Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Earth Day is fast approaching us (Friday April 22) and I was curious to find out what other people in Ontario are doing to celebrate and if you celebrate or recognize this event at all.

 

I have been a huge fan of Earth Day since grade school, where we were all required to go outside for the afternoon and plant trees, help clean up garbage and learn how to tend gardens. It was so much fun and a great excuses to get dirty outside on school time. Now however I am not forced to by my teachers to go out and help the planet, and honestly I have missed it.

So I thought I would share of the ways I try and help the planet on a daily basis and maybe you can try them too! And what better way to get a kick start, then trying them out on Earth Day!!

 

ps: I'm hoping for great sunny weather tomorrow here, as I plan to plant a few trees and clean up some garbage around my town!
If your out taking pictures of your events tomorrow, I would love to see them!! I'll post mine and you should too :)

 

Mackenna's Favourite ways to Help the Planet!

1) Food Choices

- I try to buy local products that come from farmers in my area. The further my yummy summer corn has to travel the better it is for everyone!

 

2) Transportation

- I need a car. I live in the country and need to get to the city for school and work. So it is very unrealistic for me to tell you to not drive your car. But I do plan my trips carefully and try to go in to the city once to go to school, get my shopping done, go to the gym and what not. I also try and carpool with my family so we can have less of our cars on the road. It's a pretty easy way to help the environment and save on rising fuel prices.

 

3) Washing my Clothes

- I live on a farm so our barn clothes need to get washed a lot. Which uses valuable water and energy to run the washers and dryers. When possible I always try and hang my clothes to dry outside in the summer and in the basement in the winter. Not only do my clothes last longer, they have an amazing fresh summer scent that no dryer additive can create!

 

I look forward to your pictures, tips and thoughts on Earth Day from the people who take care and work off our Earth :)

 

Mackenna

Views: 104

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We spent some time walking in the woods appreciating nature.
Thanks

Thanks Mackenna,

Good points.

I have always like planting trees and will do so this spring.

My father always made sure we planted hundreds each spring and a wide range of species as well...I love seeing them years later as new forests take hold.

Joe

 

 

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

International Plowing Match 2026 Draws Largest Crowd Since Pandemic Return

The 2026 International Plowing Match and Rural Expo welcomed 71,330 visitors to Bruce County, delivering the strongest attendance since the event returned after the pandemic.

Ont. farmer thankful for doctor’s push for breast cancer screening

Sarah Wynn co-owns Wynn Farms in Greater Napanee

New AI Tools for Alberta Farmers

Alberta is funding seven genomics and AI projects that will help farmers improve livestock performance, manage crop diseases, protect pollinators, and strengthen antimicrobial resistance monitoring through practical data-driven tools.

Canola Meal Boosts Dairy Cow Performance

Research shows canola meals can help dairy producers increase milk production, improve protein efficiency, reduce waste, and support profitability when included in balanced rations.

Lallemand Donates $5,000 to Three Canadian Communities

Lallemand Plant Care awarded $5,000 through its 2026 Hometown Roots Contest to support local community projects across Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Alberta.

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service