Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

A story on the front page of the Regional Country News today about puts it over the top with regard to burdensome regs. on slaughter and meat processing plants. The ridiculous standards imposed on this highly important segment of the farm business infrastructure are beyond bizarre.

When these small facilities are gone, they usually do not come back. Without them, small enterprises like mine might as well shut the door because in the recent years our only positive cash flow comes from our direct-to-consumer marketing side, small as it is.

After reading the story, I am working on forming a small group of like-minded people who would be able to carry an "impactful" and articulate message to the people in charge of the inspection bureaucracy.

This group would ideally include beef/pork producers who understand the value and importance of the local butcher shop, some from the "buy local" movement, etc. Small enough to be agile and fast, and big enough to offer full representation.

Do you have any suggestions?

Views: 1237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Laurie,

It was really well written, but Gary Schellenberger lives not more then 1/4 of a mile from me and has never even tried to support us buy buying even one dozen of eggs. He doesn't even canvas us during election, being so close, so I guess why would I expect him to support small farmers.
Which is exactly why this message was written. I couldn't get the image of photo opp's between Ritz, Schellenberger and other parties involved, smiling, holding a cheque and claiming that the $4.5M is going to benefit family farms when, as your message clearly demonstrates, they don't get it - not even close.

A couple updates since I sent the email:
1. I was advised to also copy Perth-Wellington MPP John Wilkinson on email which I did same day as original was sent.
2. Was contacted that same evening by Jim Gracie, VP of Quality Meats indicating that he would like to speak further about this. My response:

Hi Jim.

Thank you for your email in response to my message from earlier today.
I would very much like to chat with you about this funding and the direction in which Great Lakes Specialty Meats in going in the not-so-distant future.

I just came across the following tidbit online:

Mitchell Plant Expansion To Use Ontario Hogs
Tuesday, May 4, 2010 8:21 am
It could take up to two years to finalize the upgrades to the Great Lakes Specialty Meats plant in Mitchell.
But when the upgrades are done a company spokesman says the product coming out of that plant will be a lot different than what's coming out of it now.
Jim Gracie says the plant will change from a basic slaughtering operation to one that's capable of producing higher value-added pork products for domestic and international markets.
And Gracie says they'll be doing that with Ontario hogs.

Quality Meats bought the Mitchell plant late last year.
Gracie says they're hoping to start on the upgrades this summer and have them all finished by March of 2012.

Source: http://www.am920.ca/news.php?mode=day&day=04&mth=05&yr=...

Would love to discuss this and what it means for Ontario farmers and the local option (as it pertains to meat) overall.
I have some time Monday morning. Tues/Wed are pretty booked. Please advise what works for you and we'll proceed accordingly.

Thank you and have a lovely evening.

We are going to be chatting via phone on Monday. Will follow up with you after that.
Hey Laurie,

How did the chat go with Jim Gracie @ Quality Foods.
More News on the Ontario Pork Processing Front.

Maple Leaf launches sale process for Burlington, Ontario, pork processing business

TORONTO, May 25, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ --Maple Leaf Foods (MFI: TSX) today announced that it is launching a formal sale process for its Ontario pork processing business located in Burlington, Ontario, following renewed interest from potential purchasers and improved economic conditions and credit markets. The Company has engaged financial advisors to support the sale process.

"The sale of the Burlington business will complete the last phase of Maple Leaf's protein transformation journey and supports our commitment to refocus our growth in the value-added meat, meals and bakery business," said Michael Vels, Chief Financial Officer. "We are reinvigorating the sale process following renewed interest, including the potential of completing a sale to a producer group."

The 365,000 square foot Burlington facility is one of the largest and most efficient pork processing facilities in Canada. Together with its management and sales teams it is a profitable business with a highly skilled workforce.

Maple Leaf Foods Inc. is a leading Canadian food processing company headquartered in Toronto, Canada. The Company employs approximately 23,500 people at its operations across Canada and in the United States, Europe and Asia. The Company had sales of $5.2 billion in 2009.

SOURCE Maple Leaf Foods Inc.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Is Agriculture on the Brink of a Farm Economy Cliff? The Emotional Testimonies from Capitol Hill this Week

Is agriculture on the brink of an impending farm economy cliff? A panel of experts testified before the House Ag Committee this week about the severe challenges facing agriculture, all the way from the farmer to the supply chain. The hearing on Capitol Hill comes as net farm income is forecast to decrease by $43 billion from 2023 to 2024, marking the most significant two-year decline in history. Meanwhile, production expenses are forecast to increase by $17 billion. During the hearing the Chair of the House Ag Committee expressed his concerns about another farm financial crisis brewing. "We are living through the largest two-year decline in farm income in history," said Rep. G.T. Thompson (R-PA), House Agriculture Committee Chair during the hearing on Tuesday. "At the end of 2024, total farm sector debt will be the highest the U.S. has seen since at least 1970. 3:45 Most farmers and ranchers, including those here with us today, are likely to be worse off financially by years' end."

Canada Updates Old-, New-Crop Balance Sheets

Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) updated its 2023-24 and 2024-25 balance sheets based on information available as of July 15. For 2023-24, the outlook remains largely unchanged as the crop year for most crops closes at the end of July. Total supply for all principal field crops declined notably due to a significant decrease in western Canadian production as a result of drought in large portions of the Prairies. The reduction in supply combined with an increase in domestic use more than offset the decline in exports and led to carryout stocks (ending-year inventories) declining year-over-year. Prices for most principal field crops are projected to be significantly lower than last year, although pulses prices are expected to increase. For 2024-25, the outlook incorporates the most recent data from Statistics Canada’s June 27 acreage data. Total area seeded to principal field crops in Canada in 2024 is estimated to have decreased marginally from 2023, with increased area for puls

Crop Report For The Period July 16 To July 22, 2024

Another hot, dry week has many producers concerned about their crops especially in the southern and western portions of the province. Multiple hot days during the critical flowering stage of many crops has likely lowered yield potential in some areas. Producers are hopeful they will receive rain soon to aid with seed filling as harvest is fast approaching. There are a few reports that crops in the driest areas of the province, mostly early seeded pulses and cereals, are close to being ready for harvest. The persistent high temperatures and low amounts of rainfall continue to push topsoil moisture backwards in the province. Cropland topsoil moisture is rated as 50 per cent adequate, 40 per cent short and 10 per cent very short. Hayland topsoil moisture is rated as 45 per cent adequate, 42 per cent short and 13 per cent very short. Lastly, pasture topsoil moisture is rated as 36 per cent adequate, 45 per cent short and 19 per cent very short. Livestock producers would like to see rain s

CULT Food Science Provides Update on Previously Announced Private Placement of Units

pioneering the commercialization of lab grown meat and cellular agriculture to reshape the global food industry, is pleased to announce the extension of its non-brokered private placement offering of units, previously announced on June 10, 2024 (the "Offering"), to provide additional time for potential investors to participate in this unique investment opportunity.

FPT Ag Ministers’ Meeting recap: Nova Scotia

Minister Greg Morrow will meet the industry to discuss quick improvements to BRM programs

© 2024   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service