Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Cell phone stories - what do you like and what has worked or not worked for you? What tasks are you using your smart phones for?

I have been talking to alot of farmers and agribusiness people about cell and smart phones the past couple of months and getting feedback on what they like/dislike.  The guys here are Farms.com think that people will want more mobile access to information in the future so we are researching what the new technologies can deliver and what is practical in a farming environment.

 

Here is a bit of what I am learning so far:

 

LB (farmer) has a Blackberry (I think it was a Torch version) and uses it checking email and grain market prices during the day.  He thinks he will need a laptop computer with internet access in the pickup in the future to keep track of things during the spring and fall - not at the office as much...

 

AD farmer has a Blackberry and uses it mainly for email and as a cell phone.

 

iPhone:  I have played with one a couple of times the past few months, I think a durable case is a good idea because they are not made for harsh conditions.  I do like the apps and do like the ability to watch videos etc.  (BB can do that now as well) 

 

Blackberry: I have had one for the past 3 or so years and wondered what I did before...I am a heavy email user and do browse the web for information on mine...use a weather app for forecasts and check market prices on our http://mobile.farms.com site.

 

This is a little info from my discussions, let me know what you guys have as far as hardware and what info might be valuable to you on the go.

 

Thanks,

 

Joe Dales

Farms.com

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Views: 116

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Joe!

I am a recent Smart Phone user and not sure how I managed with out my BlackBerry before.  I have the new BB Bold and have been very happy with it so far. Before now I used a regular ole' cell phone, which are now being called "Talk and Text" phones. Having access to data plans and the ability to check my emails on the go really has made my down time more efficient. I had a hard time deciding between the iPhone or the BB, as the iPhone's screen is much larger and therefore the viewing size of text and images would be larger too. I did not know that the BB hard such great zoom features and many sites are made for mobile devices now, so navigating the sites are much easier. As for apps, I use the weather app all the time, it's in my favorite list and its the first thing I check in the morning. Next would be foursquare, an app based on GPS where you can "check in" at a place you are at and it records that location. It was really fun to use that one for a contest to check in at a location of their choice and win a prize. Using the farms.com mobile site is so easy to use and has been a great way to stay connected and learn lots of great information.

That's just a few thoughts on my new BlackBerry, and as you can tell... I love it!

Mac

I have a BB for email and weather app.

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Small Plane Crashes Near Fergus Into a Corn Field

A small general aviation aircraft crashed into a corn field north of Fergus, Ontario, on October 9, catching fire and triggering a major emergency response.

Western Canada’s Premier Fall Livestock Showcase

Manitoba AG EX is the province’s largest all-breeds cattle show. Drawing top breeders, livestock exhibitors, and industry leaders from across Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta. Held each fall in Brandon, Manitoba AG EX is more than just a cattle show, it’s a celebration of agricultural excellence, youth development, and community learning. With high-level competition in purebred livestock, interactive learning experiences for youth, and the return of crowd-favourite attractions like MooMania and EweMania, AG EX offers something for everyone. Highlights include the Little Lady Classic, Jackpot Bull Show, Junior Show and Showmanship, and the prestigious Supreme Breed Extravaganza, where breed champions go head-to-head for the title before advancing to the Canadian Western Agribition in Regina.

FCC Ag Summit in Winnipeg

Ideas to inspire. Insights to act. Looking to level up your farm business? Join us at the FCC Ag Summit, a series of free, one-day events to help Canadian producers like you strengthen the business side of your operations and prepare for what’s ahead. Have fun as industry experts share their latest findings and best practices. From technology and artificial intelligence to leadership, succession, workplace culture and the future of Canadian agriculture, the agenda is built to deliver value for farms of all sizes and stages. Bring your family, your management team or anyone involved in the decisions that shape your operation. Leave with practical takeaways and new connections to support your next steps.

Crop Report – October 6, 2026

Upcoming Events & News  • CropTalk Webinar: Marketing the 2026 Crop, Wednesday, October 7 at 9  am  • Get the print version of Seed Manitoba delivered directly to your door! Sign up for the print edition and/or the Seed Manitoba newsletter here: https://seedmb.ca/subscribe/   Weather Report   • Rain this week brought variable precipitation accumulations across Manitoba.  Southern regions along the US border in the East and Central regions received between 5 and 30 mm of rain. The Interlake and  Northwest regions saw accumulations of less than 1 mm over the past seven days.  The highest accumulation of precipitation was at Gardenton with 32.9 mm. Climate normals for total accumulated precipitation from May 1 to October 4 range from 261 mm to 404 mm and are based on 30-year historical data. Since May 1, large areas of the Northwest and Southwest regions have  accumulated more than 380 mm of precipitation. Seasonal accumulations are above normal for most of the Northwest, Southwest, an

Navigating Change. Seeding For Success.

Mark your calendars — the CrossRoads Crop Conference is back January 26 & 27, 2027 at the DoubleTree by Hilton West Edmonton, bringing producers, industry leaders, and researchers together for a day and half of learning, networking, and inspiration. Producers can lock in early bird pricing of just $179 plus taxes and fees before December 31, 2026, making it easy to secure a spot at one of Western Canada's premier agriculture events. Highlights of the 2027 CrossRoads Conference include: Keynote presentations from Damian Mason, respected agri-food leader; Mark Redmond with D’Arcy Hilgartner, speaking on the importance of research to producers; and Gitane De Silva, public policy leader. Expert sessions covering the latest in agronomy, farm business management, and ag technology. Networking Lounge & Industry Mixer networking opportunities with producers, researchers, and industry partners. Annual General Meetings hosted by Alberta Grains, Alberta Pulse Growers, and Alberta Canola Produc

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service