Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

I was interested in doing a shared farm.  I am not interested in living on it full time, just being a weekend hobby farmer.  Anyone have information on cooperative farms?

Views: 737

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where are you located Ren?  Do you have any experience?  What type of farm are you interested in?  Livestock, horticulture, cash crop?  Are you able to do physica labour? 

Answering some of these questions might help someone contact you....alot of farmers are looking for reliable help this time of year.

Good luck,

RR

 

 

Thank you for getting back to me.  Right now I live in NYC.  I am planning a move back to Toronto and am currently looking at real estate.  I originally come from Sarnia and always picked fruit in Forest.  I wanted to make an investment in a small farm where I could farm for my own consumption and learn how to do it.  I like the Forest area, close to Lake Huron but open to ideas. 

Hey Ren, Check out the East Gwillimbury, Georgina area just North of Newmarket.  I just bought property up there and its quite reasonable.  Its within an hour of Toronto so I will be commuting in some days to Toronto and working from home others. Hope that helps!

thank you.  I will check it out.  I am hoping for some sort of orchard too.

Ekandi said:

Hey Ren, Check out the East Gwillimbury, Georgina area just North of Newmarket.  I just bought property up there and its quite reasonable.  Its within an hour of Toronto so I will be commuting in some days to Toronto and working from home others. Hope that helps!

I am also finding that I could probably find a few acres that might work for me.  Though more work.

If you are moving back to Toronto I suggest that you visit some of the local farmers markets vendors to see if you can swap some labour for some fruit and vegetables....they likely need seasonal help they can dount on and you get to work with someone you don't mind helping out for payment in produce and the experience.

Good luck,

Joe

Try checking out Farm Link, www.farmlink.net, a project of Farm Start: www.farmstart.ca. This is a program dedicated to innovative land tenure arrangements. You might be able to set up an arrangement with other new farmers that is mutually beneficial.

Farmland around Toronto might be a little too expensive for what you are looking for.

You might want to search Google for any urban gardening clubs in the Toronto area.

You could start out and if you like it, look for a larger property.

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

How Much of Your Thanksgiving Dinner Reaches Canadian Farmers?

As Canadians prepare Thanksgiving meals, many wonder how much of their grocery bill goes back to the farm.

A Thanksgiving meal from Canadian farmers

Each province’s ag sector would contribute a different ingredient

Manitoba Crop Alliance announces results of 2026 crop committee delegate nominations

Manitoba Crop Alliance (MCA) is pleased to announce the results of the nomination process for delegate positions on its four crop committees. The nomination period ran from July 1 to Oct. 1, 2026. In total, 15 farmer members were nominated for the 17 available delegate positions across the four crop committees and are thereby elected by acclamation. Among those 15 delegates, four are new to their respective committees and 11 are incumbents. “Our crop committees provide a strong voice for each crop type we represent, while also creating opportunities for collaboration and a cross-commodity approach to the issues all farmers face,” says MCA CEO Pam de Rocquigny. “I would like to thank all the MCA farmer members who let their names stand for nomination and I look forward to seeing how they will help guide the direction of our industry.” Corn: Doug Martin (East Selkirk), Jonothan Hodson (Lenore), Warren McCutcheon (Carman) and Joel Doerksen (MacGregor) were nominated for the four avail

We’re Hiring an Agronomy Assistant for the 2027 Growing Season!

Manitoba Pulse & Soybean Growers’ On-Farm Network is looking for an Agronomy Assistant for a 4-month term in the 2027 growing season! We’re looking for a post-secondary student in Agriculture or a related discipline with strong communication skills, familiarity with prairie crop production and a valid Manitoba driver’s license. You can gain hands-on experience in: Field-scale research and data collection Pest surveillance, crop scouting and reporting field observations Conducting a personal research project The position is based in Carman, MB but job responsibilities take place across agro-Manitoba. We offer: Competitive wages Opportunity to receive a performance bonus Student-friendly working environment

Historic Yorkton Brick Flour Mill Opens Interpretive Centre Strengthening Cultural Tourism to Share Saskatchewan's Agricultural Story

Saskatchewan's oldest remaining brick flour mill is the province's newest cultural tourism destination, sharing the province's rich agricultural heritage with residents and visitors. Supported in part through a $600,000 investment from the Government of Saskatchewan, the Yorkton Brick Flour Mill Interpretive Centre was officially opened yesterday as an educational hub, featuring artifacts, exhibits and displays that bring the region's agricultural history to life.   "This is an exciting day for the community of Yorkton and our province's tourism industry," Parks, Culture, Sport, Minister and Minister Responsible for Tourism Saskatchewan Alana Ross said. "This iconic landmark is a cherished part of Yorkton's history and Saskatchewan's agricultural heritage. It is an important part of our story that has been preserved through the extensive and ongoing efforts by the community, and our government is so pleased that we could join with them, provide support, and help the Society complete

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service