Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

What I have read on this site is nothing but small fry and sugar coated issues. Your government both fedral and provincial, have policy of providing jobs, keeping the plebs happy and renvue raising. It is no different to any other welfare dependant state, and country. But things have changed in the world, as the current recession has shown. No renvue or poor commodity prices leave a government open to black mail and one way oppertunities from overseas countries (China for one) and multinationals companies. This what has happen in Australia, example 1972 we sent our wheat board officials to deal with China, to sell wheat. They arrived at the hotel and armed guards were place at their door and chineses said you will except this price and you will not leave until it is signied. These are the people you are dealing with. Australia once exported to China now they own our mines, smelters, 70 of the work done here is now been done in China. They have started to send their own workers out to run the mines now. They have bought up our meat works and now starting to dictate foreign policies by blackmailing not to take our resources. Australia was brorrowing 60 million dollars a week from China last year. They had our new defence policy before our politions had write it. The Australian government have allowed them to dig up the most prime and productive farming land in Australia for coal. This what happens in the real world. But I am been racist. So before you say this is a conspiorsy theroy. Think twice who is writing your policys, a foriegn country, promosing to provide jobs and money. Ps your timber industry is up for grabs. Wait and see.

Views: 547

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting points...I don't think the timber industry is one to worry about....food, energy and raw materials for manufacturing are likely the areas that they need to secure for their own people first....Canada has lived beside the US for a while so we are familiar with sleeping with a super power. China and India are going to take a greater position on the world stage over the next 50 years...I agree that we should be thinking about policies that protect our gifts...natural resources and our people.

Good discussions.
I don't think that anyone should be labeled "racist" for making some factual observations. Although some of your comments would need to be verified, in general they certainly deserve careful consideration.

China is a superpower in the making and will undoubtedly act in the best interests of their humongous population. They cannot afford to have discontent among their people and will accordingly act in whatever way necessary. We have all the space and resources that they need.

That's gotta be darned attractive.
In fact they are snopping around in the Yukon, it was report they are after gold.

John said:
I don't think that anyone should be labeled "racist" for making some factual observations. Although some of your comments would need to be verified, in general they certainly deserve careful consideration.

China is a superpower in the making and will undoubtedly act in the best interests of their humongous population. They cannot afford to have discontent among their people and will accordingly act in whatever way necessary. We have all the space and resources that they need.

That's gotta be darned attractive.
don't know about the tunston story. But the Yukon government were entantaining a Chinese deligation last year seeking to expore for minerals. Now gone very hush hush.

Joann said:
maybe they need to restock with "real" gold bars?

tungsten is worth roughly $10 /pound.

"In October, the Hong Kong bankers discovered some gold bars shipped from the United States were actually tungsten with gold plating."

http://www.financialsense.com/fsu/editorials/willie/2009/1118.html

any truth to the story?
Bristow said:
In fact they are snopping around in the Yukon, it was report they are after gold.
This could be an issue that we should be concerned about since not only is Canada rich in resources but we are also open to foreign trade deals instead of a protectionist state. I find it kind of odd the theory is coming from Australia since in 2006 an inquiry found that the Australian Wheat Board (AWB) was the centre of an inquiry into the UN's Oil-for-Food program in Iraq. A quote from from December 2006 "A United Nations inquiry found that numerous aspects of the AWB/Alia relationship should have signalled AWB that the cash was going to the Baghdad offices of Saddam Hussein. The inquiry also found that AWB was the biggest single source of illicit funds collected by the regime." This ended up having Australian wheat being discounted in 2007 because of their less than professional dealings with the UN's program.
Also, consistent with the theory listed above, in an interview on Monday (Jan. 11th) afternoon the following was suggested as a geographical area to invest in agriculture: "Brazil and certain areas in South East Asia such as Malaysia and Indonesia. The next growth area, one that the world must turn to, is tropical Africa". Wage and energy costs are too high in Canada for foreign investors to buy up our farmland.
Finally there was a lot of issues going on in 1972 that we now know in hindsight should never have happened. One of those was the wheat robbery of 1972 that involved Russia and Canadian wheat.
China is just being aggressive in obtaining the necessities that they want. If we do not want to lose our companies to foreign ownership - pay up!
There is an interesting article on China's Economy in the Economist.

Here is the link:

http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?story_id=15270708&sou...

The Chinese government has also been reported to be buying vast tracks of farm land in Africa and other 3rd world countries because it is relatively cheap and is a good insurance against food shortages...
In regards to your farm land it is very cheap, from Australian view, you have a northern region that will become open very soon NW passage. And those pine trees look very inviting to passing ships as wood chip. Hearst is being hit very hard with the recession and land very cheap. Its not very hard to find plebs to work for a few dollars less when they have bills to pay. And your politions that are friendly to foreign investment, for votes, soon change their mines about enviroment issues. The first you will here about is after it is sign sealed and delivered on the 6pm news.

Wayne Black said:
This could be an issue that we should be concerned about since not only is Canada rich in resources but we are also open to foreign trade deals instead of a protectionist state. I find it kind of odd the theory is coming from Australia since in 2006 an inquiry found that the Australian Wheat Board (AWB) was the centre of an inquiry into the UN's Oil-for-Food program in Iraq. A quote from from December 2006 "A United Nations inquiry found that numerous aspects of the AWB/Alia relationship should have signalled AWB that the cash was going to the Baghdad offices of Saddam Hussein. The inquiry also found that AWB was the biggest single source of illicit funds collected by the regime." This ended up having Australian wheat being discounted in 2007 because of their less than professional dealings with the UN's program.
Also, consistent with the theory listed above, in an interview on Monday (Jan. 11th) afternoon the following was suggested as a geographical area to invest in agriculture: "Brazil and certain areas in South East Asia such as Malaysia and Indonesia. The next growth area, one that the world must turn to, is tropical Africa". Wage and energy costs are too high in Canada for foreign investors to buy up our farmland.
Finally there was a lot of issues going on in 1972 that we now know in hindsight should never have happened. One of those was the wheat robbery of 1972 that involved Russia and Canadian wheat.
China is just being aggressive in obtaining the necessities that they want. If we do not want to lose our companies to foreign ownership - pay up!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

Pulse Market Insight #250

Even though there are still three months left in the 2023/24 marketing year, most of the focus is on next year’s crop. Most of last year’s crop has already been sold but some farmers are still holding old-crop supplies that need to be marketed. At this time of year, the opportunities and risks for remaining old-crop supplies are magnified. The relationship between old-crop and new-crop bids is an important signal about how much risk and how much opportunity is left as the marketing year winds down. In general, a large difference between price levels means greater risk for remaining old-crop supplies. In 2023/24, prices for some pulse crops experienced extreme highs, which add to the vulnerability as the year winds down with the risk of a sharp drop outweighing the potential for higher prices. Old-crop prices for green peas are still running close to record highs at nearly $4.50 per bushel higher than the average new-crop bid. Once buyers have enough green peas to fill remaining sales

US Corn Ending Stocks Down on Greater Ethanol, Feed Demand

The USDA has trimmed its 2023-24 US corn ending stocks estimate from last month amid heavier ethanol and feed demand. In its latest monthly supply-demand estimates Thursday, the USDA pegged ending stocks at 2.122 billion bu, down 50 million from the March projection but still well above the previous year’s 1.36 billion. The USDA number was above the average pre-report trade guess of 2.109 billion, with futures trading 3-4 cents lower following the report’s noon ET release. On the demand side, corn used for ethanol was raised 25 million bu from March to 5.4 billion bu, compared to 5.176 billion in 2022-23. Feed use was bumped an identical 25 million bu higher to 6.805 billion – versus 6.558 billion last year – based on indicated disappearance during the December-February quarter. The USDA surprisingly left its 2023-24 Brazil corn production steady from last month at 124 million tonnes. Going into the report, most trader and analysts were expecting the Brazil crop to be lowered to

Map: Late Season Snow Improves Saskatchewan Runoff Conditions

Late season snowfalls at the end of March have improved spring runoff conditions in Saskatchewan, even as moisture levels in many areas of the province remain below, or well below normal levels.  In its latest spring runoff update on Friday (see map below), the Saskatchewan Water Security Agency said a mid-March snowstorm increased the expected additional runoff volumes to some degree across southern Alberta and southwestern Saskatchewan.  Much of this area across both provinces was snow free prior to the storm, the report said, adding that how quickly the snow melts will impact how much additional runoff will be experienced. With the area being so dry prior to the snowfall event, if a slow melt occurs, a lot of the water will infiltrate into the soil, it said. Another snowstorm in late March brought 5 to 15 cm of snow across most of eastern Saskatchewan, with the heavier snow falling in the northeastern portions of the grain belt.  A decent snowpack still exists in the Assiniboine

Livestock expansion unlikely until 2025, economists say

Despite some market signals that usually result in expansion, cattle and hog producers are likely to wait until at least 2025. Numbers are down for a variety of reasons in the cattle industry, says Derrell Peel, Extension livestock marketing economist with Oklahoma State University. Those factors include drought conditions throughout much of the country. “I haven’t seen anything starting despite these record high prices we’re seeing for calves,” he says. “Those price signals usually get expansion going, but it hasn’t happened yet.” Thousands of cows were culled in 2023 and going into 2024 because of drought. Producers struggled to find adequate grass to maintain the cattle inventory. “They had to make a difficult call,” Peel says. Because of the record prices last year, he says many producers sold heifers to take advantage of that income. Peel says because of that, it’s going to take longer to rebuild the herd. “Last year’s beef cow herd was the lowest we’ve seen since 1961, and

Consistency key to maintaining beef industry value

In the beef industry, consistency is key to just about everything. From sire and A.I. choices to ration options to market opportunities, producers can add value at each production stage based on their decisions. Garrett Englin, cattle buyer for JBS USA, said consistency is key for packers, too. Speaking at the 2024 Feedlot Forum in northwest Iowa, he told attendees how a current trend is helping. “Having cattle at the same size and same weight is key, and the beef-on-dairy crosses help a great deal in reaching and maintaining consistency,” he said in an Iowa State University Extension news release. “Being able to provide the same product to consumers starts with getting similar cattle from producers.” At the 2024 Feedlot Forum sponsored in part by the Iowa Beef Center and Iowa State University Extension and Outreach, Englin was asked to talk to the group about the beef-dairy cross that’s becoming very popular. A big part of how this approach works is the narrowing of genetic divers

© 2024   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service