Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Hi Everyone

 

Just returned from a 3 day trip and once again I am aggravated by my poor map reading/navigation.

 

I'm thinking about getting one of those gps for the car. What do I need to know. Heard Garmin is the best. Any suggestions appreciated.

Views: 396

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a Tom Tom and love it. I find it to be very user friendly.
I have a Garmin, its great but sometimes takes you out of your way. I have done a few experiments while traveling to a known destination. I input the destination data into my Garmin just to see what way it would take me. More often then not it chooses a route I normally would never take. I think most GPS systems are like this, think they choose the main highways. Just remember to update your GPS, this is easily done on the GPS makers website. I have heard that Tom Tom and Garmin are the best so either way you will have a good system.
I don't have one...are they easy to use? Also how much is a good one?
I have a Tom Tom. Its great. It also allows you to correct any errors on the maps, and pickup corrections made by others, when you sync online. Lots of options to plan your route: shortest distance, shortest time, etc.
If you have a smartphone(blackberry or equiv.) with GPS built in(most newer phones do), download google maps for free.
I have a Garmin...I like it, but here are some ideas for you:

- I like my Garmin because it allows me to categorize Favourite destinations....You can group them for Personal, Business, Kid Stuff, specific trips, whatever categories you choose. It makes it easier to find them later.
- Rural locations are sometimes tough because you often need the new Municipality name, not the old township or mailing address. Maybe some of the other GPS units are better at this, I dont know.
- You can set it to avoid gravel roads (or in our case, stick to them!). What I havent found it able to do is exclude No Winter Maintenance roads....
- One thing I havent been able to figure out easily is to have a north arrow on the screen. Unlike a map, the GPS tells you which way to turn, left or right, but it doesnt tell me which Im currently going! With a map, you can always orient yourself when you get to an intersection. I finally found a way to do that, but its not easy on my Garmin. I think Google Maps is better at this....
- I also like the ability to zoom in or out - to see more of the map than just the immediate direction.
- Get one with a big screen! Although you should have it on Voice when driving, because GPS do fall under the distracted driving rules!
- Mine came with a car charger with a REALLY long cord on it. That was great, because when you put the GPS on the display unit (on the window using the suction cup thing) or the dash, I found that the charger cords are not long enough.
- I got my GPS at Canadian Tire for $150 - $200, I think...I think that's a fairly standard price, and I just waited for one to come on sale.

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Farmland Demand Strong in Alberta, Not so for the Rest of Canada

Canadian farmland values continued to climb in the first half of 2026, but growth slowed as producers faced tighter margins, higher costs, and ongoing trade uncertainty.

Canadian Ethanol Industry Pushes Ottawa to Act as U.S. Imports Gain Market Share

Canada's ethanol sector is pressing Ottawa to move quickly on long-promised Clean Fuel Regulations reforms. Industry leaders warn that without a stronger incentive for domestic production.

Nortera Green Giant Deal Called Off

Canada’s Competition Bureau has welcomed the decision by Nortera and B&G Foods Canada to abandon a proposed acquisition involving major vegetable brands. The Bureau said the deal could have reduced competition, leading to higher prices and fewer choices for consumers.

Ontario Meat Awards Crown Top Processors

Ontario’s top meat processors were honoured at the 2026 Ontario’s Finest Meat Competition, recognizing outstanding quality, innovation and craftsmanship.

What Would Make Seed Potato Testing Work Better for Alberta Growers?

An accredited Alberta laboratory is asking growers and industry partners to help shape a seed potato testing process that is practical, accessible, and sustainable for the long term. When 20/20 Seed Labs developed its Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)-approved seed potato testing capacity in Nisku, the opportunity seemed straightforward: Alberta growers would have access to an accredited laboratory closer to home. Before this service was established, Alberta potato growers often had to ship samples out of province — in some cases as far away as Prince Edward Island — for testing. Establishing testing capacity in Alberta made sense for growers, the industry, and the broader goal of building local agricultural services. But proximity is only one factor in a grower’s decision about testing, says Sarah Foster, President and Senior Seed Analyst at 20/20. “A grower managing multiple varieties and seed lots must consider the cost of each test, how samples are collected and shipped, h

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service