Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Cell phone stories - what do you like and what has worked or not worked for you? What tasks are you using your smart phones for?

I have been talking to alot of farmers and agribusiness people about cell and smart phones the past couple of months and getting feedback on what they like/dislike.  The guys here are Farms.com think that people will want more mobile access to information in the future so we are researching what the new technologies can deliver and what is practical in a farming environment.

 

Here is a bit of what I am learning so far:

 

LB (farmer) has a Blackberry (I think it was a Torch version) and uses it checking email and grain market prices during the day.  He thinks he will need a laptop computer with internet access in the pickup in the future to keep track of things during the spring and fall - not at the office as much...

 

AD farmer has a Blackberry and uses it mainly for email and as a cell phone.

 

iPhone:  I have played with one a couple of times the past few months, I think a durable case is a good idea because they are not made for harsh conditions.  I do like the apps and do like the ability to watch videos etc.  (BB can do that now as well) 

 

Blackberry: I have had one for the past 3 or so years and wondered what I did before...I am a heavy email user and do browse the web for information on mine...use a weather app for forecasts and check market prices on our http://mobile.farms.com site.

 

This is a little info from my discussions, let me know what you guys have as far as hardware and what info might be valuable to you on the go.

 

Thanks,

 

Joe Dales

Farms.com

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Views: 116

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Joe!

I am a recent Smart Phone user and not sure how I managed with out my BlackBerry before.  I have the new BB Bold and have been very happy with it so far. Before now I used a regular ole' cell phone, which are now being called "Talk and Text" phones. Having access to data plans and the ability to check my emails on the go really has made my down time more efficient. I had a hard time deciding between the iPhone or the BB, as the iPhone's screen is much larger and therefore the viewing size of text and images would be larger too. I did not know that the BB hard such great zoom features and many sites are made for mobile devices now, so navigating the sites are much easier. As for apps, I use the weather app all the time, it's in my favorite list and its the first thing I check in the morning. Next would be foursquare, an app based on GPS where you can "check in" at a place you are at and it records that location. It was really fun to use that one for a contest to check in at a location of their choice and win a prize. Using the farms.com mobile site is so easy to use and has been a great way to stay connected and learn lots of great information.

That's just a few thoughts on my new BlackBerry, and as you can tell... I love it!

Mac

I have a BB for email and weather app.

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

How Much of Your Thanksgiving Dinner Reaches Canadian Farmers?

As Canadians prepare Thanksgiving meals, many wonder how much of their grocery bill goes back to the farm.

A Thanksgiving meal from Canadian farmers

Each province’s ag sector would contribute a different ingredient

Manitoba Crop Alliance announces results of 2026 crop committee delegate nominations

Manitoba Crop Alliance (MCA) is pleased to announce the results of the nomination process for delegate positions on its four crop committees. The nomination period ran from July 1 to Oct. 1, 2026. In total, 15 farmer members were nominated for the 17 available delegate positions across the four crop committees and are thereby elected by acclamation. Among those 15 delegates, four are new to their respective committees and 11 are incumbents. “Our crop committees provide a strong voice for each crop type we represent, while also creating opportunities for collaboration and a cross-commodity approach to the issues all farmers face,” says MCA CEO Pam de Rocquigny. “I would like to thank all the MCA farmer members who let their names stand for nomination and I look forward to seeing how they will help guide the direction of our industry.” Corn: Doug Martin (East Selkirk), Jonothan Hodson (Lenore), Warren McCutcheon (Carman) and Joel Doerksen (MacGregor) were nominated for the four avail

We’re Hiring an Agronomy Assistant for the 2027 Growing Season!

Manitoba Pulse & Soybean Growers’ On-Farm Network is looking for an Agronomy Assistant for a 4-month term in the 2027 growing season! We’re looking for a post-secondary student in Agriculture or a related discipline with strong communication skills, familiarity with prairie crop production and a valid Manitoba driver’s license. You can gain hands-on experience in: Field-scale research and data collection Pest surveillance, crop scouting and reporting field observations Conducting a personal research project The position is based in Carman, MB but job responsibilities take place across agro-Manitoba. We offer: Competitive wages Opportunity to receive a performance bonus Student-friendly working environment

Historic Yorkton Brick Flour Mill Opens Interpretive Centre Strengthening Cultural Tourism to Share Saskatchewan's Agricultural Story

Saskatchewan's oldest remaining brick flour mill is the province's newest cultural tourism destination, sharing the province's rich agricultural heritage with residents and visitors. Supported in part through a $600,000 investment from the Government of Saskatchewan, the Yorkton Brick Flour Mill Interpretive Centre was officially opened yesterday as an educational hub, featuring artifacts, exhibits and displays that bring the region's agricultural history to life.   "This is an exciting day for the community of Yorkton and our province's tourism industry," Parks, Culture, Sport, Minister and Minister Responsible for Tourism Saskatchewan Alana Ross said. "This iconic landmark is a cherished part of Yorkton's history and Saskatchewan's agricultural heritage. It is an important part of our story that has been preserved through the extensive and ongoing efforts by the community, and our government is so pleased that we could join with them, provide support, and help the Society complete

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service