Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Minister of Agriculture Provides Information on Ontario Hog Marketing. What Do Pork Producers Think of the Ruling?

I wondered how Ontario Pork Producers felt about the Minister's decision.

Joe

Minister Provides Clarity on Hog Marketing

Ontario Pork News Release

Guelph, May 14, 2010 – The Honourable Carol Mitchell, Minister of Agriculture, Food and

Rural Affairs, has concluded her ministerial review of an Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs

Appeal Tribunal ruling from February 2010 regarding pork marketing and by all accounts

supports an open marketing option for producers.

“We have been in favour of producers having choice in marketing and this decision gives us

the clarity we need to move forward,” says Wilma Jeffray, Chair of Ontario Pork. “The

submission that we prepared for the Minister’s review certainly gives us a head start in

fulfilling the requirements of the decision.

The organization has its first meeting with the Ontario Farm Products Marketing Commission

early next week where it will begin to work out the details of the decision. The Ontario Pork

Board will meet at the beginning of June to discuss next steps and assess the implementation

strategy.

Ontario Pork represents the 2,300 farmers who market hogs in the province in many areas,

including hog marketing, research, government representation, environmental issues,

consumer education and food quality assurance. The pork industry in Ontario accounts for

27,000 jobs, and it is estimated that total industry output from farm gate sales is worth $4

billion to the Ontario economy.

Here is a link to the OMAFRA website with the information on the Minister's Decision.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/infores/releases/2010/051310a.htm

Views: 252

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it was a good decision. I still worry about the costs of universal services. Ontario Pork I feel has not tightened there collective belts like the rest of the hog industry has had to in order to survive. I am afraid that they will continue on along the same path giving us little value for there check-off. North American standards for the fee should be somewhere around .70 per pig and I fear it will be much higher.
Good decision, only ten years too late.
Time to move ahead and make it work.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Beef Sector Response to Federal Party Participation at Bill C-282 Rally

The cross-party display of support for Bill C-282 (An Act to amend the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Act (supply management)) that took place at a rally on Parliament Hill yesterday left many sectors, including the beef and cattle sector, both surprised and disappointed.

Cleanfarms Collecting Unwanted Agricultural Pesticides and Old Livestock/Equine Medications in British Columbia starting in October

Starting soon, British Columbia farmers in the Okanagan, Interior and Kootenay regions can safely dispose of unwanted agricultural pesticides and old, obsolete livestock and equine medications through a Cleanfarms program.

Cleanfarms Collecting Unwanted Agricultural Pesticides and Old Livestock/Equine Medications in Southern Alberta starting in October

Starting soon, Southern Alberta farmers can safely dispose of unwanted agricultural pesticides and old, obsolete livestock and equine medications through a Cleanfarms program.

24-13 - Securing Ontario Conservation Land for Rental to Beef Farmers

A pillar of BFO’s strategic plan focuses on growing Ontario’s beef sector by promoting pasture development through the expansion and improvement of existing community pastures, the creation of new community pastures and by working with conservation authorities and different non-governmental organizations like land trusts and other organizations.

Government of Canada invests $535,000 to modernize and expand Muskoka North Good Food Co-op

Today, the Honourable Patty Hajdu, Minister of Indigenous Services and Minister responsible for FedNor, announced a Government of Canada investment of $535,000 to help Muskoka North Good Food Co-op purchase new equipment and expand to meet demand.

© 2024   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service