Ontario Agriculture

The network for agriculture in Ontario, Canada

There is a serious problem with the smart meters, reading as much as 4 times the actual consumption.

 

We need to get everyone together.  I have already contacted 2 reporters, and started this blog http://h1ripoff.blogspot.com/

 

It may come down to a class action suit against Hydro One.  This is THEFT!

Views: 1301

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow! Did I read that right in the article?!?!...

"Beckett estimates that most homeowners will see an increase of 25 per cent on a typical electrical bill in coming months. That jump will come from the Ontario Energy Board rate increase, other charges related to the Green Energy Act and the introduction of the HST on July 1."

That doesn't even include the on-peak cost - which will be very costly for us who tend to milk cows through those peak hours.

Jennifer Garner said:
Get a gasifer to run your own power.
One has to wonder about Queen's Park and their abilities related to reasonable thought processes.

Premier McGuinty is bound and determined to channel and manipulate social behavior modifications on many fronts including energy consumption.

Smart Meters are being installed under the guise of enabling consumers' conservation efforts and taking firmer control of expenses. While many consumers are shifting consumption to off-peak hours, few are seeing any real savings.

Mr. McGuinty has provided Smart Meters to give the public the opportunity to save on energy use through less consumption and taking advantage of lower rates on off-peak hours. Isn't that the crux of his line? We are also being told that 80% of our hydro infrastructure needs to be replaced in the not to distant future.

If everyone lowers their hydro bills, the power companies will see a shortfall in their revenue. Who will pay for the shortfalls?

Why... that would be us!... one way or another.

So the energy companies spent months preparing for requests for rate increases. Hydro One wanted a 22% increase over 2 years.

No! No! No!. The public is already feeling the financial burdens from the new Smart Meter readings. The Green Tax has yet to be billed out and the HST will be an added sting.

No, the government wants first dibs on revenue so they nicely (sic) told the energy companies not to bother to ask for rate increases.

Woe is us!

Isn't there anyone thinking the process through..... at least until past Oct. 2001?
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontario/ontario-utilit...
Ontario utilities told not to bother with requests for rate increases



Andrew Campbell said:
Wow! Did I read that right in the article?!?!...
"Beckett estimates that most homeowners will see an increase of 25 per cent on a typical electrical bill in coming months. That jump will come from the Ontario Energy Board rate increase, other charges related to the Green Energy Act and the introduction of the HST on July 1." That doesn't even include the on-peak cost - which will be very costly for us who tend to milk cows through those peak hours.

Jennifer Garner said:
I am very energy savy, or I thought I was. 8 months ago I installed a good quality gas dryer,and gas stove,we also use those energy efficient light bulbs.I noticed a comfortable differance in my power usage.I was still using the old meter. My bills were reasonable,I was using about 500 kwh average all the way around. Then came the Smart Meter ,but it wasn't fully hooked up to their new way of reading them.My wife and I knew about the different times to use power efficiently. Well guess what? My power usage went down to average 350 kwh which is pretty low because we thought we were doing things right.Wrong. I seemed like Hydro 1 found out we changed appliances. I'm still consistant at 350 kwh,but the pricing cost went from sort of happy to when I had the old appliances. I realize there are some ifs and buts left out of this letter,but hands down, they are manipulating,dishonest,thats it, thats all.No one wants to disguss your concerns. Are they saying even that I lowerd my consumption I still pay the price. These smart meters are programmed to do one thing, but try to get proof. Has this happend to any one else? I'm sick of hearing from Hydro reps, Oh your meter is not reading correctly. My answer to that is " how can you bill me under these circumstances" One answer I got was " we averaged out from last years billings"I want to pay my fair share ,and pay for what I use. Sincerely ,Garry Slater
Gary it don't matter, how much you try to save or use less for the envorement, when it comes to buying elecity, oil, gas. The bottom line is revenue and profit for government and companies, do you think for one moment a government will reduce its spending to pay for all those perks like overseas trips, cars and mobile phones, laptops, bonuses, allowances, big pay packets for senior public servants, CEOs, members of the board and politians. The utility companies are out to make a profit and if you use less that means less money for them and the government, so next time when a government or company turns around they are going to do something to save you money, they aren't. Like taxes we stop paying this one, so they increase another. No amount of whining will get you anywhere. Only way is use new form of energy wood gas to run your home.

garry william slater said:
I am very energy savy, or I thought I was. 8 months ago I installed a good quality gas dryer,and gas stove,we also use those energy efficient light bulbs.I noticed a comfortable differance in my power usage.I was still using the old meter. My bills were reasonable,I was using about 500 kwh average all the way around. Then came the Smart Meter ,but it wasn't fully hooked up to their new way of reading them.My wife and I knew about the different times to use power efficiently. Well guess what? My power usage went down to average 350 kwh which is pretty low because we thought we were doing things right.Wrong. I seemed like Hydro 1 found out we changed appliances. I'm still consistant at 350 kwh,but the pricing cost went from sort of happy to when I had the old appliances. I realize there are some ifs and buts left out of this letter,but hands down, they are manipulating,dishonest,thats it, thats all.No one wants to disguss your concerns. Are they saying even that I lowerd my consumption I still pay the price. These smart meters are programmed to do one thing, but try to get proof. Has this happend to any one else? I'm sick of hearing from Hydro reps, Oh your meter is not reading correctly. My answer to that is " how can you bill me under these circumstances" One answer I got was " we averaged out from last years billings"I want to pay my fair share ,and pay for what I use. Sincerely ,Garry Slater
I am with u ...things in this province are at a boil .. the silent majority are not organized ..we the people hold the strings .. have we forgotten that ... .
Thanks for that reply, GS

Peter said:
I am with u ...things in this province are at a boil .. the silent majority are not organized ..we the people hold the strings .. have we forgotten that ... .
Richard:

I read the article in the London Free Press and decided to respond. We were away for the period January 5 to the end of March this year. That means our house was empty and using very minimal electricity. We have electric heat but all thermostats were down to 10 degrees C. Our hot water heater is gas heated. I came back to a whopping hydro bill of over $800.00 for the billing period January 21 to March 23. The house was empty!

I wrote to Hydro One on April 21 contesting this amount. I have yet to hear from them. I also emailed the Ontario Ombudsman about this matter yesterday.

There is definitely something very wrong with that meter!

I am interested in participating in any activity that can correct this situation.

Nelson Laporte
Please email me at jrwakefield@mcswiz.com so I can add you to the list. Keep an eye on my blog h1ripoff.blogsopt.com.

Nelson Laporte said:
Richard:

I read the article in the London Free Press and decided to respond. We were away for the period January 5 to the end of March this year. That means our house was empty and using very minimal electricity. We have electric heat but all thermostats were down to 10 degrees C. Our hot water heater is gas heated. I came back to a whopping hydro bill of over $800.00 for the billing period January 21 to March 23. The house was empty!

I wrote to Hydro One on April 21 contesting this amount. I have yet to hear from them. I also emailed the Ontario Ombudsman about this matter yesterday.

There is definitely something very wrong with that meter!

I am interested in participating in any activity that can correct this situation.

Nelson Laporte
These meters are made to rip you off! Thath's it thats ALL!!!GarrySlater

Richard Wakefield said:
Please email me at jrwakefield@mcswiz.com so I can add you to the list. Keep an eye on my blog h1ripoff.blogsopt.com.

Nelson Laporte said:
Richard:

I read the article in the London Free Press and decided to respond. We were away for the period January 5 to the end of March this year. That means our house was empty and using very minimal electricity. We have electric heat but all thermostats were down to 10 degrees C. Our hot water heater is gas heated. I came back to a whopping hydro bill of over $800.00 for the billing period January 21 to March 23. The house was empty!

I wrote to Hydro One on April 21 contesting this amount. I have yet to hear from them. I also emailed the Ontario Ombudsman about this matter yesterday.

There is definitely something very wrong with that meter!

I am interested in participating in any activity that can correct this situation.

Nelson Laporte
Is there a technology that the consumer can use to estimate their real electricity consumption....it seems to me that the Utilities have all of the information and power and consumers don't have any information to challenge is the smart meter really working? Nelson was away and still the smart meter was rolling at the $800 dollar clip...does not seem logical.

There must be a way to measure or accurately determine your electricity use...it does not really need to be that accurate.

RR

▶ Reply to Discussion

RSS

Agriculture Headlines from Farms.com Canada East News - click on title for full story

BC farmers gearing up for collection of pesticides and livestock medications this Fall

This October, Vancouver Island and Fraser Valley farmers in BC are readying to participate in Cleanfarms’ longest running environmental stewardship initiative: the Unwanted Pesticides and Old Livestock/Equine Medications (UPLM) program. Operating on a rotating schedule year-over-year, this well-loved Canada-wide program helps farmers in BC (and in other regions) protect their land and communities by accepting unwanted commercial-class pesticides and obsolete livestock/equine medications for safe disposal, free of charge. This year in BC, there are eight single-day collection events from October 6 to October 16, operating 9AM to 4PM daily: four in the Fraser Valley and four on Vancouver Island, including a first-time event in Port Alberni. “The reach of this year’s events means even greater convenience to BC farmers,” says UPLM’s Program Coordinator Heather Bradley. “Greater program participation, combined with the promotional work of our agricultural retail and regional district par

U.S. Winter Wheat Planting, Emergence Lagging

U.S. winter wheat planting made decent progress this past week but continues to lag last year and the five-year average. Emergence is also running behind. According to Monday’s USDA crop progress, 27% of the American winter wheat crop was planted as Sunday, up 10 percentage points from a week earlier. That was below both the 32% planted at the same point last year and the 2021-25 average of 34%. Meanwhile, winter wheat emergence also increased nationally, with 8% of the crop emerged, up from 2% the previous week. That remained below 12% last year and the five-year average of 11%. Kansas planting advanced to 18% from 10% the previous week, compared with 16% last year and the five-year average of 24%. Oklahoma reached 7% planted, up from 4% a week earlier, but well behind 30% last year and the 25% average. Michigan moved to 18% planted from 14%, ahead of 15% last year and equal to the five-year average. No planting progress was reported for Ohio as of Sunday; the state was 10% p

FCC Economists Examine Trade, Interest Rates and Economic Risks Facing Agriculture

Farm Credit Canada is highlighting trade uncertainty, interest rates and broader financial conditions as key economic issues for Canadian farmers and agribusinesses through the remainder of 2026. In an economic update webinar released Tuesday, FCC’s economics team reviews the major economic and financial variables affecting farms, food and beverage manufacturers and agribusinesses, while providing its outlook for the months ahead. The 39-minute presentation features FCC chief economist Craig Johnston, principal economist Krishen Rangasamy and deputy chief economist Desmond Sobool. The update comes amid a challenging backdrop for the Canadian economy, including renewed U.S. trade barriers, geopolitical uncertainty and elevated borrowing costs. FCC has previously estimated Canadian economic growth at around 1% for 2026, with trade restrictions weighing on non-energy exports and contributing to weaker business conditions. Interest rates are another important consideration. Alth

Manitoba Harvest Passes Halfway Mark

The Manitoba harvest passed the halfway mark this past week, although rainfall, fog and heavy dews continued to limit fieldwork in several parts of the province. Tuesday’s weekly crop report showed the Manitoba harvest at 51% complete as of Monday, up from 43% a week earlier. The largest regional advance came in the Northwest, where overall harvest progress jumped to 40% from 24%. The Central region moved to 71% from 64%, the Eastern region to 66% from 62%, the Interlake to 59% from 56%, and the Southwest to 32% from 27%. Provincially, spring wheat harvest reached 77%, up from 71% a week earlier. Barley advanced to 81% from 76%, oats to 72% from 66%, and canola to 57% from 43%. Peas remained at 96% complete, while soybean harvest increased to 5% from 1%. Dry bean harvest doubled to 32% done. Quality concerns are becoming more prominent in later-harvested cereals, with sprouting, weathering, and bleaching causing downgrades in some areas, the report said. Canola yields are gener

Secretary Naig Welcomes Applications for Urban Water Quality Project Grants

Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Mike Naig today announced that the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship (IDALS) is accepting pre-applications for cost-share grants to support urban conservation and water quality projects. The locally led projects, available to Iowa communities of all sizes, support implementation of the Iowa Nutrient Reduction Strategy and are part of the state’s continued efforts to improve water quality. “Communities – big and small – have been putting proven conservation practices to work to improve water quality across Iowa since 2015,” said Secretary Naig. “From managing stormwater to reducing nutrient loss and protecting local waterways, these locally led projects help improve water quality and mitigate urban flooding. Many of these projects also become attractive community features that enhance quality of life. IDALS will continue working alongside communities to deliver cleaner water for Iowans because there is no finish line when it comes to cons

© 2026   Created by Darren Marsland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service