Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

After hearing that both levels of government want to do more meetings and discuss the future of agriculture in Canada I wonder if it is time to bring all non supply managed farmers and their elected officials together for a major rally to get the point accross that wait and see is not an answer and we need results now. Is this a good idea and if so how do we get the ball rolling.

Views: 552

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tom Murray said:
JoAnne Caughill said:
I agree with John that it is the Provincial Government that needs to help us out right away to save this Industry. However I would not let the Federal Government off the hook so quickly. They have AgriStability which (even though Gerry thinks it does) IS NOT working for producers. His 80% satisfaction rating has to be many years old. They need to fix this program. Sheila Frasier, Auditor General has spoke severely against this program and it's ability to work as it should as outlined in the Farm Income Protection Act. We need to take Gerry to task on this program and make it stand up to their (Government's) own test of FIPA.

I think we need a MAJOR protest - and yes as pointed out in another email - it would be great if all Provinces could agree to protest together on the same dates. Anyone interested in this from other provinces can contact me through this chat forum. Let's work together.
To pull off a major rally, there needs to be more than a grass roots revolt....there needs to be organization and lots of communication...where are ofa and cfa on this? they have the time and ability...do we need to push them into action?
It is not wether we need to push them but how we push them. I do not think they are listening and understanding how bad things really are or they would be organizing something already.
RoadRunner

I see you asking where the OFA is and why they have not been organizing rallies. As a vice president in the Bruce County federation of Agriculture I am going to turn the question around and ask where have the members been? OFA has been asking for the RMP and other programs and changes. We have not been getting much response from Government to our requests. We know things have to change BUT we are not seeing much from our members. Last fall at our county annual meeting ( with almost 1400 members in the county) we had 70 people out, about 1/2 were directors and spouses, plus media and politicians, hardly any regular members. There were NO resolutions presented for us to do anything different and I think the hog and beef sectors were in trouble last fall too. We always make our monthly board meetings open to members, and we never have any come. If you want to push OFA to do more you have to show up. Go to your county meeting and ask them to do more. Better yet take 25 of your neighbours with you. If 5 or 6 regional directors go to the next OFA board meeting and say they each had 50 or 100 members out to the last county board meetings demanding rallies/protests etc then more is likely to happen.

The leadership of OFA can't do everything for the members without some help. Our county can't even fill all the township director chairs, and most of us have off farm work besides, so we need more help. If you want to provide it, we will accept.
Do you think that there might be to many orginizations. I belong to several and the same message is being put out but like you say not enough people coming forward at each groups meetings. Maybe we need less groups working for us in order to have a united voice. I wonder if one orginization stepped up and really started to push how many people would come out. I feel most people do not bother because they see it is a slow process and of little value. One load group seems to work in places in Europe as well as in Quebec.

John Gillespie said:
RoadRunner

I see you asking where the OFA is and why they have not been organizing rallies. As a vice president in the Bruce County federation of Agriculture I am going to turn the question around and ask where have the members been? OFA has been asking for the RMP and other programs and changes. We have not been getting much response from Government to our requests. We know things have to change BUT we are not seeing much from our members. Last fall at our county annual meeting ( with almost 1400 members in the county) we had 70 people out, about 1/2 were directors and spouses, plus media and politicians, hardly any regular members. There were NO resolutions presented for us to do anything different and I think the hog and beef sectors were in trouble last fall too. We always make our monthly board meetings open to members, and we never have any come. If you want to push OFA to do more you have to show up. Go to your county meeting and ask them to do more. Better yet take 25 of your neighbours with you. If 5 or 6 regional directors go to the next OFA board meeting and say they each had 50 or 100 members out to the last county board meetings demanding rallies/protests etc then more is likely to happen.

The leadership of OFA can't do everything for the members without some help. Our county can't even fill all the township director chairs, and most of us have off farm work besides, so we need more help. If you want to provide it, we will accept.
I have to agree with both Tom and roadrunner. Like who is the Bruce county federation of agriculture. When I start looking around there are way to many groups all trying to work towards helping agriculture but not unified enough with each other to make a difference. I have not been to my own cattlemens meeting for 15 years or more mainly to busy but I am going this year because everyones voice is important and now is the time to stand up or soon there will be nothing to stand up for.

Tom Murray said:
Do you think that there might be to many orginizations. I belong to several and the same message is being put out but like you say not enough people coming forward at each groups meetings. Maybe we need less groups working for us in order to have a united voice. I wonder if one orginization stepped up and really started to push how many people would come out. I feel most people do not bother because they see it is a slow process and of little value. One load group seems to work in places in Europe as well as in Quebec.

John Gillespie said:
RoadRunner

Well the BCFA is the local level of OFA. We deal with local issues, and act as a voice for members to interact with the provincial OFA.

I do agree there are too many groups, and that the Quebec model works much better, getting there is going to be an interesting process but some parts are starting (Grain Farmers).

The real question is if we do decide to become more active, (and rallies are just one option, a very concentrated lobby on MP/MPP's may be just as effective, if say every MP/MPP had a personal visit every day, and a call and fax every 15 minutes for 2 or 3 weeks) how many people are going to support us, and how many have just given up?
The real point is one of our leadership has to step up and tell us what needs to be done and tell it so that we get a huge majority on board. If not we might as well quit right now. I will support anything that is seen as helping the cause but I am sick of going to meetings that do not accomplish anything. The farm can no longer support my family so my wife and myself ( just like many others ) have found it necessary to work full time jobs and run the farm, how much time do we have to attend meetings that appear to be going no where......none

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Premier Weighs In On Potential Strikes At Both CN And CPKC

Close to 10 thousand workers with CN and CPKC were planning to hit the bricks next Wednesday if the companies didn't deal with their concerns. The number one issue, according to the Teamsters is an adequate amount of rest time between shifts. It's possible, a strike won't happen next Wednesday. That's because the federal labour minster asked the Canada Industrial relations board to study the impact of a strike and whether it could lead to safety concerns. Until the board makes a ruling, a strike can't happen. There's no timeline for the board to issue a decision, it could tomorrow,.it could happen next month. The Teamsters says it will abide by that. This week, Premier Danielle Smith said while she appreciated the federal government intervened by asking for this report, she says the government must ensure there is a lasting solution to this dispute. Andre Harpe with the Grain Growers made it clear, the impact of a strike by both railways at the same time right in the middle of seedin

Ottawa Announces $9.6 Million for ASF Prevention, Preparedness

The federal government on Friday announced a multi-million dollar investment in African Swine Fever prevention and preparedness. The more than $9.6 million in funding will support 29 African Swine Fever Industry Preparedness Program (ASFIPP) projects in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, Ottawa said in a release. The money will be earmarked for ASF research, improved biosecurity measures, wild pig management activities, retrofits of existing abattoirs, and regional preparation for the welfare depopulation and disposal of healthy hogs. Funding will also go toward sector analysis, engagement and education tools, and ensuring the domestic hog sector is prepared should a case of ASF be detected. “This initiative, and its proactive approach, underscores our commitment to invest in advanced technologies, rigorous training, and collaborative partnerships to fortify our defenses against African Swine Fever and other potential threats,”

‘Important Share’ of Soy Production from Flood-Impacted Brazilian State to be Lost: USDA FAS

Unprecedented flooding in the southern Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Sul could take a hefty toll on country’s total expected 2023-24 soybean production, says a new report from the USDA’s Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS). Released Thursday, the report – which is based on estimates from the Association of Technical and Rural Extension Enterprises of Rio Grande do Sul (EMATER/RS) - said the afflicted state was poised to harvest a total soybean crop of 22.3 million tonnes, a new record high. But with the harvest only about three-quarters complete by the time the floods hit in late April, that left approximately 5.3 million tonnes of crop still out in the field, representing over 20% of EMATER/RS’s output estimate for Rio Grande do Sul and up to 4% of Brazil’s forecasted national soybean production. Perhaps not all that production potential will be written off, but the report said market analysts agree that an ‘important share’ of the Rio Grande do Sul’s expected soybean output w

Alberta Seeding of Major Crops About One-Third Complete

Despite significant precipitation in parts of the province last week, Alberta producers still had about one-third of major crops in the ground as of Tuesday. The latest weekly crop report on Friday pegged the planting of major crops (spring wheat, oats, barley, canola, and dry peas) at 32.5% complete, up from around 16% the previous week, and ahead of the five- and 10-year averages of 28% and 27%, respectively. Seeding is the most advanced in the South Region at about 50% complete as of Tuesday, although that slightly lags the region’s five-year average of just over 51%. On the other hand, seeding in the Peace Region was nearly 41% done – far ahead of the five-year region average of 17%. The Central region was at 29.5% complete, up from the average of 28%, while the North East and North West were at 22% and 19%, compared to 18% and 17% on average. Across the province, an estimated 45% of the spring wheat crop was seeded, with barley at 33% and oats at 15%. The canola crop was 15%

East Gen Launches Registration For 2024 Atlantic Showcase

With over 30 years of success in Atlantic Canada, the East Gen Showcase is scheduled for the Exhibition Grounds in Bible Hill, for July 2-4, 2024.  Registration is now open, and we are excited to welcome dairy and beef participants for three days of learning, friendships, and showing cattle.

© 2024   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service