Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Hi Everyone

 

Just returned from a 3 day trip and once again I am aggravated by my poor map reading/navigation.

 

I'm thinking about getting one of those gps for the car. What do I need to know. Heard Garmin is the best. Any suggestions appreciated.

Views: 395

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a Tom Tom and love it. I find it to be very user friendly.
I have a Garmin, its great but sometimes takes you out of your way. I have done a few experiments while traveling to a known destination. I input the destination data into my Garmin just to see what way it would take me. More often then not it chooses a route I normally would never take. I think most GPS systems are like this, think they choose the main highways. Just remember to update your GPS, this is easily done on the GPS makers website. I have heard that Tom Tom and Garmin are the best so either way you will have a good system.
I don't have one...are they easy to use? Also how much is a good one?
I have a Tom Tom. Its great. It also allows you to correct any errors on the maps, and pickup corrections made by others, when you sync online. Lots of options to plan your route: shortest distance, shortest time, etc.
If you have a smartphone(blackberry or equiv.) with GPS built in(most newer phones do), download google maps for free.
I have a Garmin...I like it, but here are some ideas for you:

- I like my Garmin because it allows me to categorize Favourite destinations....You can group them for Personal, Business, Kid Stuff, specific trips, whatever categories you choose. It makes it easier to find them later.
- Rural locations are sometimes tough because you often need the new Municipality name, not the old township or mailing address. Maybe some of the other GPS units are better at this, I dont know.
- You can set it to avoid gravel roads (or in our case, stick to them!). What I havent found it able to do is exclude No Winter Maintenance roads....
- One thing I havent been able to figure out easily is to have a north arrow on the screen. Unlike a map, the GPS tells you which way to turn, left or right, but it doesnt tell me which Im currently going! With a map, you can always orient yourself when you get to an intersection. I finally found a way to do that, but its not easy on my Garmin. I think Google Maps is better at this....
- I also like the ability to zoom in or out - to see more of the map than just the immediate direction.
- Get one with a big screen! Although you should have it on Voice when driving, because GPS do fall under the distracted driving rules!
- Mine came with a car charger with a REALLY long cord on it. That was great, because when you put the GPS on the display unit (on the window using the suction cup thing) or the dash, I found that the charger cords are not long enough.
- I got my GPS at Canadian Tire for $150 - $200, I think...I think that's a fairly standard price, and I just waited for one to come on sale.

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Canadian Beef Check-Off Agency Scholarship Winner

The Canadian Beef Cattle Check-Off Agency is pleased to announce that Ryan Trefiak of Edgerton, AB has been awarded the 2026 $2000 scholarship. Ryan is pursuing studies in Agricultural Systems Technologies at Iowa State University. This year’s judging panel noted they were impressed by the quality and dedication of all candidates, making the selection process a difficult one. Since its launch, the scholarship program has grown into one of the Agency’s most wide-reaching communications initiatives, connecting with students across the beef industry and helping support the next generation of leaders in Canadian agriculture. Congratulations, Ryan! We wish you continued success in your studies.

Field Week: Covering distance, literally and academically

There is only so much environmental science that can be learned in a classroom or science lab. Field experience is woven throughout Lakeland College’s environmental sciences programs, with labs taking place in the natural spaces on and around campus throughout the year. Each year, however, that experience is intensified during Field Week. That’s when second-year environmental sciences students find themselves knee-deep in the river electrofishing, setting up and checking small mammal traps, deploying autonomous recording units, constructing bat houses, capturing, banding and releasing songbirds, reading soil profiles, touring mine sites and assessing wetlands. “I love the hands-on experience,” says Mackenzie Hamm, a second-year environmental sciences student majoring in wildlife and fisheries conservation. “We’ve got to learn quite a few different things. It really brings into context what we’re learning in the classroom, so I can actually apply all of that theory that we’ve been doi

Growing the future: Judy Sweet invests in Lakeland’s ag students

Judy Sweet is continuing her longstanding support of Lakeland College agricultural sciences students by investing in the Student-Managed Farm (SMF) Lab Revitalization project. Sweet’s gift will support upgrades to the calving barn on the Vermilion campus farm, enhancing agricultural teaching, applied research, animal care and industry collaboration. The improvements will also strengthen facility functionality, sustainability and long-term operational capacity. “Judy Sweet’s generosity is an investment in the future of agriculture and in the students who will lead it,” says Dr. Alice Wainwright-Stewart, president and CEO of Lakeland College. “Her continued support of Lakeland’s Student-Managed Farm helps us provide the modern facilities and hands-on learning experiences our students need to put their education into action. This gift will strengthen animal care, help advance applied research and prepare graduates to make a meaningful impact in this essential industry. We are deeply gra

Canada could add $5.4B to GDP by processing more of its crops at home: EY

Canada could generate up to $5.4 billion in additional GDP and support approximately 34,000 full-time-equivalent jobs by redirecting just 10 per cent of its raw crop exports to value-added processing here at home, according to new EY analysis released today by Protein Industries Canada. The findings come as the federal government has made domestic food processing a national priority through its National Food Security Strategy. The strategy calls for Canada to reduce its dependence on other countries by processing more of the food it grows and sets an explicit objective to increase domestic processing to strengthen self-sufficiency and drive economic growth. Canada already has an extraordinary foundation to build from. Its food and agriculture sector contributed $149.2 billion to GDP in 2024 and supported 2.3 million jobs, while Canada remains a leading producer of major crops including wheat, canola and corn. But too often, Canadian crops leave the country before the higher-value pro

Thiesse, Parman discuss farm economy, tight margins at Big Iron

Live from the Big Iron Farm and Construction Show on Wednesday, Sept. 16, Kent Thiesse, farm management analyst, and Bryon Parman, NDSU farm management specialist, joined the Red River Farm Network’s “Issues and Events Center” to discuss the farm economy and the tight margins farmers are dealing with. The conversation kicked off with both guests discussing their concerns when it comes to farm balance sheets heading into 2027. “I think there’s certainly some positivity out there in the markets,” Thiesse said. “We’ve seen a runup in both corn and soybean prices, even wheat prices. Unfortunately, we’ve also seen a runup in input costs, as well. Fertilizer costs a year ago at this time were a big concern. They’ve kind of leveled out, but they haven’t really come down much. “As we look forward and start running the pencil for next year, even with higher commodity prices, we’re maybe breakeven on soybeans and we’re in the red with corn based on the numbers I’ve looked at. We’re facing som

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service