempt to other nations?

 

 

 

Joe Dales said:

Hi Joann,

I don't disagree with your point regarding contempt.

I have only been half watching this last political fiasco.

In the past, has every government in contempt fallen and called an election?

Just wondering about precedents and is an election a foregone conclusion irregardless of the budget?

 

Joe

 

 

What ever you vote, you are still getting the same policys, lies and state control of your property. But in a nice way. The only difference with the policial parties is how they do it. A licence to work, licence to drive your car, licence to manage your property, requirement to pay three levels of government taxes for the same services, a Public service that treats people with comptemt, Politians with agenda of social climbing,and self interests, sell out to foreign interests and multnationals eg USA, China, and the create acts that are against the Constution.  So its your move. 
My 2cents.  I think the Conservatives will still form a minority albeit with far fewer of the popular vote behind them in rural ON.  Most farmers are disillusioned with the Western Reform Party (oops, sorry, Conservative) lack of commitment and/or outright neglect of ON agriculture (how many rural ON MP's do we have again?) and will continue on the tractor seat rather than get out and vote during spring seeding.  We do not have the rallying cry of Harper's "scrap CAIS" lie to muster us out to the polling booth this time!  Throw in some scandal/contempt issues and their sharp move to the centre and the Cons aren't much different than the Libs under Martin after all.

Joann,

I agree there is contempt by the government but I do not agree that the world is watching, in fact I do not even think that most Canadians are watching. The world cares little about Canada and I do not believe for a minute that any government any where in the world is watching our election with any real interest. I also believe Canadians have become so used to inept government that they have turned it off. That disinterest is the fault of both the Liberals and the Conservatives and to a lesser extent the NDP. The two big parties act horribly and take more interest in running the next guy down than they have of actually governing. Our political set up causes the opposition to be opposed to everything the government puts forth even when they know it is for the countries good. What a waste of time and energy. The original intent of opposition parties was to be the party that held government to account, not to oppose absolutely everything. Our present day political parties obstruct government and our ruling parties abuse their power. As far as I am concerned, I wish Harper, Iggy and Layton would all retire and that we could get some new forward thinking people in who can work together. These guys cannot be the best Canada has to offer. 

Joann said:

From what I understand, but correct me if this is wrong.... that the contempt charges are precedent in this country.   I would imagine it will be up to the Opposition to determine what action is forecoming.  I have no idea if the G.G. would be part of this mess or not.

 

The world is watching to see what happens.  Strong leadership.... from someone please.... is needed now.  Much is at stake. 

 

If Canada shows contempt to its own citizens... are they capable of showing contempt to other nations?

 

 

 

Joe Dales said:

Hi Joann,

I don't disagree with your point regarding contempt.

I have only been half watching this last political fiasco.

In the past, has every government in contempt fallen and called an election?

Just wondering about precedents and is an election a foregone conclusion irregardless of the budget?

 

Joe

 

 

I been listening to CBC, and think where have I heared this before.  Some promises to do this and do that, soon as they are in, back to screwing Mr and Mrs Voter.  Your Librials are just ex Union leaders and red rag social climbers, Conservatives gentlemen farmers that are more a home in the city, lawyers, bankers and sons of Politians, thinking they are JFK.  NDP socialist social workers who think the country in a money pit, they can play with after a dinner party with a bunch of Yuppies like a game of charades. The block well if they want to seperate, let them. They are still going to get the same Politians only in french, taxed twice as much because the fedral money will be gone. PS anyone noticed any Big Signs on crown land writen the new sight of a Policestation/ Hospital/community center lately.

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Canadian Beef Check-Off Agency Scholarship Winner

The Canadian Beef Cattle Check-Off Agency is pleased to announce that Ryan Trefiak of Edgerton, AB has been awarded the 2026 $2000 scholarship. Ryan is pursuing studies in Agricultural Systems Technologies at Iowa State University. This year’s judging panel noted they were impressed by the quality and dedication of all candidates, making the selection process a difficult one. Since its launch, the scholarship program has grown into one of the Agency’s most wide-reaching communications initiatives, connecting with students across the beef industry and helping support the next generation of leaders in Canadian agriculture. Congratulations, Ryan! We wish you continued success in your studies.

Field Week: Covering distance, literally and academically

There is only so much environmental science that can be learned in a classroom or science lab. Field experience is woven throughout Lakeland College’s environmental sciences programs, with labs taking place in the natural spaces on and around campus throughout the year. Each year, however, that experience is intensified during Field Week. That’s when second-year environmental sciences students find themselves knee-deep in the river electrofishing, setting up and checking small mammal traps, deploying autonomous recording units, constructing bat houses, capturing, banding and releasing songbirds, reading soil profiles, touring mine sites and assessing wetlands. “I love the hands-on experience,” says Mackenzie Hamm, a second-year environmental sciences student majoring in wildlife and fisheries conservation. “We’ve got to learn quite a few different things. It really brings into context what we’re learning in the classroom, so I can actually apply all of that theory that we’ve been doi

Growing the future: Judy Sweet invests in Lakeland’s ag students

Judy Sweet is continuing her longstanding support of Lakeland College agricultural sciences students by investing in the Student-Managed Farm (SMF) Lab Revitalization project. Sweet’s gift will support upgrades to the calving barn on the Vermilion campus farm, enhancing agricultural teaching, applied research, animal care and industry collaboration. The improvements will also strengthen facility functionality, sustainability and long-term operational capacity. “Judy Sweet’s generosity is an investment in the future of agriculture and in the students who will lead it,” says Dr. Alice Wainwright-Stewart, president and CEO of Lakeland College. “Her continued support of Lakeland’s Student-Managed Farm helps us provide the modern facilities and hands-on learning experiences our students need to put their education into action. This gift will strengthen animal care, help advance applied research and prepare graduates to make a meaningful impact in this essential industry. We are deeply gra

Canada could add $5.4B to GDP by processing more of its crops at home: EY

Canada could generate up to $5.4 billion in additional GDP and support approximately 34,000 full-time-equivalent jobs by redirecting just 10 per cent of its raw crop exports to value-added processing here at home, according to new EY analysis released today by Protein Industries Canada. The findings come as the federal government has made domestic food processing a national priority through its National Food Security Strategy. The strategy calls for Canada to reduce its dependence on other countries by processing more of the food it grows and sets an explicit objective to increase domestic processing to strengthen self-sufficiency and drive economic growth. Canada already has an extraordinary foundation to build from. Its food and agriculture sector contributed $149.2 billion to GDP in 2024 and supported 2.3 million jobs, while Canada remains a leading producer of major crops including wheat, canola and corn. But too often, Canadian crops leave the country before the higher-value pro

Thiesse, Parman discuss farm economy, tight margins at Big Iron

Live from the Big Iron Farm and Construction Show on Wednesday, Sept. 16, Kent Thiesse, farm management analyst, and Bryon Parman, NDSU farm management specialist, joined the Red River Farm Network’s “Issues and Events Center” to discuss the farm economy and the tight margins farmers are dealing with. The conversation kicked off with both guests discussing their concerns when it comes to farm balance sheets heading into 2027. “I think there’s certainly some positivity out there in the markets,” Thiesse said. “We’ve seen a runup in both corn and soybean prices, even wheat prices. Unfortunately, we’ve also seen a runup in input costs, as well. Fertilizer costs a year ago at this time were a big concern. They’ve kind of leveled out, but they haven’t really come down much. “As we look forward and start running the pencil for next year, even with higher commodity prices, we’re maybe breakeven on soybeans and we’re in the red with corn based on the numbers I’ve looked at. We’re facing som

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service