Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Hi Everyone

 

Just returned from a 3 day trip and once again I am aggravated by my poor map reading/navigation.

 

I'm thinking about getting one of those gps for the car. What do I need to know. Heard Garmin is the best. Any suggestions appreciated.

Views: 396

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a Tom Tom and love it. I find it to be very user friendly.
I have a Garmin, its great but sometimes takes you out of your way. I have done a few experiments while traveling to a known destination. I input the destination data into my Garmin just to see what way it would take me. More often then not it chooses a route I normally would never take. I think most GPS systems are like this, think they choose the main highways. Just remember to update your GPS, this is easily done on the GPS makers website. I have heard that Tom Tom and Garmin are the best so either way you will have a good system.
I don't have one...are they easy to use? Also how much is a good one?
I have a Tom Tom. Its great. It also allows you to correct any errors on the maps, and pickup corrections made by others, when you sync online. Lots of options to plan your route: shortest distance, shortest time, etc.
If you have a smartphone(blackberry or equiv.) with GPS built in(most newer phones do), download google maps for free.
I have a Garmin...I like it, but here are some ideas for you:

- I like my Garmin because it allows me to categorize Favourite destinations....You can group them for Personal, Business, Kid Stuff, specific trips, whatever categories you choose. It makes it easier to find them later.
- Rural locations are sometimes tough because you often need the new Municipality name, not the old township or mailing address. Maybe some of the other GPS units are better at this, I dont know.
- You can set it to avoid gravel roads (or in our case, stick to them!). What I havent found it able to do is exclude No Winter Maintenance roads....
- One thing I havent been able to figure out easily is to have a north arrow on the screen. Unlike a map, the GPS tells you which way to turn, left or right, but it doesnt tell me which Im currently going! With a map, you can always orient yourself when you get to an intersection. I finally found a way to do that, but its not easy on my Garmin. I think Google Maps is better at this....
- I also like the ability to zoom in or out - to see more of the map than just the immediate direction.
- Get one with a big screen! Although you should have it on Voice when driving, because GPS do fall under the distracted driving rules!
- Mine came with a car charger with a REALLY long cord on it. That was great, because when you put the GPS on the display unit (on the window using the suction cup thing) or the dash, I found that the charger cords are not long enough.
- I got my GPS at Canadian Tire for $150 - $200, I think...I think that's a fairly standard price, and I just waited for one to come on sale.

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

North American Agriculture Leaders Back USMCA and Long-Term Trade Stability

Agriculture leaders from across North America have renewed their commitment to maintaining predictable trade rules and strengthening cooperation on animal health, plant protection and rural development.

BASF Appoints Leta LaRush to Lead U.S. Ag Business Amid Major Restructuring

BASF Agricultural Solutions has unveiled a new organizational structure aimed at improving customer responsiveness and supporting its transition toward operating as an independent business.

Canada's Productivity Mega Deduction Could Fuel New Farm and Ag-Tech Investment

The federal government says its new Productivity Mega Deduction represents one of the most significant tax changes in decades, expanding immediate write-offs for business investments.

Agtech innovators to share validation insights at Agriculture Enlightened 2026

Testing and validating new technologies is an essential part of scaling an agtech business. This work being done at EMILI’s Innovation Farms and AIVA Network’s Validation Hubs helps innovators commercialize their products and increases the adoption of their solutions.  During Agriculture Enlightened, Canada’s Agtech Conference, hear from Marcel Kringe, founder and CEO of BranValt, and Katie Friesen, founder and CEO of FarmerTitan, about their experience validating their technologies through the AIVA Network this season. The pair will be joined by Peter Frey, CEO of Spade Technologies, and Darren Anderson, CEO of Vive Crop Protection for a discussion around what they have learned through the validation process in this panel moderated by Chelsea Platzke, board chair of BioTalent.  Marcel Kringe grew up on a family farm in Germany, where he pursued an ag engineering degree. Work and travel studies in Canada, Russia and Brazil led him to move to Canada. He learned English on the go while

Selling grain to an unlicensed buyer: Approval and sampling requirements

Before selling grain to an unlicensed buyer, producers with AFSC production insurance should understand the requirements that apply and the steps they need to take to protect their coverage. Agriculture Financial Services (AFSC) defines a licensed buyer as a grain buyer licensed by the Canadian Grain Commission (CGC) as either a primary elevator or terminal elevator. AFSC only accepts receipted grades on sales from buyers holding one of these licence types. The Commission offers several classes of licences, each with different requirements. Primary and terminal elevator are the only licence classes required to sample grain upon receipt and resolve grade and dockage issues through the CGC. If grain is sold to a grain dealer, private buyer or process elevator before a post-harvest inspection is completed, AFSC may use the client’s samples. However, clients must contact their preferred branch office before moving any grain and obtain approval to collect samples for grading purposes. I

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service