Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Spent the afternoon specing out computers on Dell's website. Replacing an old Gateway desktop. Undecided which way would be better. Looking at an Inspiron 560 desktop with 20" monitor with 6g ram or inspiron 1545 laptop with 4g ram. Everything else is very similar specs. We have dsl and Lynksys wireless router. Currently also have another Dell desktop and kids have a Dell laptop. The Gateway desktop has been our main computer and where the dsl is connected. WE are using an hp printer that is connected to the desktop but would like to connect it through the wireless to all the computers. Should I replace the desktop with another or would I be ok with a good laptop? Kinda on the fence here. TIA.

Views: 185

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

since either one would probably do the job for you, buy the one that would fit your workspace, and you would find easiest to see (the monitor) and to use (the keyboard) Most machines come with built in wireless capabilities these days, so its just plug and play. I like my laptop because of its portability, but when I am doing my books, I like the number pad on the desktop. Of course you can hook an ordinary keyboard up to a laptop, which I should do next time I'm number crunching. After awhile, I don't find the battery lasts very long, so dreams of number crunching under the shade of the big maple haven't really materialized.
I'd go laptop, less space on the desk, portable and unless you want to hook up all the fancy things too it like a gaming computer or something, in my opinion a laptop these days are just as good as a bulky desktop.
Originally I would say depends on what the purpose is. In my situation I need a desktop since the laptop has a screen that is much smaller than my current 24" and it is cheaper to replace parts or upgrade a desktop internally. I like to have multiple windows open at one time so the big screen is handy.
On the other hand I now have a PDA. I will never buy a laptop now. For the price of a decent laptop I can get a killer desktop and a good PDA. I rarely use the desktop since my PDA goes everywhere with me (fits in my pocket). It also syncs with my desktop wirelessly so you still need the wireless network.
Hi Guys:

I decided to go the laptop route...pretty inexpensive and with the wireless internet...pretty convenient.

Thanks for the feedback.
The laptop is becoming pretty inexpensive so that is likely a good choice for most people.
I think if you are using a computer to storage valuable data - accounting or production records - you may want to have a desk top...it is less likely to be lost, dropped etc. If you are good at backing up your important files to a disk then you may be ok with a laptop.
A laptop with wireless is a good way to go and should make it easier to do work with the computer...you are not tied down to the office desk.
One of my friends who farms alot of acres is looking at a laptop with a Cellular internet access so he will be connected in the pickup or tractor cab.

Joe

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

How Much of Your Thanksgiving Dinner Reaches Canadian Farmers?

As Canadians prepare Thanksgiving meals, many wonder how much of their grocery bill goes back to the farm.

A Thanksgiving meal from Canadian farmers

Each province’s ag sector would contribute a different ingredient

Manitoba Crop Alliance announces results of 2026 crop committee delegate nominations

Manitoba Crop Alliance (MCA) is pleased to announce the results of the nomination process for delegate positions on its four crop committees. The nomination period ran from July 1 to Oct. 1, 2026. In total, 15 farmer members were nominated for the 17 available delegate positions across the four crop committees and are thereby elected by acclamation. Among those 15 delegates, four are new to their respective committees and 11 are incumbents. “Our crop committees provide a strong voice for each crop type we represent, while also creating opportunities for collaboration and a cross-commodity approach to the issues all farmers face,” says MCA CEO Pam de Rocquigny. “I would like to thank all the MCA farmer members who let their names stand for nomination and I look forward to seeing how they will help guide the direction of our industry.” Corn: Doug Martin (East Selkirk), Jonothan Hodson (Lenore), Warren McCutcheon (Carman) and Joel Doerksen (MacGregor) were nominated for the four avail

We’re Hiring an Agronomy Assistant for the 2027 Growing Season!

Manitoba Pulse & Soybean Growers’ On-Farm Network is looking for an Agronomy Assistant for a 4-month term in the 2027 growing season! We’re looking for a post-secondary student in Agriculture or a related discipline with strong communication skills, familiarity with prairie crop production and a valid Manitoba driver’s license. You can gain hands-on experience in: Field-scale research and data collection Pest surveillance, crop scouting and reporting field observations Conducting a personal research project The position is based in Carman, MB but job responsibilities take place across agro-Manitoba. We offer: Competitive wages Opportunity to receive a performance bonus Student-friendly working environment

Historic Yorkton Brick Flour Mill Opens Interpretive Centre Strengthening Cultural Tourism to Share Saskatchewan's Agricultural Story

Saskatchewan's oldest remaining brick flour mill is the province's newest cultural tourism destination, sharing the province's rich agricultural heritage with residents and visitors. Supported in part through a $600,000 investment from the Government of Saskatchewan, the Yorkton Brick Flour Mill Interpretive Centre was officially opened yesterday as an educational hub, featuring artifacts, exhibits and displays that bring the region's agricultural history to life.   "This is an exciting day for the community of Yorkton and our province's tourism industry," Parks, Culture, Sport, Minister and Minister Responsible for Tourism Saskatchewan Alana Ross said. "This iconic landmark is a cherished part of Yorkton's history and Saskatchewan's agricultural heritage. It is an important part of our story that has been preserved through the extensive and ongoing efforts by the community, and our government is so pleased that we could join with them, provide support, and help the Society complete

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service