Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

Farmer salaries up 35%! This Maclean's article should entice some young farmers into the industry..

Do you agree with these salary numbers? Could a new farmer earn as much as an established farmer? What do the earnings look like after you account for your land and equipment?

Would you advise someone to become a farmer as a career?

Nice gig that pays $$? Farmer.

by Erica Alini on Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Looking for a good gig that pays over 60K? Consider farming.

No, seriously. After a long period of stagnation, net farm incomes are rising. Net operating income for the average Canadian farm was over $65,000 in 2011, up a whopping 35 per cent from an average of roughly $42,000 between 2006 and 2010. Only in 1995, that figure was below $30,000:

Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, based on Statistics Canada figures and projections

“The economics of agriculture are coming back,” says Jeff Grubb, a Regina-based lawyer with expertise in agricultural law. “In the 1980s and 90s farm families needed to have some source of off-farm income,” at least in the prairies, recalls Grubb, who is himself the owner of a 700-acre farm. That’s less and less the case today, though, he says–courtesy of steadily climbing commodity prices and ever-larger farms.

Growing demand for food from emerging markets has pushed the prices of crops like rice to unprecedented highs in recent years. Of course, the appetites of a rising middle class in places like China are no guaranteethat commodity prices will keep going up in a straight line, but there’s reason to be optimistic nonetheless. A trend toward farm consolidation and bigger farms, for one, is another factor that’s making for better operating margins, as farm operators exploit economies of scale, notes Grubb.

Not convinced yet? Perhaps you need an update on what “working the land” looks like these days. If you pictured yourself living among the wheat fields, with your days ruled by a well-worn routine and nothing but dial-up Internet to connect you to the outside world, think again. With the average farm size at 778 acres, running a farm nowadays is as much about management and financial planning as it is about tractors and fertilizers. And in many cases, living on the farms is no longer required, says Grubb. In the prairies, many farm operators now live in urban centres and commute to work, he adds.

Add to this that the sector is in dire need of fresh blood. According to the latest Census of Agriculture, nearly half of all Canadian farmers are 55 and older, notes Grubb, who says he increasingly finds himself urging clients to think about succession planning. Though the number of Canadians farms has been decreasing since 1941 and dropped 10 per cent over the last five years alone, the number of young people entering the sector has been dropping even faster–with the result that folks under 35 made up less than 8.2 per cent of farm operators last year. With youth unemployment in Canada hovering around 14 per cent–nearly twice the national average–that alone should be enough to get some youngsters interested.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/05/23/nice-gig-that-pays-farmer/#.T75J...

Views: 1017

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As a 25 year old in the Agriculture sector, I would love to farm.  However, the up front costs to young farmers are overwhelming and impossible.  Farm incomes are rising, because small farms are being pushed out in favor of larger producers.  It takes money to make money.  So, no I am not enticed to become a career farmer and if someone advised me to become a farmer, I would explain how it would be finacially impossible.  Judging by the average annual income, my great great great grand children would be stuck with the burden of my debt.

I have a real problem in the way the article portrays the financial aspects of farm revenues/expenses. (conspicuously absent are capital purchases and the effects on cash flow.)

The eye-catching opening line states "Looking for a good gig that pays over 60K? Consider farming."

OK. Got my attention along with almost everyone else that glances over the article.  That line implies farmers have a good "gig" going that pays lavishly.

The article then jumps quickly to state "net farm incomes are rising."  

But the very next sentence states the net operating income jumped over 35% over a few short years.

The writer masterfully confuses "net farm income" and "net operating income" in a single paragraph leading people to believe there is no difference between the two.

Cash receipts -(minus) operating expenses = NET OPERATING INCOME + Income in kind - (minus) depreciation = Realized Net Income +/- VIC = TOTAL NET FARM INCOME.

The article, in my private opinion, appears to be very misleading..... either that... McLeans believe there are land fairies much in the same category as tooth fairies. ... and that would indeed get "some youngsters interested".

Well put Joann. I'd be curious to read some other farmers comment on their actual net farm income. I meet a lot of non farming folk who think farmers are well off, with all their recreational toys (4 wheelers, snowmobiles, etc). However, others would have us believe that the average farmers have had a negative income for years. So which is it?

I know we are just scraping by, making just enough to live off of; and by living, it is simple and frugal: no toys, no tropical vacations, eating what we grow, wearing second hand clothes, etc.... It's tough, especially given limited cash flow in the early spring, but I can say this, we are debt free. No debt at all!

How about everyone else? What is your reality?

Joann said:

I have a real problem in the way the article portrays the financial aspects of farm revenues/expenses. (conspicuously absent are capital purchases and the effects on cash flow.)

The eye-catching opening line states "Looking for a good gig that pays over 60K? Consider farming."

OK. Got my attention along with almost everyone else that glances over the article.  That line implies farmers have a good "gig" going that pays lavishly.

The article then jumps quickly to state "net farm incomes are rising."  

But the very next sentence states the net operating income jumped over 35% over a few short years.

The writer masterfully confuses "net farm income" and "net operating income" in a single paragraph leading people to believe there is no difference between the two.

Cash receipts -(minus) operating expenses = NET OPERATING INCOME + Income in kind - (minus) depreciation = Realized Net Income +/- VIC = TOTAL NET FARM INCOME.

The article, in my private opinion, appears to be very misleading..... either that... McLeans believe there are land fairies much in the same category as tooth fairies. ... and that would indeed get "some youngsters interested".

Hi Colin,

There are alot of specific business factors to consider when you ask a broad question like that.

I think most land owners would be pleased with the growth of their land equity the past few years...but it is not liquid until it is sold.

Grain prices have been above cost of production for most farmers that past few years unless they have a high overhead cost structure.

Many farmers are asset rich and often cash poor as they prefer to pay down debt ahead of throwing money around.

I agree with some of the Macleans article that farming has been more attractive the past 5-6 years than the previous era.

Every situation is different and not everyone has had success the past few years...it is still a tough profession with so much out of your control such as prices and weather.

Have a nice day,

RR

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Planting A Flag: AGCO All-In On Mixed-Fleet Aftermarket Ag Tech

Farmers have long self-segmented solely on the paint color of their favorite brands of farming equipment. Oh, you’re a green guy? You prefer John Deere tractors, combines and sprayers. Or maybe you overheard someone make an offhand remark that your farm is “all red.” That’s not a shot at your political party affiliation. It means Case IH is your preferred brand of equipment. No matter how you slice it, if you spend any time hanging around farmers it’s clear: they value loyalty and relationships. These long-standing, dyed-in-the-wool equipment allegiances do not die fast. They’re passed down like coveted family heirlooms from grandfather, to father, to son and daughter, and so on. It’s rather fitting then that AGCO Corporation, a major farm equipment player long left out of these pigment-based affinity groups, has signaled another evolution in its go-to-market strategy. HOW IS AGCO SHIFTING GEARS? The company is planting its flag as the farmer-first, mixed-fleet leader for afterm

Ag in Motion farm show combines business and fun

A small city sprouts up alongside the canola every year near Langham, Sask. That's where Ag in Motion holds its three-day outdoor farm show. The event attracts about 10,000 daily visitors to its 40-hectare site northwest of Saskatoon. "It's like they got one of everything out here," said Trevor Kwiatkowski. He farms grain and oil seed crops near Prince Albert, so he's always looking for the newest seeding and tilling technology. Live demonstrations of machinery in the field and opportunities to test it himself are what keep him coming back. "It's one of the best places to come and check out all the equipment," Kwiatkowski said. "There's usually enough people on staff to either train you on it or tell you what it's all about anyway. Otherwise, you're running from dealer to dealer trying to figure it out." The event attracts spectators and businesses from across North America. More than 600 exhibitors from the crop, livestock and other ag sectors were expected throughout the week, t

Machinery News: AGCO Reorganizes Ohio Dealer Network, John Deere Launches New Gator UTVs

AGCO Details Ohio Dealer Reshuffle, AgRevolution Expanding North When word leaked online that AGCO was pulling its brands out of a long-standing dealer, Ohio Ag Equipment, at the end of 2024, many were left wondering what would become of AGCO's presence in Ohio? The Duluth, Georgia-based manufacturer says it will lean on what it is calling several “well-established” local dealers to provide expanded service within the state. The company will also begin expanding its AgRevolution hub-and-spoke mobile dealer and service business model into the Buckeye State. According to AGCO: • The Ohio dealerships will all offer AGCO's full brand portfolio, including Fendt, Massey Ferguson® and PTx products and services, going forward. • Lowe & Young (Wooster, Ohio), Mayer Farm Equipment (Jeffersonville, Ohio), and North Star Hardware and Implement (North Star, Ohio) - the three local dealers AGCO has selected to fill Ohio Ag Equipment's void - will continue operating in their current geographic a

Machinery And Tech News: More John Deere Layoffs, DJI Details Global Ag Drone Usage

WQAD-8 ABC in Moline, Ill., is reporting that 345 more layoffs have hit John Deere's manufacturing operation in Waterloo, Iowa. The equipment company has now dismissed over a thousand workers from its plants and offices around the Midwest. Over 500 employees in total at the Waterloo plant, which normally employs north of 3,000 production workers, have been given walking papers. An additional seven employees in a Coffeyville, Kan., facility will also be dismissed as of August 9, according to WQAD. Deere told WQAD the changes are due to reduced demand for the products made at the Waterloo and Coffeyville facilities. The Association of Equipment Manufacturers (AEM) June 2024 U.S. combine and tractor sales metrics show both segments down considerably compared to June 2023. Deere assembles many of its combines at the Waterloo facility. John Deere says the dismissed employees are eligible for recall and severance packages. This latest round of layoffs comes fresh on the heels of mounti

Machinery and Tech News: Class-10+ Combine Hits North America, Taranis Launches GenAI Assistant

Claas unveiled its new Lexion 8900 Terra Trac combine this week at the Ag in Motion farm show in Saskatchewan, Canada. The newest entry to the Lexion lineup delivers 779 max horsepower from an efficient 16.2L MAN engine – an increase of 89 hp over the Lexion 8800 model, according to the company. Claas says the class-10+ combine is well suited for large-scale small grain operations. While the machine is new to North America, it’s been offered in select regions around the world since 2019. Other notable features include: 510-bushel grain tank 5.1 bushels per second unloading speed APS Synflow Hybrid system maximizes harvesting performance and efficiency by controlling threshing and separation systems independently. Cemos Automatic system automatically adjusts machine settings in real-time based on crop flow and changing crop conditions. Broad range of available CLAAS combine headers, including the new 50 ft./15.3 m wide CONVIO FLEX 1530 flex-belt draper header. Taranis Harnesses Gen

© 2024   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service