Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Hi Everyone

 

Just returned from a 3 day trip and once again I am aggravated by my poor map reading/navigation.

 

I'm thinking about getting one of those gps for the car. What do I need to know. Heard Garmin is the best. Any suggestions appreciated.

Views: 397

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a Tom Tom and love it. I find it to be very user friendly.
I have a Garmin, its great but sometimes takes you out of your way. I have done a few experiments while traveling to a known destination. I input the destination data into my Garmin just to see what way it would take me. More often then not it chooses a route I normally would never take. I think most GPS systems are like this, think they choose the main highways. Just remember to update your GPS, this is easily done on the GPS makers website. I have heard that Tom Tom and Garmin are the best so either way you will have a good system.
I don't have one...are they easy to use? Also how much is a good one?
I have a Tom Tom. Its great. It also allows you to correct any errors on the maps, and pickup corrections made by others, when you sync online. Lots of options to plan your route: shortest distance, shortest time, etc.
If you have a smartphone(blackberry or equiv.) with GPS built in(most newer phones do), download google maps for free.
I have a Garmin...I like it, but here are some ideas for you:

- I like my Garmin because it allows me to categorize Favourite destinations....You can group them for Personal, Business, Kid Stuff, specific trips, whatever categories you choose. It makes it easier to find them later.
- Rural locations are sometimes tough because you often need the new Municipality name, not the old township or mailing address. Maybe some of the other GPS units are better at this, I dont know.
- You can set it to avoid gravel roads (or in our case, stick to them!). What I havent found it able to do is exclude No Winter Maintenance roads....
- One thing I havent been able to figure out easily is to have a north arrow on the screen. Unlike a map, the GPS tells you which way to turn, left or right, but it doesnt tell me which Im currently going! With a map, you can always orient yourself when you get to an intersection. I finally found a way to do that, but its not easy on my Garmin. I think Google Maps is better at this....
- I also like the ability to zoom in or out - to see more of the map than just the immediate direction.
- Get one with a big screen! Although you should have it on Voice when driving, because GPS do fall under the distracted driving rules!
- Mine came with a car charger with a REALLY long cord on it. That was great, because when you put the GPS on the display unit (on the window using the suction cup thing) or the dash, I found that the charger cords are not long enough.
- I got my GPS at Canadian Tire for $150 - $200, I think...I think that's a fairly standard price, and I just waited for one to come on sale.

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Small Plane Crashes Near Fergus Into a Corn Field

A small general aviation aircraft crashed into a corn field north of Fergus, Ontario, on October 9, catching fire and triggering a major emergency response.

Western Canada’s Premier Fall Livestock Showcase

Manitoba AG EX is the province’s largest all-breeds cattle show. Drawing top breeders, livestock exhibitors, and industry leaders from across Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta. Held each fall in Brandon, Manitoba AG EX is more than just a cattle show, it’s a celebration of agricultural excellence, youth development, and community learning. With high-level competition in purebred livestock, interactive learning experiences for youth, and the return of crowd-favourite attractions like MooMania and EweMania, AG EX offers something for everyone. Highlights include the Little Lady Classic, Jackpot Bull Show, Junior Show and Showmanship, and the prestigious Supreme Breed Extravaganza, where breed champions go head-to-head for the title before advancing to the Canadian Western Agribition in Regina.

FCC Ag Summit in Winnipeg

Ideas to inspire. Insights to act. Looking to level up your farm business? Join us at the FCC Ag Summit, a series of free, one-day events to help Canadian producers like you strengthen the business side of your operations and prepare for what’s ahead. Have fun as industry experts share their latest findings and best practices. From technology and artificial intelligence to leadership, succession, workplace culture and the future of Canadian agriculture, the agenda is built to deliver value for farms of all sizes and stages. Bring your family, your management team or anyone involved in the decisions that shape your operation. Leave with practical takeaways and new connections to support your next steps.

Crop Report – October 6, 2026

Upcoming Events & News  • CropTalk Webinar: Marketing the 2026 Crop, Wednesday, October 7 at 9  am  • Get the print version of Seed Manitoba delivered directly to your door! Sign up for the print edition and/or the Seed Manitoba newsletter here: https://seedmb.ca/subscribe/   Weather Report   • Rain this week brought variable precipitation accumulations across Manitoba.  Southern regions along the US border in the East and Central regions received between 5 and 30 mm of rain. The Interlake and  Northwest regions saw accumulations of less than 1 mm over the past seven days.  The highest accumulation of precipitation was at Gardenton with 32.9 mm. Climate normals for total accumulated precipitation from May 1 to October 4 range from 261 mm to 404 mm and are based on 30-year historical data. Since May 1, large areas of the Northwest and Southwest regions have  accumulated more than 380 mm of precipitation. Seasonal accumulations are above normal for most of the Northwest, Southwest, an

Navigating Change. Seeding For Success.

Mark your calendars — the CrossRoads Crop Conference is back January 26 & 27, 2027 at the DoubleTree by Hilton West Edmonton, bringing producers, industry leaders, and researchers together for a day and half of learning, networking, and inspiration. Producers can lock in early bird pricing of just $179 plus taxes and fees before December 31, 2026, making it easy to secure a spot at one of Western Canada's premier agriculture events. Highlights of the 2027 CrossRoads Conference include: Keynote presentations from Damian Mason, respected agri-food leader; Mark Redmond with D’Arcy Hilgartner, speaking on the importance of research to producers; and Gitane De Silva, public policy leader. Expert sessions covering the latest in agronomy, farm business management, and ag technology. Networking Lounge & Industry Mixer networking opportunities with producers, researchers, and industry partners. Annual General Meetings hosted by Alberta Grains, Alberta Pulse Growers, and Alberta Canola Produc

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service