Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

I was interested in doing a shared farm.  I am not interested in living on it full time, just being a weekend hobby farmer.  Anyone have information on cooperative farms?

Views: 735

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where are you located Ren?  Do you have any experience?  What type of farm are you interested in?  Livestock, horticulture, cash crop?  Are you able to do physica labour? 

Answering some of these questions might help someone contact you....alot of farmers are looking for reliable help this time of year.

Good luck,

RR

 

 

Thank you for getting back to me.  Right now I live in NYC.  I am planning a move back to Toronto and am currently looking at real estate.  I originally come from Sarnia and always picked fruit in Forest.  I wanted to make an investment in a small farm where I could farm for my own consumption and learn how to do it.  I like the Forest area, close to Lake Huron but open to ideas. 

Hey Ren, Check out the East Gwillimbury, Georgina area just North of Newmarket.  I just bought property up there and its quite reasonable.  Its within an hour of Toronto so I will be commuting in some days to Toronto and working from home others. Hope that helps!

thank you.  I will check it out.  I am hoping for some sort of orchard too.

Ekandi said:

Hey Ren, Check out the East Gwillimbury, Georgina area just North of Newmarket.  I just bought property up there and its quite reasonable.  Its within an hour of Toronto so I will be commuting in some days to Toronto and working from home others. Hope that helps!

I am also finding that I could probably find a few acres that might work for me.  Though more work.

If you are moving back to Toronto I suggest that you visit some of the local farmers markets vendors to see if you can swap some labour for some fruit and vegetables....they likely need seasonal help they can dount on and you get to work with someone you don't mind helping out for payment in produce and the experience.

Good luck,

Joe

Try checking out Farm Link, www.farmlink.net, a project of Farm Start: www.farmstart.ca. This is a program dedicated to innovative land tenure arrangements. You might be able to set up an arrangement with other new farmers that is mutually beneficial.

Farmland around Toronto might be a little too expensive for what you are looking for.

You might want to search Google for any urban gardening clubs in the Toronto area.

You could start out and if you like it, look for a larger property.

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

North American Agriculture Leaders Back USMCA and Long-Term Trade Stability

Agriculture leaders from across North America have renewed their commitment to maintaining predictable trade rules and strengthening cooperation on animal health, plant protection and rural development.

BASF Appoints Leta LaRush to Lead U.S. Ag Business Amid Major Restructuring

BASF Agricultural Solutions has unveiled a new organizational structure aimed at improving customer responsiveness and supporting its transition toward operating as an independent business.

Canada's Productivity Mega Deduction Could Fuel New Farm and Ag-Tech Investment

The federal government says its new Productivity Mega Deduction represents one of the most significant tax changes in decades, expanding immediate write-offs for business investments.

Agtech innovators to share validation insights at Agriculture Enlightened 2026

Testing and validating new technologies is an essential part of scaling an agtech business. This work being done at EMILI’s Innovation Farms and AIVA Network’s Validation Hubs helps innovators commercialize their products and increases the adoption of their solutions.  During Agriculture Enlightened, Canada’s Agtech Conference, hear from Marcel Kringe, founder and CEO of BranValt, and Katie Friesen, founder and CEO of FarmerTitan, about their experience validating their technologies through the AIVA Network this season. The pair will be joined by Peter Frey, CEO of Spade Technologies, and Darren Anderson, CEO of Vive Crop Protection for a discussion around what they have learned through the validation process in this panel moderated by Chelsea Platzke, board chair of BioTalent.  Marcel Kringe grew up on a family farm in Germany, where he pursued an ag engineering degree. Work and travel studies in Canada, Russia and Brazil led him to move to Canada. He learned English on the go while

Selling grain to an unlicensed buyer: Approval and sampling requirements

Before selling grain to an unlicensed buyer, producers with AFSC production insurance should understand the requirements that apply and the steps they need to take to protect their coverage. Agriculture Financial Services (AFSC) defines a licensed buyer as a grain buyer licensed by the Canadian Grain Commission (CGC) as either a primary elevator or terminal elevator. AFSC only accepts receipted grades on sales from buyers holding one of these licence types. The Commission offers several classes of licences, each with different requirements. Primary and terminal elevator are the only licence classes required to sample grain upon receipt and resolve grade and dockage issues through the CGC. If grain is sold to a grain dealer, private buyer or process elevator before a post-harvest inspection is completed, AFSC may use the client’s samples. However, clients must contact their preferred branch office before moving any grain and obtain approval to collect samples for grading purposes. I

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service