Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Hi everyone! I am a third-year journalism student at Loyalist College. Currently, I am working on a documentary about women on the family farm.

I want to explore how these days, women are taking on more active roles than ever before, while at the same time, running homes, raising children, and in some cases, even working outside of the home. I want to know what they think of this shift, and what it means in terms of lifestyle. How do they do it all? How are their husbands/partners supportive? Why is this change significant? Etc.

If anyone lives around the Belleville area and is interested in doing an interview, or knows anyone in the Belleville area, I would really appreciate your help.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions on how to approach the story, that would be appreciated as well.

Thank you so much!

Views: 453

Replies to This Discussion

I do not live in the Belleville area but I have raised four children as we started our farm, the need for the second income could not be denied as my husband has worked off farm for 25 years. As a result full responsibility for the day to day decisions and planning have become my responsibility. I am 51 and looking back now I wonder how I managed, I guess all I can say is that there were allot of long hours trying to keep house and keep a normal life for my children. I do know that there we times throughout the year that you just had to pick the things that you can live with, maybe a little more clutter and dirt in the house then you would like. I do know that I made the time to go to my children's class trips and let the fields wait. I always knew when I put in too many hours, as  I could count on every spring planting season and every harvest my youngest would  always crawl into my bed at 3:00 am. I am a grandmother now and when my first grandchild was born my heart ached because I really felt that at this point in my life I should be able to spend more time with them. I have considered a combine with a jump seat. I have been really lucky that I was able to employ my daughter who brings my grandchildren to work, she now keeps my house in shape while I run the employees and the fields.

Hope this helps you.

 

 

Hi there Rosemarie,

 

Whereabouts are you from? Even though you might live far away, I could still interview you for a print story, if you'd be interested? 

Thanks for your reply..it sounds like you have lived a very busy life on the farm!

 

 

 

Fenwick Ontario close to the St.Catharines Niagara Falls area

That would be okay! We could do a phone interview sometime..it will give the story a broader voice than just local farmers. I'll give you my email so we can arrange a date for an interview, etc.

 

katrinageenevasen@gmail.com

 

 

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Farmland Demand Strong in Alberta, Not so for the Rest of Canada

Canadian farmland values continued to climb in the first half of 2026, but growth slowed as producers faced tighter margins, higher costs, and ongoing trade uncertainty.

Canadian Ethanol Industry Pushes Ottawa to Act as U.S. Imports Gain Market Share

Canada's ethanol sector is pressing Ottawa to move quickly on long-promised Clean Fuel Regulations reforms. Industry leaders warn that without a stronger incentive for domestic production.

Nortera Green Giant Deal Called Off

Canada’s Competition Bureau has welcomed the decision by Nortera and B&G Foods Canada to abandon a proposed acquisition involving major vegetable brands. The Bureau said the deal could have reduced competition, leading to higher prices and fewer choices for consumers.

Ontario Meat Awards Crown Top Processors

Ontario’s top meat processors were honoured at the 2026 Ontario’s Finest Meat Competition, recognizing outstanding quality, innovation and craftsmanship.

What Would Make Seed Potato Testing Work Better for Alberta Growers?

An accredited Alberta laboratory is asking growers and industry partners to help shape a seed potato testing process that is practical, accessible, and sustainable for the long term. When 20/20 Seed Labs developed its Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)-approved seed potato testing capacity in Nisku, the opportunity seemed straightforward: Alberta growers would have access to an accredited laboratory closer to home. Before this service was established, Alberta potato growers often had to ship samples out of province — in some cases as far away as Prince Edward Island — for testing. Establishing testing capacity in Alberta made sense for growers, the industry, and the broader goal of building local agricultural services. But proximity is only one factor in a grower’s decision about testing, says Sarah Foster, President and Senior Seed Analyst at 20/20. “A grower managing multiple varieties and seed lots must consider the cost of each test, how samples are collected and shipped, h

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service