Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

I was interested in doing a shared farm.  I am not interested in living on it full time, just being a weekend hobby farmer.  Anyone have information on cooperative farms?

Views: 735

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where are you located Ren?  Do you have any experience?  What type of farm are you interested in?  Livestock, horticulture, cash crop?  Are you able to do physica labour? 

Answering some of these questions might help someone contact you....alot of farmers are looking for reliable help this time of year.

Good luck,

RR

 

 

Thank you for getting back to me.  Right now I live in NYC.  I am planning a move back to Toronto and am currently looking at real estate.  I originally come from Sarnia and always picked fruit in Forest.  I wanted to make an investment in a small farm where I could farm for my own consumption and learn how to do it.  I like the Forest area, close to Lake Huron but open to ideas. 

Hey Ren, Check out the East Gwillimbury, Georgina area just North of Newmarket.  I just bought property up there and its quite reasonable.  Its within an hour of Toronto so I will be commuting in some days to Toronto and working from home others. Hope that helps!

thank you.  I will check it out.  I am hoping for some sort of orchard too.

Ekandi said:

Hey Ren, Check out the East Gwillimbury, Georgina area just North of Newmarket.  I just bought property up there and its quite reasonable.  Its within an hour of Toronto so I will be commuting in some days to Toronto and working from home others. Hope that helps!

I am also finding that I could probably find a few acres that might work for me.  Though more work.

If you are moving back to Toronto I suggest that you visit some of the local farmers markets vendors to see if you can swap some labour for some fruit and vegetables....they likely need seasonal help they can dount on and you get to work with someone you don't mind helping out for payment in produce and the experience.

Good luck,

Joe

Try checking out Farm Link, www.farmlink.net, a project of Farm Start: www.farmstart.ca. This is a program dedicated to innovative land tenure arrangements. You might be able to set up an arrangement with other new farmers that is mutually beneficial.

Farmland around Toronto might be a little too expensive for what you are looking for.

You might want to search Google for any urban gardening clubs in the Toronto area.

You could start out and if you like it, look for a larger property.

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Canadian Beef Check-Off Agency Scholarship Winner

The Canadian Beef Cattle Check-Off Agency is pleased to announce that Ryan Trefiak of Edgerton, AB has been awarded the 2026 $2000 scholarship. Ryan is pursuing studies in Agricultural Systems Technologies at Iowa State University. This year’s judging panel noted they were impressed by the quality and dedication of all candidates, making the selection process a difficult one. Since its launch, the scholarship program has grown into one of the Agency’s most wide-reaching communications initiatives, connecting with students across the beef industry and helping support the next generation of leaders in Canadian agriculture. Congratulations, Ryan! We wish you continued success in your studies.

Field Week: Covering distance, literally and academically

There is only so much environmental science that can be learned in a classroom or science lab. Field experience is woven throughout Lakeland College’s environmental sciences programs, with labs taking place in the natural spaces on and around campus throughout the year. Each year, however, that experience is intensified during Field Week. That’s when second-year environmental sciences students find themselves knee-deep in the river electrofishing, setting up and checking small mammal traps, deploying autonomous recording units, constructing bat houses, capturing, banding and releasing songbirds, reading soil profiles, touring mine sites and assessing wetlands. “I love the hands-on experience,” says Mackenzie Hamm, a second-year environmental sciences student majoring in wildlife and fisheries conservation. “We’ve got to learn quite a few different things. It really brings into context what we’re learning in the classroom, so I can actually apply all of that theory that we’ve been doi

Growing the future: Judy Sweet invests in Lakeland’s ag students

Judy Sweet is continuing her longstanding support of Lakeland College agricultural sciences students by investing in the Student-Managed Farm (SMF) Lab Revitalization project. Sweet’s gift will support upgrades to the calving barn on the Vermilion campus farm, enhancing agricultural teaching, applied research, animal care and industry collaboration. The improvements will also strengthen facility functionality, sustainability and long-term operational capacity. “Judy Sweet’s generosity is an investment in the future of agriculture and in the students who will lead it,” says Dr. Alice Wainwright-Stewart, president and CEO of Lakeland College. “Her continued support of Lakeland’s Student-Managed Farm helps us provide the modern facilities and hands-on learning experiences our students need to put their education into action. This gift will strengthen animal care, help advance applied research and prepare graduates to make a meaningful impact in this essential industry. We are deeply gra

Canada could add $5.4B to GDP by processing more of its crops at home: EY

Canada could generate up to $5.4 billion in additional GDP and support approximately 34,000 full-time-equivalent jobs by redirecting just 10 per cent of its raw crop exports to value-added processing here at home, according to new EY analysis released today by Protein Industries Canada. The findings come as the federal government has made domestic food processing a national priority through its National Food Security Strategy. The strategy calls for Canada to reduce its dependence on other countries by processing more of the food it grows and sets an explicit objective to increase domestic processing to strengthen self-sufficiency and drive economic growth. Canada already has an extraordinary foundation to build from. Its food and agriculture sector contributed $149.2 billion to GDP in 2024 and supported 2.3 million jobs, while Canada remains a leading producer of major crops including wheat, canola and corn. But too often, Canadian crops leave the country before the higher-value pro

Thiesse, Parman discuss farm economy, tight margins at Big Iron

Live from the Big Iron Farm and Construction Show on Wednesday, Sept. 16, Kent Thiesse, farm management analyst, and Bryon Parman, NDSU farm management specialist, joined the Red River Farm Network’s “Issues and Events Center” to discuss the farm economy and the tight margins farmers are dealing with. The conversation kicked off with both guests discussing their concerns when it comes to farm balance sheets heading into 2027. “I think there’s certainly some positivity out there in the markets,” Thiesse said. “We’ve seen a runup in both corn and soybean prices, even wheat prices. Unfortunately, we’ve also seen a runup in input costs, as well. Fertilizer costs a year ago at this time were a big concern. They’ve kind of leveled out, but they haven’t really come down much. “As we look forward and start running the pencil for next year, even with higher commodity prices, we’re maybe breakeven on soybeans and we’re in the red with corn based on the numbers I’ve looked at. We’re facing som

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service