Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Spent the afternoon specing out computers on Dell's website. Replacing an old Gateway desktop. Undecided which way would be better. Looking at an Inspiron 560 desktop with 20" monitor with 6g ram or inspiron 1545 laptop with 4g ram. Everything else is very similar specs. We have dsl and Lynksys wireless router. Currently also have another Dell desktop and kids have a Dell laptop. The Gateway desktop has been our main computer and where the dsl is connected. WE are using an hp printer that is connected to the desktop but would like to connect it through the wireless to all the computers. Should I replace the desktop with another or would I be ok with a good laptop? Kinda on the fence here. TIA.

Views: 185

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

since either one would probably do the job for you, buy the one that would fit your workspace, and you would find easiest to see (the monitor) and to use (the keyboard) Most machines come with built in wireless capabilities these days, so its just plug and play. I like my laptop because of its portability, but when I am doing my books, I like the number pad on the desktop. Of course you can hook an ordinary keyboard up to a laptop, which I should do next time I'm number crunching. After awhile, I don't find the battery lasts very long, so dreams of number crunching under the shade of the big maple haven't really materialized.
I'd go laptop, less space on the desk, portable and unless you want to hook up all the fancy things too it like a gaming computer or something, in my opinion a laptop these days are just as good as a bulky desktop.
Originally I would say depends on what the purpose is. In my situation I need a desktop since the laptop has a screen that is much smaller than my current 24" and it is cheaper to replace parts or upgrade a desktop internally. I like to have multiple windows open at one time so the big screen is handy.
On the other hand I now have a PDA. I will never buy a laptop now. For the price of a decent laptop I can get a killer desktop and a good PDA. I rarely use the desktop since my PDA goes everywhere with me (fits in my pocket). It also syncs with my desktop wirelessly so you still need the wireless network.
Hi Guys:

I decided to go the laptop route...pretty inexpensive and with the wireless internet...pretty convenient.

Thanks for the feedback.
The laptop is becoming pretty inexpensive so that is likely a good choice for most people.
I think if you are using a computer to storage valuable data - accounting or production records - you may want to have a desk top...it is less likely to be lost, dropped etc. If you are good at backing up your important files to a disk then you may be ok with a laptop.
A laptop with wireless is a good way to go and should make it easier to do work with the computer...you are not tied down to the office desk.
One of my friends who farms alot of acres is looking at a laptop with a Cellular internet access so he will be connected in the pickup or tractor cab.

Joe

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Farmland Demand Strong in Alberta, Not so for the Rest of Canada

Canadian farmland values continued to climb in the first half of 2026, but growth slowed as producers faced tighter margins, higher costs, and ongoing trade uncertainty.

Canadian Ethanol Industry Pushes Ottawa to Act as U.S. Imports Gain Market Share

Canada's ethanol sector is pressing Ottawa to move quickly on long-promised Clean Fuel Regulations reforms. Industry leaders warn that without a stronger incentive for domestic production.

Nortera Green Giant Deal Called Off

Canada’s Competition Bureau has welcomed the decision by Nortera and B&G Foods Canada to abandon a proposed acquisition involving major vegetable brands. The Bureau said the deal could have reduced competition, leading to higher prices and fewer choices for consumers.

Ontario Meat Awards Crown Top Processors

Ontario’s top meat processors were honoured at the 2026 Ontario’s Finest Meat Competition, recognizing outstanding quality, innovation and craftsmanship.

What Would Make Seed Potato Testing Work Better for Alberta Growers?

An accredited Alberta laboratory is asking growers and industry partners to help shape a seed potato testing process that is practical, accessible, and sustainable for the long term. When 20/20 Seed Labs developed its Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)-approved seed potato testing capacity in Nisku, the opportunity seemed straightforward: Alberta growers would have access to an accredited laboratory closer to home. Before this service was established, Alberta potato growers often had to ship samples out of province — in some cases as far away as Prince Edward Island — for testing. Establishing testing capacity in Alberta made sense for growers, the industry, and the broader goal of building local agricultural services. But proximity is only one factor in a grower’s decision about testing, says Sarah Foster, President and Senior Seed Analyst at 20/20. “A grower managing multiple varieties and seed lots must consider the cost of each test, how samples are collected and shipped, h

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service