Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

For many years I spent my summers, filling 3 freezers with foods directly grown in our own soil.  What wasn't frozen was preserved.  Potatoes and carrots and onions were put in the root house to keep all winter.  When I cooked meals I knew there would be flaours in the food.

Sadly, because times do change, I am forced to purchase produce in the stores. 

So I ask the question, Where Has The Flavour Gone?  Tomatoes are in the stores, half ripe, and even if you let them set for a week they are tasteless and tough.  Potatoes are a disaster.  They are nothing more than fillers.  Onions, used to bring the tears immediately to a person's eyes.  On occasion you get an onion that will bring a slight watering, but I repeat only slight. 

I try to purchase Ontario produce.  It doesn't matter what store, it's all the same.  I often buy from roadside stands.  Same thing----no flavour.

Is the soil depleted?  Is it the very seeds themselves, which have had the good bred out of them?   Have our vegetables become just a fillers?  Is this why so many spices are being used in foods?I know my conversation thread will offend some, but I am serious and I find it alarming as our Ontario farmers compete with USA and other countries.  How can we return to good old fashioned Ontario farm produce that was second to none? 

Frances

Views: 676

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wouldn't it be wonderful if one of the grocery chains would open up a section of the produce counter for vegetables grown from "Heritage Sees" and "Tubers"? If nothing else it would be an exercise to see which produce appealed to the majority of shoppers, whether they be rural or urban. Because many of todays young people have no idea what the flavour of a particular item such as a tomato should taste like, they do not visit famers markets and road-side stands.
Another classic example happened this week, when I was invited out for lunch to a private home. The frustrated young lady who was preparing a salad finally said to us "Can anybody tell me how to peel this tomato"? She ended up peeling it as you would a potato. It was the only way the skin would come from the tomato. Yet another time this week, at a restaurant I ordered a hamburg with all the trimmings. There was a full slice of tomato on the meat,and in the centre of the slice was the hard green core so common with today's variety and typical of what is being offered in the stores. The onion, was so bland, I hardly knew it was an onion. No flavour, no smell. Am I correct, that a few years ago there was a movement to produce onions without their distinct aroma. There is nothing like the smell of a good onion to give one an appetite. So I still ask Where Has All The Flavour Gone"---Is it the very seed itself which has been modified---is it the soil that is depleted----is there any hope of returning to our wonderful foods once grown? I fear the answer is no. It's a big world and our farmers are competeing and having to produce and harvest foods at a faster rate and in greater quantity. I also add, that nobody should feel offended when their is criticism given for a good cause.
It is hard to compete Taste for Taste with memories of meals/produce/onions in the past.....so the Good Old Days will likely never be beaten in this crazy world...

I do know that my Dad told me that during the Second World War, if they wanted fresh meat he had to go hunting and hopefully got a deer with the one bullet he had saved...rationing and they were poor on the farm. Only 70 years ago...

He also remembered the big treat at Christmas in the stocking was a navel orange from Florida...they were a real treat...

I agree with you that fresh produce, picked from our large garden...ripened on the vine or fresh corn off the stalk and boiled is hard to beat....

I do think that maybe flavour is the price we pay for our abundance and variety of food at ridiculously low prices.

Good discussion....

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Small Plane Crashes Near Fergus Into a Corn Field

A small general aviation aircraft crashed into a corn field north of Fergus, Ontario, on October 9, catching fire and triggering a major emergency response.

Western Canada’s Premier Fall Livestock Showcase

Manitoba AG EX is the province’s largest all-breeds cattle show. Drawing top breeders, livestock exhibitors, and industry leaders from across Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta. Held each fall in Brandon, Manitoba AG EX is more than just a cattle show, it’s a celebration of agricultural excellence, youth development, and community learning. With high-level competition in purebred livestock, interactive learning experiences for youth, and the return of crowd-favourite attractions like MooMania and EweMania, AG EX offers something for everyone. Highlights include the Little Lady Classic, Jackpot Bull Show, Junior Show and Showmanship, and the prestigious Supreme Breed Extravaganza, where breed champions go head-to-head for the title before advancing to the Canadian Western Agribition in Regina.

FCC Ag Summit in Winnipeg

Ideas to inspire. Insights to act. Looking to level up your farm business? Join us at the FCC Ag Summit, a series of free, one-day events to help Canadian producers like you strengthen the business side of your operations and prepare for what’s ahead. Have fun as industry experts share their latest findings and best practices. From technology and artificial intelligence to leadership, succession, workplace culture and the future of Canadian agriculture, the agenda is built to deliver value for farms of all sizes and stages. Bring your family, your management team or anyone involved in the decisions that shape your operation. Leave with practical takeaways and new connections to support your next steps.

Crop Report – October 6, 2026

Upcoming Events & News  • CropTalk Webinar: Marketing the 2026 Crop, Wednesday, October 7 at 9  am  • Get the print version of Seed Manitoba delivered directly to your door! Sign up for the print edition and/or the Seed Manitoba newsletter here: https://seedmb.ca/subscribe/   Weather Report   • Rain this week brought variable precipitation accumulations across Manitoba.  Southern regions along the US border in the East and Central regions received between 5 and 30 mm of rain. The Interlake and  Northwest regions saw accumulations of less than 1 mm over the past seven days.  The highest accumulation of precipitation was at Gardenton with 32.9 mm. Climate normals for total accumulated precipitation from May 1 to October 4 range from 261 mm to 404 mm and are based on 30-year historical data. Since May 1, large areas of the Northwest and Southwest regions have  accumulated more than 380 mm of precipitation. Seasonal accumulations are above normal for most of the Northwest, Southwest, an

Navigating Change. Seeding For Success.

Mark your calendars — the CrossRoads Crop Conference is back January 26 & 27, 2027 at the DoubleTree by Hilton West Edmonton, bringing producers, industry leaders, and researchers together for a day and half of learning, networking, and inspiration. Producers can lock in early bird pricing of just $179 plus taxes and fees before December 31, 2026, making it easy to secure a spot at one of Western Canada's premier agriculture events. Highlights of the 2027 CrossRoads Conference include: Keynote presentations from Damian Mason, respected agri-food leader; Mark Redmond with D’Arcy Hilgartner, speaking on the importance of research to producers; and Gitane De Silva, public policy leader. Expert sessions covering the latest in agronomy, farm business management, and ag technology. Networking Lounge & Industry Mixer networking opportunities with producers, researchers, and industry partners. Annual General Meetings hosted by Alberta Grains, Alberta Pulse Growers, and Alberta Canola Produc

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service