Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Earth Day is fast approaching us (Friday April 22) and I was curious to find out what other people in Ontario are doing to celebrate and if you celebrate or recognize this event at all.

 

I have been a huge fan of Earth Day since grade school, where we were all required to go outside for the afternoon and plant trees, help clean up garbage and learn how to tend gardens. It was so much fun and a great excuses to get dirty outside on school time. Now however I am not forced to by my teachers to go out and help the planet, and honestly I have missed it.

So I thought I would share of the ways I try and help the planet on a daily basis and maybe you can try them too! And what better way to get a kick start, then trying them out on Earth Day!!

 

ps: I'm hoping for great sunny weather tomorrow here, as I plan to plant a few trees and clean up some garbage around my town!
If your out taking pictures of your events tomorrow, I would love to see them!! I'll post mine and you should too :)

 

Mackenna's Favourite ways to Help the Planet!

1) Food Choices

- I try to buy local products that come from farmers in my area. The further my yummy summer corn has to travel the better it is for everyone!

 

2) Transportation

- I need a car. I live in the country and need to get to the city for school and work. So it is very unrealistic for me to tell you to not drive your car. But I do plan my trips carefully and try to go in to the city once to go to school, get my shopping done, go to the gym and what not. I also try and carpool with my family so we can have less of our cars on the road. It's a pretty easy way to help the environment and save on rising fuel prices.

 

3) Washing my Clothes

- I live on a farm so our barn clothes need to get washed a lot. Which uses valuable water and energy to run the washers and dryers. When possible I always try and hang my clothes to dry outside in the summer and in the basement in the winter. Not only do my clothes last longer, they have an amazing fresh summer scent that no dryer additive can create!

 

I look forward to your pictures, tips and thoughts on Earth Day from the people who take care and work off our Earth :)

 

Mackenna

Views: 107

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We spent some time walking in the woods appreciating nature.
Thanks

Thanks Mackenna,

Good points.

I have always like planting trees and will do so this spring.

My father always made sure we planted hundreds each spring and a wide range of species as well...I love seeing them years later as new forests take hold.

Joe

 

 

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Small Plane Crashes Near Fergus Into a Corn Field

A small general aviation aircraft crashed into a corn field north of Fergus, Ontario, on October 9, catching fire and triggering a major emergency response.

Western Canada’s Premier Fall Livestock Showcase

Manitoba AG EX is the province’s largest all-breeds cattle show. Drawing top breeders, livestock exhibitors, and industry leaders from across Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta. Held each fall in Brandon, Manitoba AG EX is more than just a cattle show, it’s a celebration of agricultural excellence, youth development, and community learning. With high-level competition in purebred livestock, interactive learning experiences for youth, and the return of crowd-favourite attractions like MooMania and EweMania, AG EX offers something for everyone. Highlights include the Little Lady Classic, Jackpot Bull Show, Junior Show and Showmanship, and the prestigious Supreme Breed Extravaganza, where breed champions go head-to-head for the title before advancing to the Canadian Western Agribition in Regina.

FCC Ag Summit in Winnipeg

Ideas to inspire. Insights to act. Looking to level up your farm business? Join us at the FCC Ag Summit, a series of free, one-day events to help Canadian producers like you strengthen the business side of your operations and prepare for what’s ahead. Have fun as industry experts share their latest findings and best practices. From technology and artificial intelligence to leadership, succession, workplace culture and the future of Canadian agriculture, the agenda is built to deliver value for farms of all sizes and stages. Bring your family, your management team or anyone involved in the decisions that shape your operation. Leave with practical takeaways and new connections to support your next steps.

Crop Report – October 6, 2026

Upcoming Events & News  • CropTalk Webinar: Marketing the 2026 Crop, Wednesday, October 7 at 9  am  • Get the print version of Seed Manitoba delivered directly to your door! Sign up for the print edition and/or the Seed Manitoba newsletter here: https://seedmb.ca/subscribe/   Weather Report   • Rain this week brought variable precipitation accumulations across Manitoba.  Southern regions along the US border in the East and Central regions received between 5 and 30 mm of rain. The Interlake and  Northwest regions saw accumulations of less than 1 mm over the past seven days.  The highest accumulation of precipitation was at Gardenton with 32.9 mm. Climate normals for total accumulated precipitation from May 1 to October 4 range from 261 mm to 404 mm and are based on 30-year historical data. Since May 1, large areas of the Northwest and Southwest regions have  accumulated more than 380 mm of precipitation. Seasonal accumulations are above normal for most of the Northwest, Southwest, an

Navigating Change. Seeding For Success.

Mark your calendars — the CrossRoads Crop Conference is back January 26 & 27, 2027 at the DoubleTree by Hilton West Edmonton, bringing producers, industry leaders, and researchers together for a day and half of learning, networking, and inspiration. Producers can lock in early bird pricing of just $179 plus taxes and fees before December 31, 2026, making it easy to secure a spot at one of Western Canada's premier agriculture events. Highlights of the 2027 CrossRoads Conference include: Keynote presentations from Damian Mason, respected agri-food leader; Mark Redmond with D’Arcy Hilgartner, speaking on the importance of research to producers; and Gitane De Silva, public policy leader. Expert sessions covering the latest in agronomy, farm business management, and ag technology. Networking Lounge & Industry Mixer networking opportunities with producers, researchers, and industry partners. Annual General Meetings hosted by Alberta Grains, Alberta Pulse Growers, and Alberta Canola Produc

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service