Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

I was interested in doing a shared farm.  I am not interested in living on it full time, just being a weekend hobby farmer.  Anyone have information on cooperative farms?

Views: 630

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where are you located Ren?  Do you have any experience?  What type of farm are you interested in?  Livestock, horticulture, cash crop?  Are you able to do physica labour? 

Answering some of these questions might help someone contact you....alot of farmers are looking for reliable help this time of year.

Good luck,

RR

Thank you for getting back to me.  Right now I live in NYC.  I am planning a move back to Toronto and am currently looking at real estate.  I originally come from Sarnia and always picked fruit in Forest.  I wanted to make an investment in a small farm where I could farm for my own consumption and learn how to do it.  I like the Forest area, close to Lake Huron but open to ideas. 

Hey Ren, Check out the East Gwillimbury, Georgina area just North of Newmarket.  I just bought property up there and its quite reasonable.  Its within an hour of Toronto so I will be commuting in some days to Toronto and working from home others. Hope that helps!

thank you.  I will check it out.  I am hoping for some sort of orchard too.

Ekandi said:

Hey Ren, Check out the East Gwillimbury, Georgina area just North of Newmarket.  I just bought property up there and its quite reasonable.  Its within an hour of Toronto so I will be commuting in some days to Toronto and working from home others. Hope that helps!

I am also finding that I could probably find a few acres that might work for me.  Though more work.

If you are moving back to Toronto I suggest that you visit some of the local farmers markets vendors to see if you can swap some labour for some fruit and vegetables....they likely need seasonal help they can dount on and you get to work with someone you don't mind helping out for payment in produce and the experience.

Good luck,

Joe

Try checking out Farm Link, www.farmlink.net, a project of Farm Start: www.farmstart.ca. This is a program dedicated to innovative land tenure arrangements. You might be able to set up an arrangement with other new farmers that is mutually beneficial.

Farmland around Toronto might be a little too expensive for what you are looking for.

You might want to search Google for any urban gardening clubs in the Toronto area.

You could start out and if you like it, look for a larger property.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Learn more about risk management at The Dish

Risk management is critical in farming today as producers deal with the inherent uncertainties of agriculture. By adopting strategies that limit risks posed by unpredictable weather conditions, changing markets, or volatile geopolitical factors, producers can protect and grow their operation. Each producer needs to examine their situation and the tools available to them before making risk management decisions. Luckily, an upcoming information session, The Dish at AgSmart, will equip farmers with the diverse tools and strategies they need to navigate the complexities of agricultural risk management. The Dish, hosted by Agriculture Financial Services (AFSC), takes place July 30 in Olds and will feature lunch and networking opportunities. “This year’s session of The Dish will give young, new and existing producers an opportunity to really look at what risk management entails,” said Darryl Kay, AFSC’s chief executive officer. “Attendees will have an opportunity to learn from industry exp

Canadian Cattle Young Leaders Travel to Ontario for Annual Spring Forum

Last week, the Canadian Cattle Young Leaders (CYL) Program hosted its annual Spring Forum offering unique learning and networking opportunities for the next generation of beef industry leaders. This year’s forum took place from June 6 to June 8, in Guelph and surrounding area. The annual event brings together the program’s 16 participants (ages 18 to 35) from across Canada, for three days of industry tours, classroom learning sessions and networking opportunities. Speakers and session topics included: building your personal and professional brand, public speaking training, leadership and policy development within the Canadian beef industry, beef sustainability, financial literacy, and the latest innovations in precision agriculture technology. Young leaders had the opportunity to tour the McDonald’s Canada headquarters in Toronto with networking sessions with leaders across sustainability, communications, supply chain, government affairs and had a unique opportunity to meet and in

Canadian Cattle Young Leaders names its 2024 Program semi-finalists

The Canadian Cattle Association’s (CCA) Canadian Cattle Young Leaders (CYL) Program is pleased to announce its semi-finalists for the upcoming 2024-2025 program year. Established by CCA in 2010, the Canadian CYL Program welcomes young people ages 18-35 from across Canada involved in all areas of the beef supply chain. The Canadian CYL Program aims to build the next generation of industry leaders by providing unique mentorship, training, and professional and personal development opportunities in the Canadian beef industry. Semi-finalists were selected by a judging panel from impressive written applications submitted from across the country. Applications are available annually from early January to the end of March on the Canadian CYL Program website. Semi-finalists are invited to attend the annual CYL Selections Competition on August 20, 2024, during the Canadian Beef Industry Conference in Saskatoon, SK. The semi-finalists will participate in judged roundtable discussions on timely

AGCO Announces New Production Ag and Rural Lifestyle Dealership Locations in 2024

a global leader in the design, manufacture and distribution of agricultural machinery and precision ag technology, announced today several new locations opened this year in its Production Ag and Rural Lifestyle dealership networks.

AGCO Dealership Launches Same-Day Parts Delivery Service

AGCO (NYSE: AGCO), a global leader in the design, manufacture and distribution of agricultural machinery and precision ag technology, announced the launch of AgRevolution's™ same-day delivery service for machinery parts

© 2024   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service