Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Earth Day is fast approaching us (Friday April 22) and I was curious to find out what other people in Ontario are doing to celebrate and if you celebrate or recognize this event at all.

 

I have been a huge fan of Earth Day since grade school, where we were all required to go outside for the afternoon and plant trees, help clean up garbage and learn how to tend gardens. It was so much fun and a great excuses to get dirty outside on school time. Now however I am not forced to by my teachers to go out and help the planet, and honestly I have missed it.

So I thought I would share of the ways I try and help the planet on a daily basis and maybe you can try them too! And what better way to get a kick start, then trying them out on Earth Day!!

 

ps: I'm hoping for great sunny weather tomorrow here, as I plan to plant a few trees and clean up some garbage around my town!
If your out taking pictures of your events tomorrow, I would love to see them!! I'll post mine and you should too :)

 

Mackenna's Favourite ways to Help the Planet!

1) Food Choices

- I try to buy local products that come from farmers in my area. The further my yummy summer corn has to travel the better it is for everyone!

 

2) Transportation

- I need a car. I live in the country and need to get to the city for school and work. So it is very unrealistic for me to tell you to not drive your car. But I do plan my trips carefully and try to go in to the city once to go to school, get my shopping done, go to the gym and what not. I also try and carpool with my family so we can have less of our cars on the road. It's a pretty easy way to help the environment and save on rising fuel prices.

 

3) Washing my Clothes

- I live on a farm so our barn clothes need to get washed a lot. Which uses valuable water and energy to run the washers and dryers. When possible I always try and hang my clothes to dry outside in the summer and in the basement in the winter. Not only do my clothes last longer, they have an amazing fresh summer scent that no dryer additive can create!

 

I look forward to your pictures, tips and thoughts on Earth Day from the people who take care and work off our Earth :)

 

Mackenna

Views: 104

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We spent some time walking in the woods appreciating nature.
Thanks

Thanks Mackenna,

Good points.

I have always like planting trees and will do so this spring.

My father always made sure we planted hundreds each spring and a wide range of species as well...I love seeing them years later as new forests take hold.

Joe

 

 

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

BC farmers gearing up for collection of pesticides and livestock medications this Fall

This October, Vancouver Island and Fraser Valley farmers in BC are readying to participate in Cleanfarms’ longest running environmental stewardship initiative: the Unwanted Pesticides and Old Livestock/Equine Medications (UPLM) program. Operating on a rotating schedule year-over-year, this well-loved Canada-wide program helps farmers in BC (and in other regions) protect their land and communities by accepting unwanted commercial-class pesticides and obsolete livestock/equine medications for safe disposal, free of charge. This year in BC, there are eight single-day collection events from October 6 to October 16, operating 9AM to 4PM daily: four in the Fraser Valley and four on Vancouver Island, including a first-time event in Port Alberni. “The reach of this year’s events means even greater convenience to BC farmers,” says UPLM’s Program Coordinator Heather Bradley. “Greater program participation, combined with the promotional work of our agricultural retail and regional district par

U.S. Winter Wheat Planting, Emergence Lagging

U.S. winter wheat planting made decent progress this past week but continues to lag last year and the five-year average. Emergence is also running behind. According to Monday’s USDA crop progress, 27% of the American winter wheat crop was planted as Sunday, up 10 percentage points from a week earlier. That was below both the 32% planted at the same point last year and the 2021-25 average of 34%. Meanwhile, winter wheat emergence also increased nationally, with 8% of the crop emerged, up from 2% the previous week. That remained below 12% last year and the five-year average of 11%. Kansas planting advanced to 18% from 10% the previous week, compared with 16% last year and the five-year average of 24%. Oklahoma reached 7% planted, up from 4% a week earlier, but well behind 30% last year and the 25% average. Michigan moved to 18% planted from 14%, ahead of 15% last year and equal to the five-year average. No planting progress was reported for Ohio as of Sunday; the state was 10% p

FCC Economists Examine Trade, Interest Rates and Economic Risks Facing Agriculture

Farm Credit Canada is highlighting trade uncertainty, interest rates and broader financial conditions as key economic issues for Canadian farmers and agribusinesses through the remainder of 2026. In an economic update webinar released Tuesday, FCC’s economics team reviews the major economic and financial variables affecting farms, food and beverage manufacturers and agribusinesses, while providing its outlook for the months ahead. The 39-minute presentation features FCC chief economist Craig Johnston, principal economist Krishen Rangasamy and deputy chief economist Desmond Sobool. The update comes amid a challenging backdrop for the Canadian economy, including renewed U.S. trade barriers, geopolitical uncertainty and elevated borrowing costs. FCC has previously estimated Canadian economic growth at around 1% for 2026, with trade restrictions weighing on non-energy exports and contributing to weaker business conditions. Interest rates are another important consideration. Alth

Manitoba Harvest Passes Halfway Mark

The Manitoba harvest passed the halfway mark this past week, although rainfall, fog and heavy dews continued to limit fieldwork in several parts of the province. Tuesday’s weekly crop report showed the Manitoba harvest at 51% complete as of Monday, up from 43% a week earlier. The largest regional advance came in the Northwest, where overall harvest progress jumped to 40% from 24%. The Central region moved to 71% from 64%, the Eastern region to 66% from 62%, the Interlake to 59% from 56%, and the Southwest to 32% from 27%. Provincially, spring wheat harvest reached 77%, up from 71% a week earlier. Barley advanced to 81% from 76%, oats to 72% from 66%, and canola to 57% from 43%. Peas remained at 96% complete, while soybean harvest increased to 5% from 1%. Dry bean harvest doubled to 32% done. Quality concerns are becoming more prominent in later-harvested cereals, with sprouting, weathering, and bleaching causing downgrades in some areas, the report said. Canola yields are gener

Secretary Naig Welcomes Applications for Urban Water Quality Project Grants

Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Mike Naig today announced that the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship (IDALS) is accepting pre-applications for cost-share grants to support urban conservation and water quality projects. The locally led projects, available to Iowa communities of all sizes, support implementation of the Iowa Nutrient Reduction Strategy and are part of the state’s continued efforts to improve water quality. “Communities – big and small – have been putting proven conservation practices to work to improve water quality across Iowa since 2015,” said Secretary Naig. “From managing stormwater to reducing nutrient loss and protecting local waterways, these locally led projects help improve water quality and mitigate urban flooding. Many of these projects also become attractive community features that enhance quality of life. IDALS will continue working alongside communities to deliver cleaner water for Iowans because there is no finish line when it comes to cons

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service