Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Hi everyone! I am a third-year journalism student at Loyalist College. Currently, I am working on a documentary about women on the family farm.

I want to explore how these days, women are taking on more active roles than ever before, while at the same time, running homes, raising children, and in some cases, even working outside of the home. I want to know what they think of this shift, and what it means in terms of lifestyle. How do they do it all? How are their husbands/partners supportive? Why is this change significant? Etc.

If anyone lives around the Belleville area and is interested in doing an interview, or knows anyone in the Belleville area, I would really appreciate your help.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions on how to approach the story, that would be appreciated as well.

Thank you so much!

Views: 451

Replies to This Discussion

I do not live in the Belleville area but I have raised four children as we started our farm, the need for the second income could not be denied as my husband has worked off farm for 25 years. As a result full responsibility for the day to day decisions and planning have become my responsibility. I am 51 and looking back now I wonder how I managed, I guess all I can say is that there were allot of long hours trying to keep house and keep a normal life for my children. I do know that there we times throughout the year that you just had to pick the things that you can live with, maybe a little more clutter and dirt in the house then you would like. I do know that I made the time to go to my children's class trips and let the fields wait. I always knew when I put in too many hours, as  I could count on every spring planting season and every harvest my youngest would  always crawl into my bed at 3:00 am. I am a grandmother now and when my first grandchild was born my heart ached because I really felt that at this point in my life I should be able to spend more time with them. I have considered a combine with a jump seat. I have been really lucky that I was able to employ my daughter who brings my grandchildren to work, she now keeps my house in shape while I run the employees and the fields.

Hope this helps you.

 

 

Hi there Rosemarie,

 

Whereabouts are you from? Even though you might live far away, I could still interview you for a print story, if you'd be interested? 

Thanks for your reply..it sounds like you have lived a very busy life on the farm!

 

 

 

Fenwick Ontario close to the St.Catharines Niagara Falls area

That would be okay! We could do a phone interview sometime..it will give the story a broader voice than just local farmers. I'll give you my email so we can arrange a date for an interview, etc.

 

katrinageenevasen@gmail.com

 

 

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

North American Agriculture Leaders Back USMCA and Long-Term Trade Stability

Agriculture leaders from across North America have renewed their commitment to maintaining predictable trade rules and strengthening cooperation on animal health, plant protection and rural development.

BASF Appoints Leta LaRush to Lead U.S. Ag Business Amid Major Restructuring

BASF Agricultural Solutions has unveiled a new organizational structure aimed at improving customer responsiveness and supporting its transition toward operating as an independent business.

Canada's Productivity Mega Deduction Could Fuel New Farm and Ag-Tech Investment

The federal government says its new Productivity Mega Deduction represents one of the most significant tax changes in decades, expanding immediate write-offs for business investments.

Agtech innovators to share validation insights at Agriculture Enlightened 2026

Testing and validating new technologies is an essential part of scaling an agtech business. This work being done at EMILI’s Innovation Farms and AIVA Network’s Validation Hubs helps innovators commercialize their products and increases the adoption of their solutions.  During Agriculture Enlightened, Canada’s Agtech Conference, hear from Marcel Kringe, founder and CEO of BranValt, and Katie Friesen, founder and CEO of FarmerTitan, about their experience validating their technologies through the AIVA Network this season. The pair will be joined by Peter Frey, CEO of Spade Technologies, and Darren Anderson, CEO of Vive Crop Protection for a discussion around what they have learned through the validation process in this panel moderated by Chelsea Platzke, board chair of BioTalent.  Marcel Kringe grew up on a family farm in Germany, where he pursued an ag engineering degree. Work and travel studies in Canada, Russia and Brazil led him to move to Canada. He learned English on the go while

Selling grain to an unlicensed buyer: Approval and sampling requirements

Before selling grain to an unlicensed buyer, producers with AFSC production insurance should understand the requirements that apply and the steps they need to take to protect their coverage. Agriculture Financial Services (AFSC) defines a licensed buyer as a grain buyer licensed by the Canadian Grain Commission (CGC) as either a primary elevator or terminal elevator. AFSC only accepts receipted grades on sales from buyers holding one of these licence types. The Commission offers several classes of licences, each with different requirements. Primary and terminal elevator are the only licence classes required to sample grain upon receipt and resolve grade and dockage issues through the CGC. If grain is sold to a grain dealer, private buyer or process elevator before a post-harvest inspection is completed, AFSC may use the client’s samples. However, clients must contact their preferred branch office before moving any grain and obtain approval to collect samples for grading purposes. I

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service